Give Chiarelli a chance

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Good Evening,

I noticed that Chiarelli isn't given enough credit on these boards. I admit he didn't succeed in Edmonton. But what he accomplished in Boston is still notable.

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
Trading Kessel to Toronto
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Do I want him to be the GM of my favorite team? Probably not. Not right now.

But I think some team will hire him in the future

Hi Peter! I know it might seem rough right now but don't give up!

Reactions: Darkwinter

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's what makes it so interesting. You know that likely nothing we've been told about Chia is true if it puts the Old Boys in a bad light. Remember how they proudly claimed the Koskinen contract was a group effort, but then after the fan reaction was the opposite of what they expected, they tried to backtrack on it at the STH meeting and said all the moves prior to the firing were all Chia?

Makes you wonder if he actually shut himself away from everyone else(and could you blame him if he did? haha) or are they just trying to put all the blame on him?

I really hope he miraculously gets a GM position next season so we can compare the teams.

Well, that miracle probably isn’t going to happen. So this is going to be your best look at Chiarelli without the Old Boys Club:

An incompetent moron, with or without them.

Reactions: Seanaconda

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
People do overreact in my opinion, he was a bad GM, but far from the worst of all time like he is treated.

That being said, I don't think he should get another position, there's likely a better option for whatever team is thinking about hiring him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good Evening,

I noticed that Chiarelli isn't given enough credit on these boards. I admit he didn't succeed in Edmonton. But what he accomplished in Boston is still notable.

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Is that you Pete?

All of these good moves you listed happened 5-13 years ago.

Now list all of moves in Edmonton, all of which happened less than 4 or fewer years ago.... Then you can decide what the median is and what that averages out to, and I'm pretty sure it cancels out a lot of what he did 5-13 years ago.

While his tenure in Edmonton was definitely one of the worst GM reigns of all time, what he did 5-13 years ago in Boston probably keeps him from being in the running for the worst NHL GM of all time though. That's about it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Good Evening,

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

Kessel was traded for two 1sts... Those firsts were subsequently traded for garbage packages.

Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson...
Traded Tyler Seguin for Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, and Matt Fraser...
Traded Dougie Hamilton for a 1st and a 2nd.

I guess he can at least say he was fired before they were dumb enough to draft Zboril, Debrusk, Senyshyn in 2015... Considering the next three picks were Barzal, Connor, and Chabot.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Kessel was traded for two 1sts... Those firsts were subsequently traded for garbage packages.

Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson...
Traded Tyler Seguin for Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, and Matt Fraser...
Traded Dougie Hamilton for a 1st and a 2nd.

I guess he can at least say he was fired before they were dumb enough to draft Zboril, Debrusk, Senyshyn in 2015... Considering the next three picks were Barzal, Connor, and Chabot.

was it not Sweeny who traded Hamilton or maybe I remeber it wrong, happend so much those crazy days before that draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, that miracle probably isn’t going to happen. So this is going to be your best look at Chiarelli without the Old Boys Club:

An incompetent moron, with or without them.

That is possibly the least confident speaker I've ever heard in my life. Blows my mind everytime I hear it.

Reactions: Jacob

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Good Evening,

Drafting Pastrnak
Drafting Marchand
Signing Chara
2011 Stanley Cup
2013 Finals

He also traded Seguin, Hamilton for nothing

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Ok what about everything that happened after July 15 2006?

Drafting Pastrnak - Just cause you say a guys name, doesn't mean you drafted him. Credit goes to his scouting department.
Drafting Marchand - See above, especially for 3rd round picks
Signing Chara
Trading Kessel to Toronto - More like ran out of town. He was lucky Burke was in charge of the Leafs to get all those picks, which Chiarelli then ran out of town.
2011 Stanley Cup - Tim Thomas got hot, went on a run, won them the Stanley Cup.
2013 Finals - Some voodoo magic the team did based on what happened the previous 3 rounds?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
is the Kessel trade even a positive?

what's the point of trading for draft picks if you're just gonna trade them for garbage before they peak? would have been better off just keeping Kessel

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I've never in my lifetime witnessed a GM destroy a team as bad as he's destroyed the Oilers future. They have the best player in the world and they still have no hope. They had career years from like 5 players and still weren't even close.

That's gonna be a no from me, dawg

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
As a hawks fan, I hope he gets a job somewhere. We have one or two more bad contracts that id still like to exchange for good players. Got any more of them Caggulias?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Chiarelli made a lot of bad moves. I think he got caught up in what helped Boston win the cup back in 2011 and never evolved, or he just has bad judgement in general. I mean there is a long list of bad moves he made on the Oilers, but even just the Petrovic and Manning deals he made near the end were terrible. Not only were these guys already questionable d-men on the teams that had them, but the Oilers did not have the cap room to afford to waste on guys who were not clear NHL players. Add that they had no forward depth and they traded a young forward that had some grit and scoring ability to acquire one of these guys and it adds up to just having awful judgement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad