Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Never mind who, but the the better question is what is taking so long?

What is expected to change from now to the time they name one?

That's a fair point. I think the Leafs have had the longest vacancy out of the handful or so of teams that are currently without a captain. FWIW though, one of those teams did make the SCF last season and are still a projected playoff team without a captain this season.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Rainney

Jan 17, 2012
Our best player Matthews should be the captain, and it's not even close.

Pass on Rielly.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Matthews or he walks in five years. he wanted to be the highest paid leaf and got it.
he wants the captaincy and if leafs want him to stay they have to give it to him.
Sounds like someone who thinks they're entitled to me. Hopefully AM34 doesn't think the way you do.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I do wonder if the Leafs wish they had given it to Matthews before the playoffs last season to wrap it up. Again, who knows if the Leafs thought they'd land JT in the end. I don't believe being a captain for JT would have been the yes-or-no matter for him.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He should be captain. While he was with us he represented us well. Unfortunately, well you know the rest of the story.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Why are you guys so sure Matthews wants it so bad?

He often seems tortured in the middle of media scrums and it doesn't seem like something a guy like that would want.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Look at the gameday interview before the Oilers game last week. A reporter asks him if all the work he did in the off season on skating may have closed the gap between him and McDavid and Matthews is clearly annoyed and dismissive of the idiot reporter.

I know these guys get stupid questions like that all the time but orgs want their guys to be professional regardless.

It's clear that Matthews often lacks patience with the media and finds it all tiresome.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If I had to choose right now, I would have to say Rielly.
Tavares is another good option.

As for Matthews, I seriously have my doubts he will be here after the 5 year deal. Not that he can’t be captain now but Part of me feels he is USA bound.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

As for Matthews, I seriously have my doubts he will be here after the 5 year deal. Not that he can’t be captain now but Part of me feels he is USA bound.

Any particular reason for feeling that way regarding Matthews? I'd only worry about him not still being here by then under the situation that the team doesn't have the ability to win or compete at that point. If that's the case, that'd probably be one in a series of problems.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Any particular reason for feeling that way regarding Matthews? I'd only worry about him not still being here by then under the situation that the team doesn't have the ability to win or compete at that point. If that's the case, that'd probably be one in a series of problems.
Again it’s just my feeling. Many little things probably viewed as a conspiracy theory or taking things out of context.

1. Nylander got the no trade vote, Marner the Leaf for life, Matthews just quietly signed. 5 years. Choose your own adventure after that.
2. Family. Close to his mom. USA strong.
3. The overblown but existing Babcock goes to Arizona + usage stuff last summer. Babcock himself.
4. Not crazy for the media and it’s worse here. Over time? Who knows.
5. Captain or not? What if someone else gets it a la not O’Reilly when he was with Colorado.
6. Obviously how things progress come playoff time.

Again, nothing to this but my feelings. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Dallas,Arizona,Vegas,California in the future. And then again be totally wrong and Toronto for 8 more.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Again it’s just my feeling. Many little things probably viewed as a conspiracy theory or taking things out of context.

1. Nylander got the no trade vote, Marner the Leaf for life, Matthews just quietly signed. 5 years. Choose your own adventure after that.
2. Family. Close to his mom. USA strong.
3. The overblown but existing Babcock goes to Arizona + usage stuff last summer. Babcock himself.
4. Not crazy for the media and it’s worse here. Over time? Who knows.
5. Captain or not? What if someone else gets it a la not O’Reilly when he was with Colorado.
6. Obviously how things progress come playoff time.

Again, nothing to this but my feelings. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Dallas,Arizona,Vegas,California in the future. And then again be totally wrong and Toronto for 8 more.

Thanks for sharing that. I always enjoy your viewpoints.

I guess at the end of the day, the hopeful pitch would continue to be a competitive team and a competitive salary. If that doesn't suffice, everything else might be out of team control. It is what it is, in that case.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You can theoretically do Tavares until the end of his contract and have Matthews take the C at around the age of 27 if and when you sign him to his 3rd and final contract. That does depend on giving the C to Tavares though but I think we should see our captain being named this summer, I think that's a guarantee

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for sharing that. I always enjoy your viewpoints.

I guess at the end of the day, the hopeful pitch would continue to be a competitive team and a competitive salary. If that doesn't suffice, everything else might be out of team control. It is what it is, in that case.
We want to push for that Cup hard in the next 3 years. Very hard. Because in 3, we have to sign Rielly and Andersen (in 2 actually) to new deals. Then you get down to the last 2 years of Matthews/Nylander.
Right now it’s like collecting bubblegum cards, get the rare ones and we will figure it out later.

Reactions: Buds17

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I like not having a captain. I think having multiple voices in the room willing to step up is important for the growth of this team. I think having one captain allows everyone to take a step back and I don't like that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If the team feels it’s unsure about Matthews after his current contract (which I doubt they are) then all the more incentive to give Matthews even more reason to resign.

Imo if they give it to anyone else it will cause an unnecessary media controversy even if Matthews is fine say with JT getting it

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Let's see who shows up for the playoffs.
The team won't decide this till the Summer.

I wanted our dear leader to be Auston, but i'm just not feeling it on many levels. This year JT has been leading this team. Matthews is uninspired.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I was hoping they would use the C as a bargaining chip to get Matthews on a cheaper deal. Now I’m hoping they do it with Marner and if not then give it to Rielly.

I don’t think it matters much who wears the C, but if it could help our cap that would make it much more important.

Just a question for you. If you were a hockey player and the team offered the captaincy with less money, would you take it? I know I wouldn't.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I like not having a captain. I think having multiple voices in the room willing to step up is important for the growth of this team. I think having one captain allows everyone to take a step back and I don't like that.

Not having a captain doesn't mean you just have three of them wearing A's instead. Teams with no captain still have a de facto one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad