Glendale Lease Drama Thread: Part II (REMINDER in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Problem is the timing killed us in attracting new blood to the team. We were left with leftovers, guys who were third choices for other clubs who we got for $0.80 on the dollar on short-term deals. Don't get me wrong Maloney has band aided a more competitive team for next season but we are still on paper a bottom 5 team. Instead of getting beat 5-1, it might be 4-2.

I don't think I buy that logic. What signings elsewhere would have made sense here for the same dollars in this years UFA market?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
No, that's exactly what I meant to say. People have complained that the Canadian media and some fans don't give the Coyotes respect. And the guy I quoted gave the recipe to shut them up. Resolve the problem with the team. Until it is solved in some manner, don't be surprised with the nay sayers.

So you guys ***** and moan about the Coyotes in AZ because our team doesn't win and we haven't had stable ownership in years? I'm curious, if a Canadian team runs into rough times, will you and your lot be equally as pretentious? Hopefully we can find out.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
What really sucks is this constant drama has to make it extremely difficult to sell season tickets. It seems every off season for the past 5-6 years has been nothing but a circus. I can't even count the amount of times I've had casuals say something like "The Coyotes are leaving this summer aren't they?" How the hell do you sell tickets and market the team in that environment?!

Our local media doesn't help at all, they hardly ever mention the yotes except for the arena and ownership problems.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So you guys ***** and moan about the Coyotes in AZ because our team doesn't win and we haven't had stable ownership in years? I'm curious, if a Canadian team runs into rough times, will you and your lot be equally as pretentious? Hopefully we can find out.

How dare you! No team from a traditional hockey market has ever run into rough times, ever! Only those damn sun belt teams. :sarcasm:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think I buy that logic. What signings elsewhere would have made sense here for the same dollars in this years UFA market?

What players said no thanks to even coming to an unstable situation?

We have budget left. We have few deals longer than 2 years. We might have been able to do more if this issue wasn't front and centre at free agency.

I'd like to know if Hamilton had any influence on where he ended up for example or whether any potential deal was nixed by a players preference to not go to AZ.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

We have budget left. We have few deals longer than 2 years. We might have been able to do more if this issue wasn't front and centre at free agency.

I'd like to know if Hamilton had any influence on where he ended up for example or whether any potential deal was nixed by a players preference to not go to AZ.

Hamilton did not have an NTC, so that one does not work. I am just asking what UFA signed elsewhere that we would have signed for the same money/contract, that would have helped our club?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He didn't have a NTC bc he didn't have a contract. So if he indicates that he has little or no interest in signing a reasonable contract with team X, Y, Z, he effectively nixes a trade.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hamilton did not have an NTC, so that one does not work. I am just asking what UFA signed elsewhere that we would have signed for the same money/contract, that would have helped our club?

a NTC isn't the only way to influence things.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree, if this was going to happen, this was the best year for it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He didn't have a NTC bc he didn't have a contract. So if he indicates that he has little or no interest in signing a reasonable contract with team X, Y, Z, he effectively nixes a trade.

Yes, but in this case, a team would have offer-sheeted him. He has to agree of course, but unless he wants to play on his QO, he needs to sign a sheet. Nobody is going to put him into 4 firsts territory (7.3m+). The Coyotes would have been able to match any sheet.

It's more likely that the Coyotes were never in on Hamilton in a serious way, or that Maloney didn't want to risk having a player that didn't want to be here. Friedman said other GMs were furious when they saw Treliving on the trade call because there was basically no auction at all. Sweeney made a panic trade.

It would have been nice to be on the receiving end of one of those, but that would require a decisive GM.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What goes around, comes around.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We may never know, and like I mentioned earlier, if it had to happen, this was the year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, but in this case, a team would have offer-sheeted him. He has to agree of course, but unless he wants to play on his QO, he needs to sign a sheet. Nobody is going to put him into 4 firsts territory (7.3m+). The Coyotes would have been able to match any sheet.

It's more likely that the Coyotes were never in on Hamilton in a serious way, or that Maloney didn't want to risk having a player that didn't want to be here. Friedman said other GMs were furious when they saw Treliving on the trade call because there was basically no auction at all. Sweeney made a panic trade.

It would have been nice to be on the receiving end of one of those, but that would require a decisive GM.

We are just guessing on the Hamilton deal. We don't know what happened,so you can't blame DM or Sweeney as far as that goes. On the outside it looks like Sweeney made a panic move, but again, we don't know all the details.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Judging by the comments and tone from both Maloney and Leblanc I think we were very in on Hamilton. If Boston has two offers of equal value and they talk to the agent about where he would sign and they say they strongly prefer Calgary you accommodate the player. Heck if you are Maloney and you get permission to talk to an agent and he basically says he client would strongly prefer to not go to AZ you instantly fall out of the running. You can't make the deal and hope he changes his mind. I mean we tried that with Turris and he was run out of the dressing room within 5 games.

CoyoteCool

Jun 28, 2015
I'll be there, I've been attending Coyotes games regularly since 09 season. Have been a season ticket holder for all years except last year. I'm just pointing out how the crap will stop.

Then we have much in common; I too have been an STH since '09. And, we both want nothing but the best for our Coyotes. Cheers!

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014

I'm not moaning about the Coyotes. Couldn't care less if they stay or go. I was just agreeing with Jamieh (who is a Coyote fan), that the only way to stop the discussion is to change the team and the results on the ice. Easier said than done, but that's what happened in Nashville, and the chirping stopped.
No other team in the history of the NHL has lasted this long, with drama virtually every off season. As a Coyote fan, you may not like the talk, but it's going to continue until something changes.
And as far as a Canadian team or teams going through it, they have and they will again. When the Canucks were hurting, I was totally opposed to any public money funding them. The NHL is a privately owned business, with the profits staying there. Yes, there are spinoff benefits, but if the team can't make it without handouts, I feel it should fold or move. I love hockey, but I can live without the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not moaning about the Coyotes. Couldn't care less if they stay or go. I was just agreeing with Jamieh (who is a Coyote fan), that the only way to stop the discussion is to change the team and the results on the ice. Easier said than done, but that's what happened in Nashville, and the chirping stopped.
No other team in the history of the NHL has lasted this long, with drama virtually every off season. As a Coyote fan, you may not like the talk, but it's going to continue until something changes.
And as far as a Canadian team or teams going through it, they have and they will again. When the Canucks were hurting, I was totally opposed to any public money funding them. The NHL is a privately owned business, with the profits staying there. Yes, there are spinoff benefits, but if the team can't make it without handouts, I feel it should fold or move. I love hockey, but I can live without the NHL.

I couldn't care less if the Canadian press write a story or not about the Coyotes, as long as they get their facts and figures correct, not going off half---- and write a bunch of bull----. The fans will come once the Coyotes start winning, and we are heading in that direction, but it doesn't happen overnight after ten years of unstable ownership.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for the hot take. You have added a new perspective desperately needed.

EDIT: Sometimes I think people may not get that I'm being sarcastic and condescending. This is one of those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad