Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No, Not a leader. Matthews is not a leader.
Choose Reilly, JT, Naz , Hyman before Matthews.
This is not a popularity contest to sell the franchise. I hate that face of the franchise crap.
At this time, Matthews is not a leader. He may turn into a very good leader in the future.

Right now there are too many Leafs ahead of him on the leadership list, with Tavares being at the top.

JMHO.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Cap hit
Term
Consistency

If in the playoffs Matthews goes beast mode then he will be part of the discussion until then he isn’t

Lol, OK. Guaranteed Captain by the start of next season.

If you think his salary has anything to do with his candidacy, you are lost.

If you think his term -which was team desired- has anything to do with his candidacy, you are even more lost.

Here's a smattering of other players named Captain on five year deals: Toews, Jonathan; Crosby, Sidney; Stamkos, Steven.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
"For aesthetic marketing purposes they'll make it Matthews"

What?

Matty won;t have a hair on his head by the time he's 22. He's from Zona. He often seems to be torturted in media scrums and looks like he's having a root canal. He doesn't come out and face the media after tough losses. He often says things that don't seem to be in full lockstep with what the coaches are saying.

If it;' about "aesthetic marketing purposes" we should make it Marner.

Thankfully, it won't be about "aesthetic marketing purposes" and it'll surely be Tavares or Reilly.

You're right, I forgot all about Mats Sundin's luscious blonde locks. Shame on me.

I love how the majority of Leaf fans will forever devalue any non-Canadian. It's the most remarkable stigma on earth.

You cant walk five feet in a crowd of Leaf fans without bumping into a dozen people who will tell you that Sundin was no Clark. It's beyond comprehension.

Also, I love Marner, don't get me wrong, he's a terrific player, but what of his string-bean pipsqueak 12 year old look is marketable? Thanks.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If you've never been in a fight in your career, I wouldn't make you captain. Just a personal preference of mine. Call it cro-magnon or whatever else you feel like.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a fist fight, I would probably count what Matthews did to Weber as a fight, but it can't be stick work. Stick work is for sissies.

Reactions: Zebra

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You're right, I forgot all about Mats Sundin's luscious blonde locks. Shame on me.

I love how the majority of Leaf fans will forever devalue any non-Canadian. It's the most remarkable stigma on earth.

You cant walk five feet in a crowd of Leaf fans without bumping into a dozen people who will tell you that Sundin was no Clark. It's beyond comprehension.

Also, I love Marner, don't get me wrong, he's a terrific player, but what of his string-bean pipsqueak 12 year old look is marketable? Thanks.

Not really. I doubt you will find most of them are talking about who the better player is. Like it or lump it, there are certain traits people will follow into war. That doesn't mean Mats didn't have great traits. In terms of in front of the media or dealing with refs, he's great. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to find the foot soldiers being more inclined to follow or be motivated by Clark's lead. It's kind of like a good sergeant in the military. People may have mad respect for their captain but equally be more ready to follow their sergeant into battle. In many ways it depends what you are looking for in your captain.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I think he should be. His work ethic is very strong and a model for younger Leafs. He has experience as a captain. He is great with the media. He produces a PPG. Babcock and the players respect him. He has my vote. Make him Captain before the playoffs. Btw Matthews time will come.

1. Matthews
2. Morgan Reilly

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lol, OK. Guaranteed Captain by the start of next season.

If you think his salary has anything to do with his candidacy, you are lost.

If you think his term -which was team desired- has anything to do with his candidacy, you are even more lost.

Here's a smattering of other players named Captain on five year deals: Toews, Jonathan; Crosby, Sidney; Stamkos, Steven.

now do yourself a favaour and then look at their accomplishments in the league by the time they were RFAs, RFA contract and when names captain

then give your head a shake and see how pathetic your post was

Reactions: dsred

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
now do yourself a favaour and then look at their accomplishments in the league by the time they were RFAs, RFA contract and when names captain

then give your head a shake and see how pathetic your post was

Well, for starters, you did not use "accomplishments" as a basis, but since you're adding it now. Here goes:

Toews was named captain after a rookie season in which he averaged .84 points per game and .38 goals per game and won the calder.

Matthews' also averaged .84 points per game, .49 goals per game, won the calder, and led his team to the playoffs.

Stamkos was named Captain after having played 325 regular season games averaging 1.01 points per game and having made just one trip to the playoffs in four seasons.

Should Matthews play the remaining 17 games of the season at his current 1.18 p/pg clip he will have 212 career GP and 212 points following this season (do you need me to do the p/pg math here or are you good?) and will have lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons.

For obvious reasons I'll leave Crosby's accomplishments out of the comparison chart here, but, for what it's worth, he was named captain before he turned 20 and after having made the playoffs in only one of his first two seasons.

I'll leave the head shaking for the guy who thinks contract salary and term should be a deciding factor in captaincy. Glad I could settle your consistency problem, though. Nothing like a guy who averages a point per game after three seasons before his 22nd birthday.

Thanks!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I see no reason to make a captain until one emerges in playoffs.

If Matty takes over team and gets us past Bruins then he will have earned it.

Same could be said for Tavares.

Nothing should get done until it is earned.

To me Freddy is our MVP this season. But tough to make a goalie captain. That said if he gets us past Bruins and leads the charge I would consider it.

Reactions: dsred

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'll give you one great reason, Toronto Maple Leaf media/fans eat our captain alive. Every problem will fall on his shoulders and I;d rather him scoring 40 every year, than having the media questions and inevitable distraction of answering why our team doesn't do "X" better...

Reactions: AllHeartNoSkill

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
A lot of people are automatically giving this one to Matthews for some reason. Let's see how he and the team does this playoffs. If we play Boston and are up against it like everyone expects, either Tavares or Matthews is going to have to drag this team to victory and at that point we can anoint our leadership.

This is one of the worst sports markets in the world to play for even when things are going well. So throwing a 21 year old Matthews at the front of this organization when up to this point he has done basically nothing to earn that spot. In fact, I am having a hard time remembering when Matthews has taken this team on his back and carried it forward in the face of frustrating odds. He has mostly been a passenger on this team even when he has been getting some points and quite frankly its getting on my nerves.

But lets see what happens a couple months from now. It seems that all the stars are aligning for this Leaf team for their absolute ultimate test on how it proceeds in the coming years. Most likely a non-home advantage playoff series against what is not my most hated Leaf enemy. A team that has embarrassed us, humiliated us, laughed at us, run us over, pushed us around and completely shut Matthews down last year. This year it may very well become the Tavares show.

Reactions: dsred and Bronxxx

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm fine with Tavares, Matthews or Rielly. Even Marner. This isn't like the rush job to anoint Dion. We have a strong core of young players who are growing into leadership roles.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Never mind who, but the the better question is what is taking so long?

What is expected to change from now the time they name one?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Matthews or he walks in five years. he wanted to be the highest paid leaf and got it.
he wants the captaincy and if leafs want him to stay they have to give it to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad