Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
^That's the first thing I thought, too. Yes, it's a crappy area *now*, but it does have a couple of things going for it - adjacent light rail stop, if they can bridge the gap to the Gateway area that would work as an entertainment district, ummm, can walk to airport?....really popular park 'n' swap? :) ...

out-of-staters can literally take a plane, the tram, and then the light rail.

And the best part is that it's only a mile to the Phoenix Ale Brewery

ironwood-logo-300x225.jpg

please support local businesses drink more Ironwood Imperial Porter

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
out-of-staters can literally take a plane, the tram, and then the light rail.

And the best part is that it's only a mile to the Phoenix Ale Brewery

ironwood-logo-300x225.jpg

please support local businesses drink more Ironwood Imperial Porter

Good! We can keep the Jets fans penned up.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I have a hard time wrapping my head around why they bent over for this deal unless it simply was to be able to move in two years. Why else give the city morons everything they wanted when their case was so weak? Hell, they probably wouldn't have had to cave for the lawyer fees alone.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't know if I buy that. Deal is still very short term and I don't think it helps you at all with FA. This season's FA crop is gone and they will be on a one year deal next off season so no help there either.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I don't know if I buy that. Deal is still very short term and I don't think it helps you at all with FA. This season's FA crop is gone and they will be on a one year deal next off season so no help there either.

He said multiple agents representing FA's told GMDM that their clients weren't interested due to the the instability. Boedker only did a 1 year deal because of it. I guess they went with the 2 year just to put an end to it and then get an a longer deal in place later. He said if it went to court it would be a long and drawn out affair that would do the franchise no good.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have a hard time wrapping my head around why they bent over for this deal unless it simply was to be able to move in two years. Why else give the city morons everything they wanted when their case was so weak? Hell, they probably wouldn't have had to cave for the lawyer fees alone.

Had they followed through and IceArizona won a potential $200 million suit, would COG even have the ability to pay? Or just declare municipal bankruptcy? Even in that scenario, IA's owings are likely near the back of the line.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
My theory is that Anthony just wants to keep them in Arizona long enough that 2 expansion teams happen, IceArizona collects the $30 million and then after that he sells it to the highest bidder. The other NHL teams and the league also would like the same thing so they can collect the $1 billion in expansion fees.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe their case wasn't weak.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Maybe their case wasn't weak.

More likely they just wanted this mess to get over as quick as possible and made concessions. It was already making an impact on the revenue stream, marketing, and obtaining additional venues. Especially the additional venues for future events.

Need an anchor tenant, lets screw with them!!!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

That's business. The Coyotes made a pragmatic decision. The uncertainty of not having a place to play with the season only 3 months away, the loss of sponsorships and STH made the decision to cave an easy one.

In 2 years the Coyotes are gone from Glendale. Hopefully they stay in the valley, but there is no way after this action by the COG that any owner would trust them enough to partner

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
My theory is that Anthony just wants to keep them in Arizona long enough that 2 expansion teams happen, IceArizona collects the $30 million and then after that he sells it to the highest bidder. The other NHL teams and the league also would like the same thing so they can collect the $1 billion in expansion fees.
I completely agree with the first part, 2 years allows them to see through Expansion process and potentially obtain $33M. That's serious $$$ for a cashed strapped team/ownership group.

The 2 years also llows for multiple options to be considered: Phoenix, Salt River, Sell, Sell/Relocate....creating some time of bidding activity would beneficial.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I don't know why anyone continues to believe the man.

Then the answer is?

It's clear that it was a total hit to the business. Between lawyer fees and the potential of years of uncertainty and litigation they caved. Better case yes but doubtful they would have gotten a substantial reward. More like "you win but the agreement stands" and it's 3 years later with millions lost.

Rip the bandaid off now and extend the time with short-term stability to really look at your options.

Didn't need IceAz to tell me their reasons, its clear.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I completely agree with the first part, 2 years allows them to see through Expansion process and potentially obtain $33M. That's serious $$$ for a cashed strapped team/ownership group.

The 2 years also llows for multiple options to be considered: Phoenix, Salt River, Sell, Sell/Relocate....creating some time of bidding activity would beneficial.

Exactly. I mean, it's going to take a while to get a new arena built if it happens, but if they do go in with the Suns, and COG doesn't want them anymore after 2 years, there is no reason they couldn't play at Talking Stick until a new arena is built. I like this move. It's basically find an option here in the valley, or move somewhere else.

Hell, if this new deal works out better for the COG and the Coyotes, maybe they will extend it?

I like this from the COG perspective because it's $6.5 million a year instead of $15 million. Weren't they getting back $8 million or so from the coyotes? They are already out on top at this point no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad