Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed. I see this as a two year stop gap, with IA secretly looking for a new landing spot outside of the Valley. They simply cannot stay in Glendale long-term under this agreement, unless they start making some serious money at GRA, and I believe that location of that arena seriously impacts its ability to attract concerts, etc. I don't think the primary obstacle has ever been arena management.

Downtown Phoenix/Scottsdale is nice to talk about, but while I think the Suns will get their arena, the Coyotes will not benefit from being a co-tenant.

Frankly, notwithstanding what LeBlanc says, I have to believe IA is already exploring potential relocation sites, and I do not believe payment of a relocation fee will be a problem if QC and Las Vegas truly do pay in the range of $500M for expansion.

I've been a STH since the Coyotes arrived in the Valley. I see this last move as really the Coyotes putting up the white flag at this point. Sometimes karma just catches up with you....

They have to explore all options now with only a 2 year lease. I totally disagree with LeBlanc as to this new deal giving the franchise stability. The new agreement might have helped them with short term ticket sales this year and maybe short term advertising.

It seems like IA made a bad short term deal. I can only think that either the short term is so important to them and they are really strapped for cash or their was way more to the COG case then we were lead to believe. Maybe they were planning on leaving in 2 years anyway, so what is the difference then. IA settles, takes short term advertising and a few more ticket sales versus the money they would spend on a court case and a drawn out battle.

LeBlanc telling us how it effected DM and negotiations with Bods and other UFA's, I don't really buy it. Bods has been tough to negotiate with and I think he wants to be a UFA and get paid. The COG issue is a nice excuse for both sides. Now that the new lease is in place, how many new UFA's has DM signed? Zero, not that I think he should sign anyone anyway. How about Bods/extension? Now it is worse because players don't know where the franchise will be in 2 years. Who would sign a 5 year deal and then wind up living in QC/KC? Remember, to sign here you would have to take less then top dollar, since we have limited resources, and you would do that to live in Phoenix, not QC/KC, etc..

LeBlanc saying we attendance is crappy because the product was crappy last year was the problem. He says we are fixing that. Well, he is the only one in the hockey world that thinks so. We are the overwhelming consensus to be last place in the west.

The other deal that makes me wonder is Barroway becoming a majority owner and now he is not any more. It looks like he did it to get the new finance line for the club and then had a deal to take less ownership.

The obvious best solution is a down town arena with the Suns/Coyotes as the anchor tenants. That is a very long shot for that to happen.

Last edited:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
ASU to play at GRA for two years, starting in 2015-2016. Good development for college hockey, Glendale and the Coyotes. Means probably another 50,000 - 80,000 guests at Westgate next year, and over 100,000 in 2016-2017.

I don't think it has much impact on the Coyotes' situation long-term, but it is welcomed news. I suspect that ASU will get a new facility for basketball and hockey on campus within the next three years. Too bad the Coyotes could play there....

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
ASU to play at GRA for two years, starting in 2015-2016. Good development for college hockey, Glendale and the Coyotes. Means probably another 50,000 - 80,000 guests at Westgate next year, and over 100,000 in 2016-2017.

I don't think it has much impact on the Coyotes' situation long-term, but it is welcomed news. I suspect that ASU will get a new facility for basketball and hockey on campus within the next three years. Too bad the Coyotes could play there....

I don't know how the university and the Coyotes would be able to bridge the public/private divide in building and owning a joint use arena. However, two hockey teams and a basketball team would certainly fill a lot of dates up and dilute the costs.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I don't know how the university and the Coyotes would be able to bridge the public/private divide in building and owning a joint use arena. However, two hockey teams and a basketball team would certainly fill a lot of dates up and dilute the costs.

True...but never gonna happen. Even if the Coyotes contributed to construction (not suggesting they have the money to contribute). A college arena is already a political hot potato and adding the Coyotes to the mix would probably hurt ASU's chances.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
True...but never gonna happen. Even if the Coyotes contributed to construction (not suggesting they have the money to contribute). A college arena is already a political hot potato and adding the Coyotes to the mix would probably hurt ASU's chances.

Yet a dual use arena for the Coyotes and Suns, which invited ASU's teams to fill in the open dates would make equal sense for all.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A college arena is already a political hot potato

ASU will finance any new hockey facility or joint facility on their own. It's not a hot potato at all. The athletic district gives them money to spend.

ASU downtown makes a lot of sense but they'd be charged rent and lose money, unless ASU helped finance the arena in exchange for rent free play. Downtown campus + lightrail = legit D1 program fast.

Suns, Coyotes, Mercury, Rattlers, ASU in the same building would be absolutely crazy.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This post isn't intended to be political, but figured it was worth mentioning:

The early numbers for today's City of Phoenix election show that Mayor Greg Stanton is on pace to be re-elected. Councilmember Michael Nowakowski, running unopposed, will also be re-elected. Both are pro-Coyotes.

On a somewhat related note, I also thought it was interesting that the Coyotes have partnered with the City of Phoenix to create/sponsor a ball hockey league. I know there have been outreach efforts in the past to grow hockey in the Valley and to get more eyeballs on the Coyotes, but I don't recall these efforts ever being in an official capacity, certainly not at a governmental level that does not involve Glendale.

Some food for thought and possibly some early indications on a future relocation to the East Valley.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This post isn't intended to be political, but figured it was worth mentioning:

The early numbers for today's City of Phoenix election show that Mayor Greg Stanton is on pace to be re-elected. Councilmember Michael Nowakowski, running unopposed, will also be re-elected. Both are pro-Coyotes.

On a somewhat related note, I also thought it was interesting that the Coyotes have partnered with the City of Phoenix to create/sponsor a ball hockey league. I know there have been outreach efforts in the past to grow hockey in the Valley and to get more eyeballs on the Coyotes, but I don't recall these efforts ever being in an official capacity, certainly not at a governmental level that does not involve Glendale.

Some food for thought and possibly some early indications on a future relocation to the East Valley.

The Coyotes already worked with Desert Hockey Development in hosting the first summer ball hockey league at GRA and, previously, free clinics at Bonsall Park in Glendale. So I would just view this is as an extension of the program further into the Phoenix Metro area.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's a shame, that's literally walking distance from my apartment. I would live here until I die(or move to a house close by) if that's where the arena was.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'm worried what happens in 2 years (Summer 2017) when Glendale signs a deal with a new arena manager and the Coyotes will be asked to pay rent.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Nope. If I'm not mistaken, the Northeast corner is Indian Reservation and the Southwest corner is an enormous hole in the ground (quarry).

(Northeast corner is the quarry, I think, but...)

Yes! Yes! Northwest corner *is* Indian Reservation, and that's my fantasy location, along Hayden/McClintock on the far side of the river from Tempe Marketplace, down the road from Oceanside.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm worried what happens in 2 years (Summer 2017) when Glendale signs a deal with a new arena manager and the Coyotes will be asked to pay rent.

They can sign a deal with a new manager as soon as next summer.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
(Northeast corner is the quarry, I think, but...)

Yes! Yes! Northwest corner *is* Indian Reservation, and that's my fantasy location, along Hayden/McClintock on the far side of the river from Tempe Marketplace, down the road from Oceanside.

You mean IA's money pitt...... sorry I just could not resist.

I have nothing against the NHL in Arizona.... I think that NHL in Arizona can work... but unfortunately I think the coyotes are done. I would love to see more done to grow hockey in AZ, but I think they need good owners... who actually have money.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
drive-thruParking.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You mean IA's money pitt...... sorry I just could not resist.

I have nothing against the NHL in Arizona.... I think that NHL in Arizona can work... but unfortunately I think the coyotes are done. I would love to see more done to grow hockey in AZ, but I think they need good owners... who actually have money.

Do you have any idea how hockey has grown in Arizona? Didn't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad