Glendale Lease Drama Thread: Part II (REMINDER in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You really want to shut them up? Get this type of stupidity to stop and start filling the building. They don't spent much time on SJ, LA Ana, Tampa and so on these days as there is no story. You expect them not to write about a train wreck in the sport they are all paid to cover?? You think US scribes didn't write about the Expos and their challenges for years before the relocated. That's their job.

I don't mind if the Canadian media write about us, just have your facts straight. Go over the the BOH and read some of the crap they write. The problem is, they aren't doing their job.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You really want to shut them up? Get this type of stupidity to stop and start filling the building. They don't spent much time on SJ, LA Ana, Tampa and so on these days as there is no story. You expect them not to write about a train wreck in the sport they are all paid to cover?? You think US scribes didn't write about the Expos and their challenges for years before the relocated. That's their job.

Nice misdirection.:shakehead

The Canadian media crossed the line between reporting and campaigning long ago. We're sick of them campaigning and advocating for a relocation (to a Canadian village, of course).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So my comparison to the Expos was even more correct than I thought.
Nice misdirection.:shakehead

The Canadian media crossed the line between reporting and campaigning long ago. We're sick of them campaigning and advocating for a relocation (to a Canadian village, of course).

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

I follow baseball closely, and can tell you that they didn't, really. Your reference to the Expos does a good job of illustrating the difference in coverage. We did not see the Expos routinely referred to as not deserving of a team. U.S. media was not bellowing for a relocation of the franchise.

It is this preoccupation on the topic of the Coyotes' financial health by certain Canadian reporters that is so annoying.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It is this preoccupation on the topic of the Coyotes' financial health by certain Canadian reporters that is so annoying.

Preoccupation is one thing. Unvarnished schadenfreude is quite another. And that's what writers like Ken Campbell, Rick Westhead, David Shoalts, Gary Lawless, Bruce Garrioch, and so many other Canadian reporters bring to their Coyotes coverage.

The schadenfreude is the element that people here object to, not the coverage. It's the same tipping point upon which the BoH can go from being a speculative discussion on hockey business to a place to avoid like the plague.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

The more that I look at our market for hockey being attacked, the more I'm convinced that it has less to do with hockey and more with something else. What is that something else you may ask? How about because of the politics of Arizona? If you look at the articles outside of sports here from those same media organizations that are Anti-Coyotes, you'll see more of an Anti-Arizona take considering the politics in Arizona is quite the polar opposite of these media organizations. Not to mention, many of these media organizations are in a country(Canada) where the politics there are the polar opposite of that of Arizona.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The more that I look at our market for hockey being attacked, the more I'm convinced that it has less to do with hockey and more with something else. What is that something else you may ask? How about because of the politics of Arizona? If you look at the articles outside of sports here from those same media organizations that are Anti-Coyotes, you'll see more of an Anti-Arizona take considering the politics in Arizona is quite the polar opposite of these media organizations. Not to mention, many of these media organizations are in a country(Canada) where the politics there are the polar opposite of that of Arizona.

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the fact that a) hockey is Canada's national sporting identity and b) Arizona is a desert-climate state.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
IA won't lose this case if it goes to court, very little chance of that. I do think IA settles it, throws the COG a bone, something minor. That way the new COG members can pound their chest a little and the Coyotes can avoid more bad perception affecting their business moving forward. Bad press is bad press, best to avoid it or end it if you can.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
To put it really simple, Canadians just don't care about politics, never have and probably never will. We don't care about our own politics and politicians and we surely don't care about those in AZ. Most Canadians barely know who their own Member of Parliament is or what he/she believes in. Politics is one area where Canadians and Americans are really different. The media attention is based purely on a love and infatuation with hockey and they don't understand why there is such a fight for it where it is barely relevant and no fight for it where it's like a religion. And it sells advertising if you give the people somehing to watch/read.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is a general subscription amongst population of Canada that AZ doesn't deserve a team while markets like Quebec do. I get their logic in they could make more $ today. That being said the whole economic circumstances that led to franchises fleeing Canada is rarely acknowledged. Few Canadians discuss how close both Edmonton and Calgary came to moving as well and how they and the Canucks relied on NHL transfer payments for years to stay afloat. It wasn't always rosy in Canada. Otherwise, how did the franchise's move in the first place!!!!!!

Here's my thought on Quebec. If they leave Canada and are forced to establish their own currency, does their dollar start above or below $0.30 U.S.? Does that also drop Cdn dollar to a level where the U.S. Expenses become problematic for Canadian franchises? Very real questions that are too often ignored by the Cdn media. It's a much easier story to write about how attendance sucks in AZ and we should move the team to where it will be supported.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not to mention the Canadian dollar may be saying hello to sub 70 cents in the next year. There will be plenty of teams with reason for concern in Canada and the US should that occur, the effect on revenue would be kinda big.
There is a general subscription amongst population of Canada that AZ doesn't deserve a team while markets like Quebec do. I get their logic in they could make more $ today. That being said the whole economic circumstances that led to franchises fleeing Canada is rarely acknowledged. Few Canadians discuss how close both Edmonton and Calgary came to moving as well and how they and the Canucks relied on NHL transfer payments for years to stay afloat. It wasn't always rosy in Canada. Otherwise, how did the franchise's move in the first place!!!!!!

Here's my thought on Quebec. If they leave Canada and are forced to establish their own currency, does their dollar start above or below $0.30 U.S.? Does that also drop Cdn dollar to a level where the U.S. Expenses become problematic for Canadian franchises? Very real questions that are too often ignored by the Cdn media.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To put it really simple, Canadians just don't care about politics, never have and probably never will. We don't care about our own politics and politicians and we surely don't care about those in AZ. Most Canadians barely know who their own Member of Parliament is or what he/she believes in. Politics is one area where Canadians and Americans are really different. The media attention is based purely on a love and infatuation with hockey and they don't understand why there is such a fight for it where it is barely relevant and no fight for it where it's like a religion. And it sells advertising if you give the people somehing to watch/read.

I have lived most my live in Canada and still have many family members still living there, but to say Canadians never have cared about politics etc. etc. is your point of view and only an assumption on your part, and if you ask me full of bull----. They may not be as vocal as Americans, but they care.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Politics is politics no matter where you live, but Arizona takes it to another level of corruption and stupidity.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'll stick with my assessment. In my 10 years of summer in Canada and winter in AZ I hear more conversations on politics in my winter than a lifetime of summers in Canada. Canadians really are just a much more passive group than Americans.
I have lived most my live in Canada and still have many family members still living there, but to say Canadians never have cared about politics etc. etc. is your point of view and only an assumption on your part, and if you ask me full of bull----. They may not be as vocal as Americans, but they care.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Quebec separation or Can $ under 70 cents??

Separation.

There's a portion of Canadian fans that are just terrible human beings. Openly cheering for others to lose their teams, saying that growing the game isn't a priority, hockey doesn't 'belong' in warm climates, it's 'our game' despite most teams being American etc... The whole make it seven campaign was disgusting. So was the Jets meter on TSN.

I'm happy that the league understands the importance of new markets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Here's my thought on Quebec. If they leave Canada and are forced to establish their own currency, does their dollar start above or below $0.30 U.S.? Does that also drop Cdn dollar to a level where the U.S. Expenses become problematic for Canadian franchises? Very real questions that are too often ignored by the Cdn media. It's a much easier story to write about how attendance sucks in AZ and we should move the team to where it will be supported.

Quebec has threatened to leave Canada years ago, I'm thinking early 70's. Not going to happen. It's all politics.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

All evidence to the contrary. We haven't had a real secessionist movement since the civil war. Canada continually deals with the Quebec movement. That's politics, pure and simple.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am talking about from the general public. We obviously have politicians promising unicorn farts for everyone but in general in Canada Joe Public does not spend any significant amount of time concerning themselves with Ottawa and it's politicians. Like I said a large amount of the population wouldn't know their MP.
All evidence to the contrary. We haven't had a real secessionist movement since the civil war. Canada continually deals with the Quebec movement. That's politics, pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad