Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hard for us fans to say because we dont know the dynamic in the room, but I feel like it will be between JT, Matthews and Rielly. Maybe Marner is in that group too. Wouldn't be mad at any of those choices.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
but he did.

when few leafs fans expected anything other than another tank season, he produced at an elite level to lead us to the playoffs, and we haven't looked back since.
He had 69 points. That was a good rookie season but he was not by himself in turning our team around and if you want to give credit to one person let’s start with our Goalie as he clearly was our team best player and most responsible.

And just an FYI I thought we could make the playoffs in that first season.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah, that's it... /s

His uncle was the greatest player to ever play in the NLL though. Admittedly, I just find it hilarious how many around here, Leafs Nation, and local media think Tavares is the greatest player to ever put on the jersey. It's getting really comical...
Can you post any post that states that posters are stating that JT is the greatest ever. You seem to be the only one declaring him the best ever!

macisaac6

Jul 11, 2012
Like many people said we have no idea of the dressing room situation. Tbh for me he would make a great captain.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I feel it should go to Morgan Rielly and then Marner.

As much as I love Matthews, from what I have seen, I don't feel he has the leadership qualities Rielly or Marner has and people are confusing his status as a very good player (or projected Crosby level) with captaincy. Of course he is young and still growing.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
For me, Matthews is the one who stirs the drink.

All this confidence flowing through Leafs nation is because of him. It's been noticeable since he was drafted. He's the unspoken leader. This team will only go as far as he takes them (and Freddy of course).

Not Rielly. Not Tavares. Not Marner.

I'm almost certain Tavares signed cause of Matthews or he's sitting in San Jose right now.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Should not?

1. He is soft... Cant deal with fans booing, how could he ever deal with everything else

2. He was a FA signing.. A FA signing on a team who is draft and develop is prob not best for business

Im not in the room but.... Reilly looks like a leader to me, as does Marner. Matthews? Seems to lack the drive i guess or ability to stand up for teammates like JT and i think that's an important part to being captain.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Should not?

1. He is soft... Cant deal with fans booing, how could he ever deal with everything else

2. He was a FA signing.. A FA signing on a team who is draft and develop is prob not best for business

1. That’s a figment of your own imagination.

2. Boston made a big mistake giving FA Chara the C apparently.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I think he should be. His work ethic is very strong and a model for younger Leafs. He has experience as a captain. He is great with the media. He produces a PPG. Babcock and the players respect him. He has my vote. Make him Captain before the playoffs. Btw Matthews time will come.
JT might literally be here longer than Matthews. He's sure signed for longer.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews, Reilly and JT are there but I feel Kapanen is making a strong case too. I see Marner as a spark plug more than Captain.

I think if Lou is around, Lou might make Marleau the Captain and send him to Marleau’s Island the next day and get his cap relief.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Reilly or Tavares, you can’t go wrong with either.

If Matthews had re -signed for 7-8 years, he would have been given consideration, but he wouldn’t have been my choice. He still has to prove that he can put this team on his shoulders at tough times, but it hasn’t happened yet. Still a young guy so hopefully with maturity it will come.

Reactions: CincoHolio

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
I would like to see JT as captain for obvious reasons to me.
However I will go with and get behind whoever gets the Job. At least there are a few players capable. Matthews would probably shine with the role. He is young and still finding his place imo. I see him maturing into the player everyone sees a bit later than others like Crosby etc.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Many Isles fans always liked this thought process of having the silent captain who shows how hard you need to work to become a star.

I'm curious what fans would think of a captain though who isn't the most vocal during rough patches for the team? I see Reilly being thrown out a lot here, how vocal is he known to be?

When Tavares was captain on Long Island there were various people around him that were always thought of as the more vocal players on the team. I don't think the captain HAS to be the best player on a team, they need to show that leadership ability. I don't question his talent, I don't question his work ethic, but I have always questioned his leadership abilities from a vocal perspective.

You need a guy who is going to tie the game up for your team in game 7? The choice on the Leafs is Tavares AINEC. You need a guy to rally the boys for a game 7 comeback? I am not sure that is Tavares.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Tavares is not the guy to get a team motivated, but his skill is undeniable. Rielly would be my pick right now. I don't see Matthews as a leader YET. He needs to prove himself this postseason to show he's worthy of the C.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I feel it should go to Morgan Rielly and then Marner.

As much as I love Matthews, from what I have seen, I don't feel he has the leadership qualities Rielly or Marner has and people are confusing his status as a very good player (or projected Crosby level) with captaincy. Of course he is young and still growing.

Agree with this although I would include Tavares in the group of potentials. Overall, I think Rielly is the right choice however.

The caption of a team does not need to be it's best player. He/she certainly can't be just some plug but this notion that just because a player is not the best on the team shouldn't exclude them from being the team's captain.

If Matthews were to assert himself more on and off the ice and be a little more consistent with his play, then I'd say he should be in the conversation.

Having said all that, I still think Matthews gets it anyway for aesthetic marketing purposes.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I don't really care, but its time for a Captain as this is getting ridiculous.

Although having said that I would rather have Hyman as captain as he seems to be a real leader in terms of work ethic and accountability. Leave the stars to do their thing and let Hyman answer to the media.

This wouldn't be such a crazy notion either. I actually wish the media would go to Zach more for soundbites after games. I mean, the guy is a freakin' published author - children's books albeit - but still, I'm sure he has a lot to say. He's also the type of player that you go to war with and can lead by example on every shift he plays.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Lots of good candidates. I hope they get on with it and finally name one next season. No reason not top have a captain when there are legit options for the job.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad