Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Agree with this although I would include Tavares in the group of potentials. Overall, I think Rielly is the right choice however.

The caption of a team does not need to be it's best player. He/she certainly can't be just some plug but this notion that just because a player is not the best on the team shouldn't exclude them from being the team's captain.

If Matthews were to assert himself more on and off the ice and be a little more consistent with his play, then I'd say he should be in the conversation.

Having said all that, I still think Matthews gets it anyway for aesthetic marketing purposes.

When did Willy become a she?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ahem...having been a captain for a number of teams, highlighted by being given the C on my peewee championship team in house league all those many years ago, I feel uniquely qualified to offer the correct opinion as to who should wear the C on our beloved Leafs :DD Me!

As the above shows, I have no idea what the qualities for being given the C are in the NHL. I would suspect it's the player who has the greatest amount of respect from his teammates, for a number of reasons, while being comfortable handling the responsibilities that go with the position. We interpret from the outside and while I might guess Morgan fits the bill, I'll let the process unfold behind closed doors and accept the decision.

Reactions: nsleaf

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
We have so many great candidates for captain, Tavares among them for his veteran experience, accomplishments and composure, but I think with how things are trending, Matthews is primed to become captain. He’s seen and portrayed as the face of this franchise.
No, Not a leader. Matthews is not a leader.
Choose Reilly, JT, Naz , Hyman before Matthews.
This is not a popularity contest to sell the franchise. I hate that face of the franchise crap.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
On a team where they've gone to great lengths to create a culture of You get what you earn. Nothing is handed to you, the captaincy will not be tied to a contract.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He could have got the same or even more from a couple of teams but he chose us. He's signed for 7 years and is a top 10 center. Rielly is close and I wouldn't be pissed he got the C but I prefer JT. Mathews has fallen off, still a great player and more than happy he is ours. Marner may get the C after JT.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The best player on the team is not necessarily the best captain. Example, Stamkos, Wheeler, Justin Williams, Toews, Landeskog, Foligno, Benn, Lee and Greene.

Reactions: Buds17

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Here's a run down of the arguments against Tavares so far:

> He's not the best player on the team (Not a prerequisite)
> He wasn't drafted by Toronto (Not a prerequisite)
> He's not a leader (NY gave him the C as a gag or something)
> NY never won anything when he was captain (He was supposed to carry them like it's basketball)
> He's riding Marner's coat-tails (Marner gets nothing from Tavares, his assists fall from the clouds)
> He's not Matthews, who deserves it for being Matthews
> 20 guys didn't show up in Nassau so Tavares is mentally weak
> He hasn't "lived up to expectations" (whose?)

Last edited:

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Matthews might become better, but JT has all the intangibles!!!
And JT is a home boy - homegrown. Sleeping in his Leafs pyjama every single day!!!
In what pyjama did Matthews sleep???

Reactions: Al14

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
"For aesthetic marketing purposes they'll make it Matthews"

What?

Matty won;t have a hair on his head by the time he's 22. He's from Zona. He often seems to be torturted in media scrums and looks like he's having a root canal. He doesn't come out and face the media after tough losses. He often says things that don't seem to be in full lockstep with what the coaches are saying.

If it;' about "aesthetic marketing purposes" we should make it Marner.

Thankfully, it won't be about "aesthetic marketing purposes" and it'll surely be Tavares or Reilly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Here's a run down of the arguments against Tavares so far:

> He's not the best player on the team (Not a prerequisite)
> He wasn't drafted by Toronto (Not a prerequisite)
> He's not a leader (NY gave him the C as a gag or something)
> NY never won anything when he was captain (He was supposed to carry them like it's basketball)
> He's riding Marner's coat-tails (Marner gets nothing from Tavares, his assists fall from the clouds)
> He's not Matthews, who deserves it for being Matthews
> 20 guys didn't show up in Nassau so Tavares is mentally weak
> He hasn't "lived up to expectations" (whose?)

Now run down the list of reasons FOR Tavares.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Now run down the list of reasons FOR Tavares.

- Of the core, he's signed to the longest contract
- He's our #1 center, taking the toughest match up night after night
- He's the best media spokesperson in the dressing room
- He has captain experience
- He's won multiple championships with Team Canada
- He's a mature 29 year old guy
- He's a 2 time former Hart trophy finalist
- He's been to the second round of the playoffs scoring his teams winning goal in OT to get there
- He could have played anywhere for more money and CHOSE to play here for less.
- He and his family are Toronto royalty

I think you have embarrassed yourself enough on the Tavares topic. Just stop it already. We don't need more topics locked up.

Reactions: Al14 and dsred

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
- Of the core, he's signed to the longest contract

this is a real reason?

- He's our #1 center, taking the toughest match up night after night

Which Matthews had done the previous 2yrs.

- He's the best media spokesperson in the dressing room

seems a bit sombre to be me, tbh.

- He has captain experience

his experience as captain wasn't exactly good.

- He's one multiple championships with Team Canada

come on now.

- He's a mature 29 year old guy
- He's a 2 time former Hart trophy finalist

fair reasons!

- He's been to the second round of the playoffs scoring his teams winning goal in OT to get there

4 playoff rounds in 9 years. 1 playoff series win in 9 years.

this is not a good thing.

- He could have played anywhere for more money and CHOSE to play here for less.

He signed the biggest contract in free agent history,with the 2nd highest caphit in the league.

- He and his family are Toronto royalty

don't know what that means.

I think you have embarrassed yourself enough on the Tavares topic. Just stop it already.

It's amazing how angry people get just because someone dares to say Tavares isn't a good choice for captain.

We don't need more topics locked up.

you support that topic being locked up?

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
It's amazing how angry people get just because someone dares to say Tavares isn't a good choice for captain.

It's probably more that you're using the talking points expected out of scorned Islanders fans in bad faith because you think your opinion that it should be Matthews is a certifiable fact.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's probably more that you're using the talking points expected out of scorned Islanders fans in bad faith because you think your opinion that it should be Matthews is a certifiable fact.

plenty of people have attacked Matthews' character in this thread.

do you see me getting mad and attacking them for it?

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Morgan Rielly and John Tavares are the leaders of this team, on and off the ice. To put one ahead of the other is not fair to the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad