Friedman: Giroux's preference is to be traded to Florida rather than Colorado or other contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Don’t have much faith in Chuck getting a good deal. Looking forward to having a team that is entertaining to watch and root for.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Can’t remember what I read that had this, but there was chatter that G had a harder time seeing where he’d fit in on Colorado’s roster than he did with Florida’s.
Weekes was speculating that last night on NHL Network -- that Giroux's agent was talking to potential trade partners about his role on the team. Apparently, Giroux is not interested in filling a 3rd line role on 5-on-5 with some PP time.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Sounds like it was Florida all along and that "show" is nothing more than Fletcher saving face and squeeze out as much as possible from Zito.

Sakic better opt out immediately. Let Zito take Fletcher to the cleaners on that one. Congrats to the Panthers on getting the prime price of this TDL.

If Sakic knows it's Florida he has no reason to opt out. Make it as expensive as possible for them by staying in the race.

Reactions: Avs44

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
G should want to go to COL because he has a better chance of re-signing there with Kadri likely leaving. So it would be a great spot to extend his career (signs 3 year deal or something).

Or maybe he’s just lazy AF and doesn’t want to work harder with the lower oxygen in the high altitude COL air. 🤔

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Sounds like it was Florida all along and that "show" is nothing more than Fletcher saving face and squeeze out as much as possible from Zito.

Sakic better opt out immediately. Let Zito take Fletcher to the cleaners on that one. Congrats to the Panthers on getting the prime price of this TDL.
Except it may be more in Colorado's interest to let Fletcher to take Zito to the cleaners than the other way around.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Sakic knows it's Florida he has no reason to opt out. Make it as expensive as possible for them by staying in the race.

Yeah this.

Sakic should absolutely go to the very limit of what he's willing to offer. That way it forces Florida to pay more, and if they dont and Giroux comes back to Fletcher over the next few days and says he's fine with Colorado, the Avs get him without overpaying in Sakic's eyes.

In the meantime, I would imagine Sakic should be and most likely is talking to other teams and getting an idea of what his next alternative is if/when Giroux does go to Florida. Avs have been linked to Copp for a while now and I think he's just as good a fit for us as Giroux.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Weekes was speculating that last night on NHL Network -- that Giroux's agent was talking to potential trade partners about his role on the team. Apparently, Giroux is not interested in filling a 3rd line role on 5-on-5 with some PP time.
And why could he? He is still a 70 point player if he gets to play with other skill players in a competent system....which Fla and Avs are.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope he ends up in Colorado. Looks like a better fit roster-wise and they have an easier road through the Playoffs.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Can’t remember what I read that had this, but there was chatter that G had a harder time seeing where he’d fit in on Colorado’s roster than he did with Florida’s.
Easy.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Nichushkin-Kadri-Giroux
NAK-Newhook-Burakovsky
LOC/Compher/Helm/MacDermid/Sturm/Maltsev in some combination.

Or bump Nichushkin down to Newhook's line.
Or put Landeskog on the second line.

Giroux's versatility is the main reason I want him on the team, the combinations are basically endless.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
G should want to go to COL because he has a better chance of re-signing there with Kadri likely leaving. So it would be a great spot to extend his career (signs 3 year deal or something).

Or maybe he’s just lazy AF and doesn’t want to work harder with the lower oxygen in the high altitude COL air. 🤔
It's been reported (speculated?) that he intends to return to Philly in the offseason.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Doubtful Avs wouldn't have Giroux in top 6, given they have better fits like Nichushkin for the 3rd line. Burakovsky's recent play is a candidate to get bumped down as well, though he often doesn't contribute much in bottom-6.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
why wouldn't you want to go to the Avs right now?

weird.

I think he’s interested in resigning in Florida if he fits in there. Not sure on their cap situation or if they can make it work (maybe a Florida fan could chime in). Just think Florida is a great place to raise a family if that’s a priority. I’d choose it over Philly myself.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I’d say Lindholm will be that overall.

Tippett+2nd is my guess

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure why he’s so set on going to Florida? Can’t be the state tax or beaches considering he’s a rental, the majority of his contract is already paid and he’ll be playing hockey like 90% of the time there.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
I think he’s interested in resigning in Florida if he fits in there. Not sure on their cap situation or if they can make it work (maybe a Florida fan could chime in). Just think Florida is a great place to raise a family if that’s a priority. I’d choose it over Philly myself.
Looking at their capfriendly page, it would be tough. They have very few players on expiring contracts, which is great for keeping the team together to make another run next year but probably less than ideal for signing big name players.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not sure why he’s so set on going to Florida? Can’t be the state tax or beaches considering he’s a rental, the majority of his contract is already paid and he’ll be playing hockey like 90% of the time there.
It very much is the beaches and lifestyle IMO. He'll still have lots of free time -- would you rather spend a few months chilling in a beach house in Florida or in Colorado where you can't really take advantage of the best the state has to offer? Also have to bear in mind the guy has a wife and two very young children -- what they prefer for the next few months very much matters too. I'm sure they'd be happier spending their time on the beach in Florida. I'm not at all surprised Giroux would rather be in Florida, honestly.

Reactions: MaWa

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Seen Tippet thrown around a lot in the rumor mill for Florida. I watched a lot of him in the OHL but have not been keeping tabs on him since his draft. What do people think of him at this point?
kid should be a mainstay. needs to be mean. take more chances with finding his shot.

has all the tools.. needs the brain to just say f it let's go

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Looking at their capfriendly page, it would be tough. They have very few players on expiring contracts, which is great for keeping the team together to make another run next year but probably less than ideal for signing big name players.
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure then. I get the feeling that’s what he wants (if he’s truly set on going to Florida)…maybe because it’s what I’d want. Get a house on the canal in a nice family friendly beachtown and raise your family. Have a boat for fishing, and a quick drive to Fort Lauderdale.

I guess it depends on how important maxing out his earnings is. Leaving millions of dollars on the table probably doesn’t make much sense if you can just retire there in a few years anyway. His kids are young enough that he could move there in a few years and it won’t be a big deal for them. If his main priority is to compete for a cup and be somewhere he wants to live for the foreseeable future then I could see him taking a team friendly deal to stay there.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's been reported (speculated?) that he intends to return to Philly in the offseason.

Consider how all the previous speculation from lesser known insiders turned out to be wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if this is untrue as well.

From the sounds of it Giroux's family prefers Florida, if he intended to re-sign with Philly in the offseason I'm not quite sure why his family preference mattered for 2 months. At least not enough to sway him that far in one direction.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I'm sure Zito allready knows Giroux is set on Florida. There will be no "bidding war".

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
it’s odd he prefers Florida. If he wants to be in Florida so bad then he can go spend time there during the off-season after winning a Stanley Cup in Colorado. Not wanting to live in Colorado is an extreme head scratcher. Works for Peyton Manning’s family and now Russell Wilson.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Giroux isnt in his prime anymore, but he is still one of the most reliable players. How many games did he miss here? 10-20 games?
And he is still a really good player on his own in many aspects of the game. And his elite vision, passing and hockey sense wont get any worse.
And with such few injuries that i have known of, i think he still got a some good years left in him.

But tbh my gut feeling is horrible. I have zero confidence in Fletcher and his staff in getting any good value out of an exceptional player like Giroux is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad