Friedman: Giroux's preference is to be traded to Florida rather than Colorado or other contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It doesn't really seem like Giroux is interested in the cup. It seems like he's more interested in working with Fletcher to get more players for when he returns to Philadelphia next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Could be any number of reasons for that.

May be a matter of familiarity with the teams and opponents in the East.

May be that, in his assessment, Florida has a better team (who knows what he sees, but the Flyers have had a much better go at the Avalanche lately than the Panthers).

May be that, from his dealings with other players around the league, he gets along with/likes more dudes in the Panthers room than in the Avs one.

May be that the travel will be less grueling for a guy who has two toddlers at home.

May be that the plan truly is to just come right back to Philly in the summer, and Florida is just a nice extended vacation for said young family.

May be some bizarre revenge fantasy where he truly feels the need to go through a bunch of old Eastern foes to feel worthy (this is sarcastic).

Hard to say what goes through his mind, and I doubt he'll ever tell, but the explanations are endless.
Possible he prefers Disneyworld too

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tippett is a fine player, thats a good return + somethng else on the side.

ps Would be real david lynch type of weirdoness, if they send Joe Thornton to philadelphia on the side creating cap space. Must have felt like a big blow on the heart of joe.... if that happens. But then, philly would trade thornton to another, poorer contender, like Vegas nore nashville for example example. Joe Thornton nowadays, does not make any team a better team. He can only talk now, but that is also needed and good. He should only stand and speak none the less now.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Flyers don’t have to trade Giroux, and he’d be ok with staying, so you people talking about Florida not having to give much because “the media “ said he wants to go there is funny

Reactions: SnS

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Flyers don’t have to trade Giroux, and he’d be ok with staying, so you people talking about Florida not having to give much because “the media “ said he wants to go there is funny

How to make the year even worse for Flyers

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think we've reached the point of no return now that the Flyers are sitting him. He's getting traded. Fletcher isn't exactly the type to make a stand and play hardball (see Risto contract).

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
In the grand scheme of things...how likely is it that any return from Giroux moves the needle significantly for Philadelphia?

I think it is extremely low, and it will come down to luck, first via the best draft picks they acquire, followed by the best prospects. 1x1st and 1xgood prospect is a floor-ish proposal, and to be honest, I don't really care about acquiring any more, because they will just be loooong odds lottery tickets, and we get 7+ of those every year for free.

I am mostly happy to hear that teams are interested, which means Giroux is interested in actually going. So he has come to grips with the facts of leaving, and to certain teams. Good for him, I wish him all the best. And whatever Philly receives in return will always...always...be a poor substitute for having him on the squad. Flyers would have to hit a grand slam home run for the assets acquired to be better than G, even at his age. And as for him returning to Philly...I think it unlikely, if not impossible after this decision is made.

Good luck on your search for the cup Claude, I'll be cheering for ya.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We're numb with rage at this point. The thing that would most suck most for us if Giroux's not traded would be that he wouldn't have a chance at a cup this year.
Id be more than fine with him staying if the return is trash.

They are having a bad year, taking a beating for Ristolainen signing and now looking at being ”losers” of the trade deadline?

I think their respect towards G will play a big part

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
They are having a bad year, taking a beating for Ristolainen signing and now looking at being ”losers” of the trade deadline?

I think their respect towards G will play a big part

I still think he comes back either way. So, I’m sure he’d be fine making an extension

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I still think he comes back either way. So, I’m sure he’d be fine making an extension
i think it's unlikely he returns to Philly. especially if he's traded. because winning a Cup is a reasonable goal for a player of his years, and just being comfortable in a particular location simply holds you back from being the best you can be.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think the return will be underwhelming and the Panthers don’t give up a ton.

Sounds like Giroux is basically making it clear he only wants Florida, which should bring down the price quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00