Give Chiarelli a chance

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I give him a Dorion A for Effort. In other words fire him and find someone more patient.
The thing about Chiarelli "lack of patience"is that he was hired as a Grade A GM, to balance of the team between the young talent and to put some defense into place.
When he got in, Edmonton had RNH, Hall, Draisaitl, Yakupov and they were getting McDavid.
He was pressed to find defense. On the first season, when the Larsson for Hall trade happened, Talbot was having a great year in Edmonton's net and Larsson looked like he was a great addition. Hall was great with NJ, but not elite on his first year there.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
After an extensive GM search the oilers shock the hockey world and re-hire Pete C.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
as far as I'm concerned, since Chiarelli joined the Oilers, our major need was an offensive defenseman, and he even said this when he took the damn job. I was very patient with him because I know it's not easy, but the fact is that he never gave us one, even with putting Hall up for sale. With our pick that gave us Bouchard, he even said that this reduced his need to get an offensive defenseman! He basically gave up on the 2018-19 season at that point. He simply failed at his one major assignment.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Good Evening,

I noticed that Chiarelli isn't given enough credit on these boards. I admit he didn't succeed in Edmonton. But what he accomplished in Boston is still notable.

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
Trading Kessel to Toronto
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Do I want him to be the GM of my favorite team? Probably not. Not right now.

But I think some team will hire him in the future

hey chia

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Take a good look at the last two years and what Chi did. Most moves were bad. Some were terrible. A couple of them were astonishingly stupid ( trading drake caggiula for manning when we desperately needed nhl forwards and already had an unlimited supply of number 7/8 defensemen). I would be shocked if he gets another GM job in the NHL.

Reactions: MC2D and Ibanezrokr

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He thought Manning would help the Oilers and the AHL team didn't even agree, he was getting scratched in Bakersfield.

His managing is pure comedy, I hope he gets hired somewhere.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Will get a shot as an assistant GM. I could see him in Vegas if McCrimmon gets a GM job in the NHL. Heard Crim might be Seattle's new GM.

Gets one last stint as an NHL GM, messes it up and never is a GM again. That or he instantly becomes President of an NHL team. Likely a team that is the biggest trainwreck in NHL history since the Oilers.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Honestly have no clue if it was all him or the high up clowns in Edmonton that dictated his moves. Remember the Seguin trade for instance pretty much the entire room wanted him gone (Sans Sweeney I think)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He thought Manning would help the Oilers and the AHL team didn't even agree, he was getting scratched in Bakersfield.

His managing is pure comedy, I hope he gets hired somewhere.

some speculation that seabrook might have been on chia's radar...unfortunately he got canned before he could pull the trigger

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I pray that he gets another job. Perhaps as GM in Seattle. The league is a whole lot less fun without Chia.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Good Evening,

I noticed that Chiarelli isn't given enough credit on these boards. I admit he didn't succeed in Edmonton. But what he accomplished in Boston is still notable.

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Didn't succeed in Edmonton? He dumpstered the team and what's left are some of the most idiotic contracts in the league. Not enough credit? --> :loony:

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Good Evening,

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Peter.... posting on this board probably won't get you another job.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just for the record, Marchand was Jeff Gorton's pick. Chiarelli did not join the Bruins until July 15th, which was after that draft.

Bruins drafting was largely mediocre for Chiarelli's early years until they hired Keith Gretzky ... Gretzky made the Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk picks.

But hey, if some other team wants to hire Chiarelli ... go for it, lol. Hope you don't have any talented wingers you're fond of.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Absolutely Chia should get another chance. Hopefully in Calgary or Toronto...I doubt Boston or Edmonton would give him another shot, so let's see. What other teams do I hate...would be a good laugh if he went to one of the Cali teams...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad