Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think the Coyotes are finished with Glendale, after this 2 years is up. Even if Glendale gives them a respectable deal, what incentive do the Coyotes have to continue doing business with them? What if a new, new council comes in, and tries to renege on that deal?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I think the Coyotes are finished with Glendale, after this 2 years is up. Even if Glendale gives them a respectable deal, what incentive do the Coyotes have to continue doing business with them? What if a new, new council comes in, and tries to renege on that deal?

I'm not so sure. If the COG gives them another deal like this, if the Coyotes are better off with this deal than the previous, why not? I would like to believe that LeBlanc and co. want to keep the team here in the desert. Their play could very well be stay in Glendale until they can get something(if they can) with Phoenix.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

This. The Bidwills and Glendale were made for each other. Happily feuding into the future. I wonder if GR would like a GRA just south of Ahwatukee.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Agreed with the caveat that a city Council that's less bat**** crazy could change their mind.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
More likely they just wanted this mess to get over as quick as possible and made concessions. It was already making an impact on the revenue stream, marketing, and obtaining additional venues. Especially the additional venues for future events.

Need an anchor tenant, lets screw with them!!!

Yeah, you could be right. Anytime you are involved in a lawsuit, even though your case is strong, you just never know.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'm not so sure. If the COG gives them another deal like this, if the Coyotes are better off with this deal than the previous, why not? I would like to believe that LeBlanc and co. want to keep the team here in the desert. Their play could very well be stay in Glendale until they can get something(if they can) with Phoenix.

It's certainly possible that LeBlanc wants to keep the franchise in the Valley, but why would the team want to have another agreement with Glendale? What's to prevent a new, potentially even more hostile council from attempting to void yet another lease agreement due to a small technicality?

The Coyotes need to do business on their next lease with a real city (and city council), instead of a bunch of hicks led by used-trailer salesman, in a nowhere suburb town, out in the boonies.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
It's certainly possible that LeBlanc wants to keep the franchise in the Valley, but why would the team want to have another agreement with Glendale? What's to prevent a new, potentially even more hostile council from attempting to void yet another lease agreement due to a small technicality?

The Coyotes need to do business on their next lease with a real city (and city council), instead of a bunch of hicks led by used-trailer salesman, in a nowhere suburb town, out in the boonies.
I wish you'd tell us how you really feel. Your milquetoasting of your feelings is discerning...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

I don't. The incentive is / was to the tune of two years @ 15M

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Speaking purely as one who doesn't really understand the legal or financial implications of the new agreement, but who nonetheless Reckons Something, I also read it as a kind of divorce settlement. It seems like there is a certain amount of acrimony on both sides, and a lack of trust, and a mutual hope that the other party will spontaneously combust. I understand that everyone involved will ultimately do What's Best for Business, to borrow a phrase, but it just feels like they're saying, **** you, you have X amount of time to figure out what to do next, smell ya later.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

They'll only be better off if....

1) IA can get more non-hockey dates booked.
2) Get the on ice product up to a level where they can sell out more than just the Chicago, Detroit and Boston games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

2) Get the on ice product up to a level where they can sell out more than just the Chicago, Detroit and Boston games.

It will all come down the the teams on ice product. If they win the fans will be there. If the fans are there, the merchandise sales go up, the concessions sales goes up. Everything snow balls.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

Agreed. I see this as a two year stop gap, with IA secretly looking for a new landing spot outside of the Valley. They simply cannot stay in Glendale long-term under this agreement, unless they start making some serious money at GRA, and I believe that location of that arena seriously impacts its ability to attract concerts, etc. I don't think the primary obstacle has ever been arena management.

Downtown Phoenix/Scottsdale is nice to talk about, but while I think the Suns will get their arena, the Coyotes will not benefit from being a co-tenant.

Frankly, notwithstanding what LeBlanc says, I have to believe IA is already exploring potential relocation sites, and I do not believe payment of a relocation fee will be a problem if QC and Las Vegas truly do pay in the range of $500M for expansion.

I've been a STH since the Coyotes arrived in the Valley. I see this last move as really the Coyotes putting up the white flag at this point. Sometimes karma just catches up with you....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It will all come down the the teams on ice product. If they win the fans will be there. If the fans are there, the merchandise sales go up, the concessions sales goes up. Everything snow balls.

No.... that's only half of the solution.

They absolutely need the non-hockey revenue. And the Coyotes are not the only franchise that need that. Even the Jets need it.... the Senators need it..... etc. That's why a shared situation with the Suns is not the ideal arrangement.

The NHL has been moving away from being a strictly gate-driven league. They have to.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah, you could be right. Anytime you are involved in a lawsuit, even though your case is strong, you just never know.
From the police on up to the judges, it's always best to avoid the legal system if at all possible. You're rightness or wrongness be damned.

Personally I think the Coyotes will take the 2 years to aggressively explore any and all plan B options with full intent to choose one of them.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

They absolutely need the non-hockey revenue. And the Coyotes are not the only franchise that need that. Even the Jets need it.... the Senators need it..... etc. That's why a shared situation with the Suns is not the ideal arrangement.

The NHL has been moving away from being a strictly gate-driven league. They have to.

This is where the COG shined in this agreement. They found a way to pressure IA into performance in non-hockey revenue. The agreement also gives IA some wiggle room (to be more competitive) with smaller, or no ticket surcharges.

Perhaps the figures to date have been askew as well.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is where the COG shined in this agreement. They found a way to pressure IA into performance in non-hockey revenue. The agreement also gives IA some wiggle room (to be more competitive) with smaller, or no ticket surcharges.

Perhaps the figures to date have been askew as well.

Well at the same time they gave IA some flexibility in getting more events booked to the arena. Global had been asking IA to have a lower surcharge available for some events.

What many people may not understand is IA and Glendale had been discussing amending the lease for several months. You had bits and pieces of it leak out in the news, but nobody put it much together until word that Glendale was moving to cancel the lease came up.

My best guess is they had hit an impasse and Glendale decided lobbing a grenade into it would get it moving again.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Well at the same time they gave IA some flexibility in getting more events booked to the arena. Global had been asking IA to have a lower surcharge available for some events.

What many people may not understand is IA and Glendale had been discussing amending the lease for several months. You had bits and pieces of it leak out in the news, but nobody put it much together until word that Glendale was moving to cancel the lease came up.

My best guess is they had hit an impasse and Glendale decided lobbing a grenade into it would get it moving again.

viewFile.html

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The non hockey revenue is gravy. They have to be successful with hockey revenue first and foremost.

With the cost of new arena's in today's world, I see no reason why a dual facility would not work. It would be a different story if WSA was sold out every night, but it's not.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's interesting. If this is true, I would expect a long term deal in the coming months, but the COG went about it the wrong way.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The non hockey revenue is gravy. They have to be successful with hockey revenue first and foremost.

With the cost of new arena's in today's world, I see no reason why a dual facility would not work. It would be a different story if WSA was sold out every night, but it's not.

Don't underestimate the gravy in this dry heat!

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That's interesting. If this is true, I would expect a long term deal in the coming months, but the COG went about it the wrong way.

I believe this was in the works all along, but can only imagine that all the grandstanding will be fodder for why the team stinks it up for yet another season. :dunno:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Nordiques won the cup, as the Avalanche in the first season of relocation. Pray that this does not happen with our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->