Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
We have so many great candidates for captain, Tavares among them for his veteran experience, accomplishments and composure, but I think with how things are trending, Matthews is primed to become captain. He’s seen and portrayed as the face of this franchise.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I was hoping they would use the C as a bargaining chip to get Matthews on a cheaper deal. Now I’m hoping they do it with Marner and if not then give it to Rielly.

I don’t think it matters much who wears the C, but if it could help our cap that would make it much more important.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
As an Isles fan I would be very curious to see how he would do. I always felt Tavares is better when he is able to just focus on playing the game. I would leave him in his current position where he can just put up 40 goals per season with you guys. Let Matthews or a different leader be the captain.

Let JT focus on being JT. Just my opinion though.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I don’t have any. There are 4 guys who you can pick and you literally can’t go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: zaqq

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I think Morgans the captain. He's just a complete boss and always shows up.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree. Not sure how they dont. Tavares is almost 30. Matthews is 21. Rielly is in between. It would be irresponsible to give it to matthews over tavares. I see the rielly love but i think tavares is still the best and most logical choice.

Reactions: Confucius

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Morgan isn’t in the same class as far as leadership. JT shows up every night and has done it throughout his career!

Huh? JTs been carried by Marner alot of the year. If anything Morgan shoes up every night and has more impact on the game. Could also win the Norris.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
1) Morgan
2) Rielly

I agree it should be Morgan. He has always been Mature, great with Media, good with the community. Very likeable and a great player.

Matthews doesn't always show up. I don't know what it is but I get a different vibe from him. Seems cocky.

Marner would be good candidate too. Always brings it.

I think either JT or Morgan should be Captain.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I agree. Not sure how they dont. Tavares is almost 30. Matthews is 21. Rielly is in between. It would be irresponsible to give it to matthews over tavares. I see the rielly love but i think tavares is still the best and most logical choice.

Unless Mathews has it in his head he should be the captain. You don't offend the Future of the team and guy who has ten years of prime hockey left.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1)
2)

I think Matthews is supposed to get it.
I'm waiting to see if Matthews shows up in the playoffs.

I've asked many times and I never receive a response.

How will the captain of the Leafs be chosen ?
Players only decide ?

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I agree that it's going to be Matthews, and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

I think it'd be a benefit for Matthews to feel like he has something to prove.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Morgan isn’t in the same class as far as leadership. JT shows up every night and has done it throughout his career!

Many Isles fans always liked this thought process of having the silent captain who shows how hard you need to work to become a star.

I'm curious what fans would think of a captain though who isn't the most vocal during rough patches for the team? I see Reilly being thrown out a lot here, how vocal is he known to be?

When Tavares was captain on Long Island there were various people around him that were always thought of as the more vocal players on the team. I don't think the captain HAS to be the best player on a team, they need to show that leadership ability. I don't question his talent, I don't question his work ethic, but I have always questioned his leadership abilities from a vocal perspective.

You need a guy who is going to tie the game up for your team in game 7? The choice on the Leafs is Tavares AINEC. You need a guy to rally the boys for a game 7 comeback? I am not sure that is Tavares.

Reactions: ChiTownLeafer

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs should have auctioned off the captaincy to their RFAs if they agreed to sign team friendly contracts. Leafs paid premium prices for Nylander and Matthews so they weren't interested. Maybe Kapanen or Johnsson sign cheap contracts so they are make captain.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad