Friedman: Giroux's preference is to be traded to Florida rather than Colorado or other contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I think the return will be underwhelming and the Panthers don’t give up a ton.

Sounds like Giroux is basically making it clear he only wants Florida, which should bring down the price quite a bit.

It's probably more complicated than that. I think both parties probably want to do as right by the other as possible, so if the Avs offer is that much better than Florida's, G just might go along with it. I don't really care either way, as I'm expecting to be underwhelmed on the return. I'll just be rooting for him to win the whole enchilada wherever he is.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The return is going to be controversial because it will likely include Tippett who falls somewhere between a young player with tons of potential to a fringe NHLer at best...depending on who you talk to.

Most Flyers fans see Tippett as Risto 2.0...a bad player but with shiney features (size, shot) that the Flyers management love to overvalue. Any deal with him will be seen as a failure.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's probably more complicated than that. I think both parties probably want to do as right by the other as possible, so if the Avs offer is that much better than Florida's, G just might go along with it. I don't really care either way, as I'm expecting to be underwhelmed on the return. I'll just be rooting for him to win the whole enchilada wherever he is.

I mean I hope thats the case since I want the Avs to get Giroux. But I honestly doubt he cares about the trade pieces.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The return is going to be controversial because it will likely include Tippett who falls somewhere between a young player with tons of potential to a fringe NHLer at best...depending on who you talk to.

Most Flyers fans see Tippett as Risto 2.0...a bad player but with shiney features (size, shot) that the Flyers management love to overvalue. Any deal with him will be seen as a failure.
If Tippett is deemed the best asset coming back, then it will be.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

I think you mean most of the Flyers management

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
What happened to him? Didn't he use to be their main insider/beat writer?
That was kinda by default (the only good beat writer the avs have had since moving from Quebec is Ryan Clark…then he went to Seattle and Baugh is…not good but better than the rest), then dater had alcohol problems and started sending creepy texts and we got stuck with chambers on the post beat…who’s thinks he’s the DU beat writer

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What is Florida giving back to make Philly happy and work within cap.

If Colorado has the best offer but Giroux wants to go to Florida only, then all Florida has to do is wait until 30 minutes before the trade deadline and ask Philly if they are ready to get nothing for him or are they ready to accept what works for Florida.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Colorado has the best offer but Giroux wants to go to Florida only, then all Florida has to do is wait until 30 minutes before the trade deadline and ask Philly if they are ready to get nothing for him or are they ready to accept what works for Florida.
Not even that long…Colorado will likely move to Plan B/C (I’m assuming they have one) before that point and take themselves out of it if Philly is still sitting on this as the seconds count down.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If Florida's #1 d is out long term I wonder if that changes giroux's outlook on the destination. Maybe he opens up to Colorado. Ekblad's injury did not look good tonight and very few contenders can survive losing their #1d

Reactions: SnapVirus

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If Tippett is deemed the best asset coming back, then it will be.
I always felt Hepo had way more upside than Tippett he just needed to work on his body and adjust to NA hockey. If I was Philly I’d take him over Tippett anyday but he obviously wouldn’t be the main piece (and neither should Tippett)

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
If Florida's #1 d is out long term I wonder if that changes giroux's outlook on the destination. Maybe he opens up to Colorado. Ekblad's injury did not look good tonight and very few contenders can survive losing their #1d
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We have absolutely no clue what his injury is and how long he will be out.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017

Just curious what the cost of them retaining and taking a cap dump would be. If the offer isn't enough they might be better off just letting him walk.

Edit: Looking at cap friendly maybe the cap dump isn't as bad as I'd guessed offhand unless I'm wrong they'd only need to offload a small contract like Mamin, bonus that his contract expires this year. They could probably just trade picks.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We have absolutely no clue what his injury is and how long he will be out.
I didn't say his leg is getting amputated, I said it didn't look good at all. I'm hopeful it's not as bad as it looked bc I'm rooting for the guy but realistically it looked bad. There are 2.5 days to figure things out but a bad injury here would have massive affects on the market through the deadline. The Panthers have shown they are going for it already

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

It's possible. That team is mediocre defensively with Ekblad, losing him long term would be a huge blow.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I didn't say his leg is getting amputated, I said it didn't look good at all. I'm hopeful it's not as bad as it looked bc I'm rooting for the guy but realistically it looked bad. There are 2.5 days to figure things out but a bad injury here would have massive affects on the market through the deadline. The Panthers have shown they are going for it already
Brunette already said the news looks good and he'll be back before the playoffs.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Just curious what the cost of them retaining and taking a cap dump would be. If the offer isn't enough they might be better off just letting him walk.

Edit: Looking at cap friendly maybe the cap dump isn't as bad as I'd guessed offhand unless I'm wrong they'd only need to offload a small contract like Mamin, bonus that his contract expires this year. They could probably just trade picks.

No need for any cap dump, if 50% retained. They have to move one contract down anyways and that's enough for cap space.

And about Ekblad. If it's known, that he will be out whole regular season, will they use that cap space for another defenseman?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
No need for any cap dump, if 50% retained. They have to move one contract down anyways and that's enough for cap space.

And about Ekblad. If it's known, that he will be out whole regular season, will they use that cap space for another defenseman?
He'll be back for the playoffs. Panthers aren't in danger of missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00