Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Other then a Jude tweet, really haven't heard why the depositions have been cancelled. Jude hasn't struck me as someone in the know with all things Glendale. If Craig said it, I think it would have more steam. Personally, Glendale hurt the bid for the Juniors, hurt free agency, hurt ticket sales, and damaged the chance of getting more sponsorships. What could they possibly offer Ice Az to offset the those problems?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Guys the fly-by's are not idiots, they have an intuitive understanding of these issues and are able to offer unique insight...

2adf3d18200514071839e3bee0f1d6d1.jpg

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Guys the fly-by's are not idiots, they have an intuitive understanding of these issues and are able to offer unique insight...

2adf3d18200514071839e3bee0f1d6d1.jpg

Better Off Dead. Saw that movie in the theater. Awesome.

"I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Last edited:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
azcentral.com has been all over this story until this. Maybe they are on summer vacation.

Or maybe they are just smart enough to know what the Star reporter may not; that sources who leak information without wanting to go on the record may just be playing you.

Both sides not going public tells me they are still talking and don't want to put their respective foot in their mouth. Entire story makes no sense. Even most sane posters over at the BOH board aren't putting much stock in it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
“I just don’t think the arena management should be with the hockey owners,†said three members of the city administrative staff that asked not to be identified because they are close to the negotiations.

I get the feeling Glendale doesn't understand what they signed up for when they built the arena. Your major tenant almost always controls the arena itself. That's the standard.

I swear they want one of the twobit local companies that bid last time around to run the events. That's what this feels like.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
azcentral.com has been all over this story until this. Maybe they are on summer vacation.

Or maybe they are just smart enough to know what the Star reporter may not; that sources who leak information without wanting to go on the record may just be playing you.

Both sides not going public tells me they are still talking and don't want to put their respective foot in their mouth. Entire story makes no sense. Even most sane posters over at the BOH board aren't putting much stock in it.

You're comparing a major media market daily publication (owned by a national news corporation) versus what amounts to a local weekly rag sheet.

I would say the Republic carries a higher standard in reporting. And Peter Corbett's been the best reporter at AZR in covering Glendale since Lisa Halverstadt.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get the feeling Glendale doesn't understand what they signed up for when they built the arena. Your major tenant almost always controls the arena itself. That's the standard.

I swear they want one of the twobit local companies that bid last time around to run the events. That's what this feels like.

That's what it feels like to me also. But who knows with these bunch of two faced politicians. Only in Arizona.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I sense great weariness. I know the feeling.

Yeah this never ending saga of ******** really gets old. That's why I want the team to end up in Phoenix or out of state, I think as long as they're in Glendale crap like this will keep happening.

Are we sure the monster isn't built on the site of some atrocity? Sure seems cursed.

It's nice to see Nashville and some of the other non traditional teams do well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah this never ending saga of ******** really gets old. That's why I want the team to end up in Phoenix or out of state, I think as long as they're in Glendale crap like this will keep happening.

Are we sure the monster isn't built on the site of some atrocity? Sure seems cursed.

I would never want the team to be out of state. :shakehead even with this BS.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
The fact that IA didn't respond to the Star article leads me to believe they are not going to get distracted by what was reported, and they are working towards some resolution.

IF IA made the offer reported, and the City rejected the offer (neither of which I believe to be true), then there is nothing left to do but lawyer up, conduct discovery, and make your arguments to the court.

What is interesting is that the City moved to dismiss saying IA didn't engage in ADR. IF the City's position really is that they want IA out as arena manager, taking that position with the court, while not sanctionable, is really a very unwise thing to do and then reveal that your true agenda has never been to resolve anything.

Too many things just don't add up. If IA and the City were not negotiating, IA would have had a response to the Star's allegations, or would have leaked something about how the city is unwilling to negotiate in good faith, blah blah blah.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
You're comparing a major media market daily publication (owned by a national news corporation) versus what amounts to a local weekly rag sheet.

I would say the Republic carries a higher standard in reporting. And Peter Corbett's been the best reporter at AZR in covering Glendale since Lisa Halverstadt.

I know a few folks in Glendale that prefer the Star to The Republic. I am not too shocked since Gannet papers are always suffering from lack of quality journalism.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know a few folks in Glendale that prefer the Star to The Republic. I am not too shocked since Gannet papers are always suffering from lack of quality journalism.

I'm 100% the opposite. I'm not saying the Republic is all that wonderful (it never was, IMO, and today's version is so diluted and watered-down that it's barely a shadow of itself) but by comparison to the Star it's the New York Times.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The fact that IA didn't respond to the Star article leads me to believe they are not going to get distracted by what was reported, and they are working towards some resolution.

IF IA made the offer reported, and the City rejected the offer (neither of which I believe to be true), then there is nothing left to do but lawyer up, conduct discovery, and make your arguments to the court.

What is interesting is that the City moved to dismiss saying IA didn't engage in ADR. IF the City's position really is that they want IA out as arena manager, taking that position with the court, while not sanctionable, is really a very unwise thing to do and then reveal that your true agenda has never been to resolve anything.

Too many things just don't add up. If IA and the City were not negotiating, IA would have had a response to the Star's allegations, or would have leaked something about how the city is unwilling to negotiate in good faith, blah blah blah.

Agreed. The COG just lost a major arbitration and the dispute with the tribe. They are 0-2 and could go 0-3 in major disputes if they litigate with IA in court. I am pretty sure the COG angle has always been politically motivated. They (new COG members), want to show the voters that they have attempted to make a change in what they view as a bad deal. IA likely makes some short term concessions, minor ones, in a trade for some longer term benefits. It will mostly be a swap and window dressing. That way, the COG can tell their voters about the "better deal" they have negotiated and IA can secure more advertisers, and more ticket sales without the continued bad press/uncertainty.

If IA gives up 8 mill a year as a concession with no other benefits coming their way, I will be stunned!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I would never want the team to be out of state. :shakehead even with this BS.

If my choice is to follow the team from afar, or go through the uncertainty of them being here, and seeing it hurt the team every damn season, I'd prefer to follow them from afar. Obviously the team having stability and staying is the best option, but this seriously needs to be over one way or the other.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Agreed. The COG just lost a major arbitration and the dispute with the tribe. They are 0-2 and could go 0-3 in major disputes if they litigate with IA in court. I am pretty sure the COG angle has always been politically motivated. They (new COG members), want to show the voters that they have attempted to make a change in what they view as a bad deal. IA likely makes some short term concessions, minor ones, in a trade for some longer term benefits. It will mostly be a swap and window dressing. That way, the COG can tell their voters about the "better deal" they have negotiated and IA can secure more advertisers, and more ticket sales without the continued bad press/uncertainty.

If IA gives up 8 mill a year as a concession with no other benefits coming their way, I will be stunned!

Considering the damage COG already caused by this I'll be shocked if IA gives more than they get.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
There is truth to CoG and IA talking. Possible meeting tomorrow (no details as of yet)

Don't ask me about this, I just asked a reputable source and that is what I was told.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, this is largely due to shinanigans played by a bunch of corrupt politicians, has little to do with how well AZ would support hockey. And probably some Godlwater as well.

Agreed, I'm not saying hockey can't work here. I'm saying if they stay in Gongdale this garbage is going to keep popping up every other year until they move anyway and that to me is absolutely unbearable. So I want the yotes either in Phoenix, or gone, because if they go back this crap will keep happening and we'll lose them anyway. If they have to go make it like ripping off a bandaid.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They've had relatively stable ownership with a stable arena situation. If the Coyotes can't have that, move them now, because it's an inevitable. I'd probably like the team a lot more as a cap team in a hockey crazed market anyways. Vegas would be pretty insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad