Glendale Lease Drama Thread: Part II (REMINDER in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You guys get too worked up over these people. Most of them have never even been to Arizona so all they know is what the angry Canadian media tells them. The way I see it is we live in one of the best areas in the world. That's why it's a melting pot and so many people will only show up to see a winner and you have to win consistently for a long time to build the fan base. With all the drama and losing along with the fact that we play the most non-offensive, boring style in the league where the coach prefers scrap heap vets, it's easy to see why the attendance is poor. Trying to get our northern friends to understand this is a waste of time. I hear all that ice and snow makes you grumpy so go easy on them.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's all context.

What the outsiders tend to be able to do is hold two completely separate concepts of the Coyotes in their heads - one, a normal NHL franchise, and two, a big decade-long mess in the courts and in ownership. They are able to divorce the two concepts in their own personal worldview, and as such they tend not to have much sympathy for Coyotes fans because they fail to recognize - or choose not to recognize - that holding those two concepts as unique entities is a fallacy. Hence, they can post such gems as, "You need to fill the building!" with absolutely no sense of irony or empathy.

Another issue is that no ownership crisis has ever gone on as long as this one has with as much relentless season-end uncertainty. If people understood that completely, maybe they'd be dropping by to express their frank astonishment and admiration that there are any fans of the franchise left at all.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I saw last year as a great chance for the Coyotes to start a full reset on the future. They had an owner, a great arena deal, and a couple of promising pieces on the ice. I think they really dropped the ball by forgetting that they are in the entertainment business and not the Stanley Cup business. While it would be nice to have an arena full of die hard fans who understand that there needs to be a few years of pain before some gain that just isn't the case at the present time. The Coyotes gave us the worst lineup in my 6 years of attending games. And I'm not talking about the skill level, to be honest most nights winning or losing isn't a big deal for me. But I want to be entertained. I want to leave the rink after seeing an exciting hockey game with speed, skill, hits, and so on. This is where I think the team failed last year. You can lose games and not lose fans by providing them with a good experience. But when you went last year and watched the effort put forward by most players on most nights I could not help but leave feeling cheated out of my money, I can't imagine how non hockey fans must have felt. To me it isn't rocket science, if you can't have a lineup that can beat the other team with skill you need a team that will work their butts off and be able to skate with anyone. These players are readily available throughout the league but instead of finding them we settle for the same bumbling idiots of years gone past. I think this year's team is being built with entertainment and work ethic in mind but I fear much damage was done with last year's scrap heap. I hope I am wrong.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
We did everything we were told to do and our landlord still came knocking. This isn't because we aren't filling the stadium. This is because Glendale is ran by idiots

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I simply stated that there is only one way to shut up the media, support the team and stop fighting with landlord. It really is that simple.

It really isn't that simple at all. There is nothing whatsoever that we can do about the infighting between Glendale and IceArizona. And nothing the Coyotes fans do is of the slightest interest to the Canadian sporting media unless it a) fits their narrative that there will never be enough fan support here (e.g. a nice, juicy shot of a sparse crowd at a viewing party or somesuch) or b) offers them a chance to spoof us (e.g. the lamentable speakers at the CoG council meeting or the town halls).

Over at the BoH they are 1000% convinced that the Coyotes are moving elsewhere by next summer at the absolute latest. In this context - that the Coyotes are a lame duck team - would you expect the building to be filled? No reasonable person would... but these people are not reasonable, and so they will point to it as yet another example of why hockey should not ever be played in a desert.

We can win no victories in the Northern press. The very best case scenario is that we silence them in the short term. What that will take is solid ownership, no relocation drama, and a subsequent increase in fan investment. But even that will not be enough, because they will simply be marshaling new arguments to support their conviction that we don't belong.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I saw last year as a great chance for the Coyotes to start a full reset on the future. They had an owner, a great arena deal, and a couple of promising pieces on the ice. I think they really dropped the ball by forgetting that they are in the entertainment business and not the Stanley Cup business. While it would be nice to have an arena full of die hard fans who understand that there needs to be a few years of pain before some gain that just isn't the case at the present time. The Coyotes gave us the worst lineup in my 6 years of attending games. And I'm not talking about the skill level, to be honest most nights winning or losing isn't a big deal for me. But I want to be entertained. I want to leave the rink after seeing an exciting hockey game with speed, skill, hits, and so on. This is where I think the team failed last year. You can lose games and not lose fans by providing them with a good experience. But when you went last year and watched the effort put forward by most players on most nights I could not help but leave feeling cheated out of my money, I can't imagine how non hockey fans must have felt. To me it isn't rocket science, if you can't have a lineup that can beat the other team with skill you need a team that will work their butts off and be able to skate with anyone. These players are readily available throughout the league but instead of finding them we settle for the same bumbling idiots of years gone past. I think this year's team is being built with entertainment and work ethic in mind but I fear much damage was done with last year's scrap heap. I hope I am wrong.

While I would like to see a sellout streak going, that doesn't mean it's an end to all of our problems. Do you know the Sharks are losing money even with great attendance and high ticket prices? The Sharks have one of the biggest fanbases in the league and the Bay Area market still gets attacked over hockey(though not as hard as the Phoenix market) by the relocationists.

Did you know that despite the sellout steak going by the LA Kings that the fanbase has been stigmatized with the 'bandwagon' label(like the Blackhawks and Penguins fanbases also) by those who would like to see the Kings relocated? Anaheim gets it's fair share of attacks no matter what they do but all 3 NHL fanbases in California over the years have been dishing the shots to each other at about the same rate as the relocationists have.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not moaning about the Coyotes. Couldn't care less if they stay or go. I was just agreeing with Jamieh (who is a Coyote fan), that the only way to stop the discussion is to change the team and the results on the ice. Easier said than done, but that's what happened in Nashville, and the chirping stopped.
No other team in the history of the NHL has lasted this long, with drama virtually every off season. As a Coyote fan, you may not like the talk, but it's going to continue until something changes.
And as far as a Canadian team or teams going through it, they have and they will again. When the Canucks were hurting, I was totally opposed to any public money funding them. The NHL is a privately owned business, with the profits staying there. Yes, there are spinoff benefits, but if the team can't make it without handouts, I feel it should fold or move. I love hockey, but I can live without the NHL.

The more things change, the more things stay the same. I just love hearing the opinions of people thousands of miles away who just want to stick it to us a little bit when they get the chance.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
The more things change, the more things stay the same. I just love hearing the opinions of people thousands of miles away who just want to stick it to us a little bit when they get the chance.
I'm not sticking it to your team. I simply agreed with a Coyote fan about how to resolve the mess that has been ongoing for 6 years.
Not once have I ever said anything negative about the Coyote fans or anyone on this board. The fans you have are awesome. You deserve better. I know Phoenix has longterm fans. I remember watching the Phoenix Roadrunners in the WHL when they came to Vancouver before the NHL.
And while I may be thousands of miles away, I do come to your arena to watch. It's virtually cheaper for me to come down to Phoenix on holidays and go to a NHL game than for me to travel 250 miles to Vancouver to watch the Canucks.
I am sorry I've upset so many. It was not my intention.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
As only 2 of us have posted the solution you seem to have gone off on I'll assume I'm one of those fly by night idiots. I have never posted or read the BOH so can't help you there. I support the Coyotes and hope they stay in the desert forever. I simply stated that there is only one way to shut up the media, support the team and stop fighting with landlord. It really is that simple. The media's job is to attract clients and sell advertising. Glendale and the Coyotes are an easy target. It will not stop until there is no story to tell. All negative publicity this summer is on Glendale, not Canadians. Until they pulled the latest stunt no one was even thinking about the Coyotes.

I don't think he meant you, and I think he meant fly by, not fly by night. As in fans of other teams with very little perspective or knowledge of the situation coming in and making uninformed overly simple posts like they're the genius that figured the situation out. They "fly by" from wherever they usually post.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think he meant you, and I think he meant fly by, not fly by night. As in fans of other teams with very little perspective or knowledge of the situation coming in and making uninformed overly simple posts like they're the genius that figured the situation out. They "fly by" from wherever they usually post.

Correct.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not moaning about the Coyotes. Couldn't care less if they stay or go. I was just agreeing with Jamieh (who is a Coyote fan), that the only way to stop the discussion is to change the team and the results on the ice. Easier said than done, but that's what happened in Nashville, and the chirping stopped.

I'm not sticking it to your team. I simply agreed with a Coyote fan about how to resolve the mess that has been ongoing for 6 years.
Not once have I ever said anything negative about the Coyote fans or anyone on this board. The fans you have are awesome. You deserve better. I know Phoenix has longterm fans. I remember watching the Phoenix Roadrunners in the WHL when they came to Vancouver before the NHL.
And while I may be thousands of miles away, I do come to your arena to watch. It's virtually cheaper for me to come down to Phoenix on holidays and go to a NHL game than for me to travel 250 miles to Vancouver to watch the Canucks.
I am sorry I've upset so many. It was not my intention.

I appreciate the second comment while wondering why the bolded and underlined portion of the first comment could not be considered provacative.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
You guys get too worked up over these people. Most of them have never even been to Arizona so all they know is what the angry Canadian media tells them. The way I see it is we live in one of the best areas in the world. That's why it's a melting pot and so many people will only show up to see a winner and you have to win consistently for a long time to build the fan base. With all the drama and losing along with the fact that we play the most non-offensive, boring style in the league where the coach prefers scrap heap vets, it's easy to see why the attendance is poor. Trying to get our northern friends to understand this is a waste of time. I hear all that ice and snow makes you grumpy so go easy on them.

I so want to say something about the 110+degree days...
:sarcasm: ;)

On to more germaine issues: has there been any word as to whether or not IA/CoG have actually started talking about a new deal?

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
I appreciate the second comment while wondering why the bolded and underlined portion of the first comment could not be considered provacative.
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that I don't want to see them go, (as some seem to think all Canadians do)but if they do, since I am not a Coyote fan, it wouldn't bother me anymore than if Pittsburgh or Edmonton moved. Or even Vancouver.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
No official word - just a rumor tweeted by Jude LeCava of Fox 10.

La Cava also said once that the Jamison deal was only 2 days away from closing, based on a rumor he heard. While, I'm sure he's a fine reporter in general, I don't really put any stock into anything he says about the Coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->