Glendale Lease Drama Thread: Part II (REMINDER in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Americans live in an environment where by and large the world revolves around us. We don't feel much effect of Canadian events or policy changes. Canadians, on the other hand, are intimately aware of, and affected by US policy and events. They routinely feel "yanked" by the chain that connects our two countries while we in the US rarely feel even a gentle tug. This leads to an increased feeling of nationalism vis a vis the US and the relocation issue is an expression of this nationalism.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Quebec has threatened to leave Canada years ago, I'm thinking early 70's. Not going to happen. It's all politics.

2 votes already. The leader of separatist group is the guy heading the company that owns arena in Quebec.

Yes it's politics but there is growing dissection amongst rest of Canada for having to subsidize the province of Quebec to the tune of 2 billion annually. Equal chance the leave and/or west separates.

The very real threat is a Cdn dollar in that $0.65-$0.70 range. That's where it was when Jets moved and the other western Cdn teams were having issues. Ottawa relocates for sure if we get near those numbers again.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The very real threat is a Cdn dollar in that $0.65-$0.70 range. That's where it was when Jets moved and the other western Cdn teams were having issues. Ottawa relocates for sure if we get near those numbers again.

How long the loonie stayed at those levels would have a substantial bearing on relocation. It wasn't that long ago the Canadian dollar traded ~ $1.10-$1.15 against the greenback. It didn't stay there for long but currencies do fluctuate significantly over the longer time horizon.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How long the loonie stayed at those levels would have a substantial bearing on relocation. It wasn't that long ago the Canadian dollar traded ~ $1.10-$1.15 against the greenback. It didn't stay there for long but currencies do fluctuate significantly over the longer time horizon.

Of course.

The dollar traded for years in the $0.60-$0.70 range versus a few weeks above par. Given forecast on oil the very real likelihood is a lower cdn dollar for next several years.

I just want to see the same due diligence on the health of the cdn franchises when things change. As it stands today ott is in trouble.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Of course.

The dollar traded for years in the $0.60-$0.70 range versus a few weeks above par. Given forecast on oil the very real likelihood is a lower cdn dollar for next several years.

I just want to see the same due diligence on the health of the cdn franchises when things change. As it stands today ott is in trouble.

Agreed. At least 4 Canadian organizations could have issues with a protracted lower cdn dollar. Those fans would have every right to expect the NHL to bend over backwards to keep the ownerships in place and in Canada. The NHL would need to do at least what it has done for Arizona. In the end, if threatened, those Canadian fans may point to Arizona as the model they should expect for troubled franchises. FWIW, I hope it never comes to that for any of those teams.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. At least 4 Canadian organizations could have issues with a protracted lower cdn dollar. Those fans would have every right to expect the NHL to bend over backwards to keep the ownerships in place and in Canada. The NHL would need to do at least what it has done for Arizona. In the end, if threatened, those Canadian fans may point to Arizona as the model they should expect for troubled franchises. FWIW, I hope it never comes to that for any of those teams.

Nobody here does. We know how that sucks firsh hand.

I just wish we were given that same amount of respect from the fans of other teams. Instead of having rubbed in our faces at every opportunity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
2 votes already. The leader of separatist group is the guy heading the company that owns arena in Quebec.

Yes it's politics but there is growing dissection amongst rest of Canada for having to subsidize the province of Quebec to the tune of 2 billion annually. Equal chance the leave and/or west separates.

Same argument in the 70's. Not going to happen. Everyone is all talk no action. Back in the day there was talk that the West would separate and join the US.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
You really want to shut them up? Get this type of stupidity to stop and start filling the building. They don't spent much time on SJ, LA Ana, Tampa and so on these days as there is no story. You expect them not to write about a train wreck in the sport they are all paid to cover?? You think US scribes didn't write about the Expos and their challenges for years before the relocated. That's their job.

Exactly. This farce has been ongoing for nearly a decade. The Boots Del Baggio/Nashville situation was as heated between Predator fans and those who felt the team should be moved due to poor support, and once they got a team that won and stable ownership, the critics were silenced.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just wish we were given that same amount of respect from the fans of other teams. Instead of having rubbed in our faces at every opportunity.

There are days where I wish fans of other teams would be forced to experience what we have over the past decade - or, not even the full experience, but just a percentage of it. Just to give them perspective.

Then I chastise myself because I wouldn't wish that on anyone else, not even the most virulent "Make It Seven" whackadoodle.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There are days where I wish fans of other teams would be forced to experience what we have over the past decade - or, not even the full experience, but just a percentage of it. Just to give them perspective.

Then I chastise myself because I wouldn't wish that on anyone else, not even the most virulent "Make It Seven" whackadoodle.

I almost miss the old MakeItSeven days when you compare it to today.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Same argument in the 70's. Not going to happen. Everyone is all talk no action. Back in the day there was talk that the West would separate and join the US.

I wasn't able to vote when 70s referendum happened. I was around for 90's vote.

I would vote for West to separate if they vote a third time. I've had enough of the political gamesmanship.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

It may make a difference for some but it won't make a difference for others. Notice how many in the Penguins fanbase continue to take shots at our market for hockey while turning a blind eye to their dark days, these same dark days that can return again once the days of the of Crosby and Malkin are over. Notice how many Kings Fans ignore their dark days with the bankruptcy in 1995 where even others stop following the Kings and started following the Ducks instead as a result and still we get those shots we don't want. Notice how the Preds Fans are taking shots at us while they turn a blind eye to the days where they faced the threat of relocation.

All it takes is a little bit of success in order to get to the best of others in sports. When things go right for a franchise, those same fans and 'fans' think they have the right to throw stones from house still not made of solid concrete, even towards other fanbases that have shown then support in the past. Also, success often seems to give other fans and 'fans' the right to ignore or look to re-write the history of the dark days.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Exactly. This farce has been ongoing for nearly a decade. The Boots Del Baggio/Nashville situation was as heated between Predator fans and those who felt the team should be moved due to poor support, and once they got a team that won and stable ownership, the critics were silenced.

But we don't have a winning team and we don't have stable ownership. So you're saying you understand why our team still has low attendance? I don't think that's what you meant to say, but it's funny that you did.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
IA won't lose this case if it goes to court, very little chance of that. I do think IA settles it, throws the COG a bone, something minor. That way the new COG members can pound their chest a little and the Coyotes can avoid more bad perception affecting their business moving forward. Bad press is bad press, best to avoid it or end it if you can.

This reminds me of the South Park episode Canada on strike. Glendale gets something small to bring back to the people and say "we won, here is our prize" but really they lost more than what they have gained

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wasn't able to vote when 70s referendum happened. I was around for 90's vote.

I would vote for West to separate if they vote a third time. I've had enough of the political gamesmanship.

Not sure if they still do it, but I use to turn on the television and watch all the MP's in Parliament yell and and scream at each other. It was like watching six year old kids at recess.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This reminds me of the South Park episode Canada on strike. Glendale gets something small to bring back to the people and say "we won, here is our prize" but really they lost more than what they have gained

That is exactly what is going to happen.

CoyoteCool

Jun 28, 2015
You really want to shut them up? Get this type of stupidity to stop and start filling the building. They don't spent much time on SJ, LA Ana, Tampa and so on these days as there is no story. You expect them not to write about a train wreck in the sport they are all paid to cover?? You think US scribes didn't write about the Expos and their challenges for years before the relocated. That's their job.

Not gonna get down in the mud with you. Hope we have your active support in filling our building.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Indeed. The new members can say "look what we negotiated", use it in their next election. That is really all this is about. The Coyotes throw them a bone to stop some of the negative press and uncertainty that is likely effecting advertising deals and ticket sales. The Coyotes could go to court and try to stick it to the COG for millions in damages but the problem is, they would never collect. Glendale would file BK and blame the Coyotes for it and the Coyotes would never collect anyway as they would be at the back of the line. This is why a settlement makes sense to both sides.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Problem is the timing killed us in attracting new blood to the team. We were left with leftovers, guys who were third choices for other clubs who we got for $0.80 on the dollar on short-term deals. Don't get me wrong Maloney has band aided a more competitive team for next season but we are still on paper a bottom 5 team. Instead of getting beat 5-1, it might be 4-2.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Problem is the timing killed us in attracting new blood to the team. We were left with leftovers, guys who were third choices for other clubs who we got for $0.80 on the dollar on short-term deals. Don't get me wrong Maloney has band aided a more competitive team for next season but we are still on paper a bottom 5 team. Instead of getting beat 5-1, it might be 4-2.

Fine by me. Let the kids get some experience, don't roll over and die every night, and get another top player through the draft, who can also be a core piece to build around.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What really sucks is this constant drama has to make it extremely difficult to sell season tickets. It seems every off season for the past 5-6 years has been nothing but a circus. I can't even count the amount of times I've had casuals say something like "The Coyotes are leaving this summer aren't they?" How the hell do you sell tickets and market the team in that environment?!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'll be there, I've been attending Coyotes games regularly since 09 season. Have been a season ticket holder for all years except last year. I'm just pointing out how the crap will stop.
Not gonna get down in the mud with you. Hope we have your active support in filling our building.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
But we don't have a winning team and we don't have stable ownership. So you're saying you understand why our team still has low attendance? I don't think that's what you meant to say, but it's funny that you did.
No, that's exactly what I meant to say. People have complained that the Canadian media and some fans don't give the Coyotes respect. And the guy I quoted gave the recipe to shut them up. Resolve the problem with the team. Until it is solved in some manner, don't be surprised with the nay sayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->