Proposal: Gibson to the Avs

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Can we trade for your backup goalie however?

I doubt it. Not because it couldn't be done value wise, but because if the Ducks did, Miller would probably just retire. IIRC his wife is an actress in LA (& much like Getz) has built his home life there and has no desire to leave. Something could probably be done with the Kings & maybe the Sharks, other than that though... probably not. If 'he' went to the GM & said he wanted to chase The Cup one more time then something could be worked out, otherwise he's (probably) not going anywhere.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I doubt it. Not because it couldn't be done value wise, but because if the Ducks did, Miller would probably just retire. IIRC his wife is an actress in LA (& much like Getz) has built his home life there and has no desire to leave. Something could probably be done with the Kings & maybe the Sharks, other than that though... probably not. If 'he' went to the GM & said he wanted to chase The Cup one more time then something could be worked out, otherwise he's (probably) not going anywhere.
Makes sense. These guys are not video game characters. They have actual lives.

Avs are, IMO, in dire need of a cheap and NHLish caliber backup goalie. They also need a bottom six C. Other than that, they are loaded.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think we Avs fans agree. Gibson is a top 3 goalie. Grubs is top 10. Makes no sense to gut our farm for this level of upgrade for a non need. Can we trade for your backup goalie however?

I'd agree with that.

But, I'd also say that we're talking about almost academic differences at that level. The difference between the best SV% and 20th best over the last 2+ seasons (2018-19 - today - 50+ games played), is about 14 goals per 1000 shots. Or, 1 goal per 3 or 4 games. It adds up over a season, but there won't be a discernable difference in most games.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My only qualm with Grubauer is do you trust him to handle the workload. He's never played 40 games a season. In less time, Gibson has played almost 100 games more, and plays 50-60 games a season.

It might not be worth the upgrade, and Grubauer is playing fantastic, but he does have at least one big question to answer. Can he stay healthy and last beyond 40 (though I guess that's much less of a concern this year). That's something worth keeping an eye on. But as mentioned, it's being pretty nitpicky of a powerhouse team--though those margins matter most at the highest level!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do AVS fans think it’s gru being a stud or their system and defense propping him up?

could another goalie have their stats inflated in the avs system?
It's little bit of both; there are games that Grubauer have absolutely stole the last two years and there are games that Avs have really bailed out Grubauer. He's definitely a top 10 goaler in the league talent wise with an AHL-level glove hand, with a good video coach that could turn into ECHL-level glove hand.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
My only qualm with Grubauer is do you trust him to handle the workload. He's never played 40 games a season. In less time, Gibson has played almost 100 games more, and plays 50-60 games a season.

It might not be worth the upgrade, and Grubauer is playing fantastic, but he does have at least one big question to answer. Can he stay healthy and last beyond 40 (though I guess that's much less of a concern this year). That's something worth keeping an eye on. But as mentioned, it's being pretty nitpicky of a powerhouse team--though those margins matter most at the highest level!

That is a very valid concern, and is something we'll need to keep an eye on. But, it's the same concern every team has with trying to turn a backup into a starter. He didn't really have the chance to play 50+ in his first season in Colorado because we still had Varlamov. And last year, he got run over by Ian Cole in the Stadium Series game, before the pandemic shut everything down. Hard to judge him based on either of these seasons, so the only way to find out is to give him the chance again this season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That is a very valid concern, and is something we'll need to keep an eye on. But, it's the same concern every team has with trying to turn a backup into a starter. He didn't really have the chance to play 50+ in his first season in Colorado because we still had Varlamov. And last year, he got run over by Ian Cole in the Stadium Series game, before the pandemic shut everything down. Hard to judge him based on either of these seasons, so the only way to find out is to give him the chance again this season.

To add, I do think the Avs have the benefit of time here, too. This isn't a do-or-die year so no "need" for a move, if anything, it's a chance to ID areas of opportunity. Grubauer may yet shut that down.

I've been bullish on the idea of Gibson to the Avs, though, so I'm impatient :D

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018

If I were the Aves, I would try to do a 1A 1B situation. Maybe acquire someone on the level of Markstrom, some legit starter that's on the down side of his career but can still handle a hefty load, and have him split time with Grubauer. Grubauer by himself I don't see being able to carry a team to the cup. But in combination with another legitimate starter (but not an high-end one), they might be able to back stop a contender.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

IF he wanted to move, sounds like Miller would be the perfect target then. He's still probably good enough to be a low end #1 and could be a good short-term starter. He doesn't have a Cup and in a shortened season, he wouldn't be away from his wife nearly as long. This would be the perfect season for him to chase one. He'd be significantly cheaper to acquire and I'd love to see him win one before he retires (which won't happen in Anaheim).

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If I were the Aves, I would try to do a 1A 1B situation. Maybe acquire someone on the level of Markstrom, some legit starter that's on the down side of his career but can still handle a hefty load, and have him split time with Grubauer. Grubauer by himself I don't see being able to carry a team to the cup. But in combination with another legitimate starter (but not an high-end one), they might be able to back stop a contender.

If he were healthy, Francouz could be the 1B. The issue is that he's currently injured, and we don't have a reliable 3rd string goalie. Even a mediocre NHL backup would be an improvement over Miska.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
If he were healthy, Francouz could be the 1B. The issue is that he's currently injured, and we don't have a reliable 3rd string goalie. Even a mediocre NHL backup would be an improvement over Miska.

I just don't see Francouz as being a legit starter in any form in this league. We can agree to disagree though.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
IF he wanted to move, sounds like Miller would be the perfect target then. He's still probably good enough to be a low end #1 and could be a good short-term starter. He doesn't have a Cup and in a shortened season, he wouldn't be away from his wife nearly as long. This would be the perfect season for him to chase one. He'd be significantly cheaper to acquire and I'd love to see him win one before he retires (which won't happen in Anaheim).

I think Miller would be a great target as a backup to Grubauer, assuming Francouz isn't expected to return any time soon. Even then, having someone like Miller as our insurance policy in case one/both goalies get injured again in the playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing.

Reactions: Richard88

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
He put up the 6th best SV% in the NHL last year among goalies with 30+ games played, as a 29 year old NHL rookie. Not sure if he's a legit starter yet, but there's definitely the potential.

He's 30 now, and if you have someone in his 30s and still speaking of potential, you know there is something wrong in the argument. You could have made a similar argument about Hutton a couple of years ago, see how that turned out.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I just don't see Francouz as being a legit starter in any form in this league. We can agree to disagree though.

The Avs can't afford spending $10 mil+ on goaltending, and there is no need. A healthy Grubuaer/Francouz is a top 5-10 tandem in the league, the main issue is health.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
The Avs can't afford spending $10 mil+ on goaltending, and there is no need. A healthy Grubuaer/Francouz is a top 5-10 tandem in the league, the main issue is health.

Sorry, I just don't see Francouz as a legit goalie in any top-level tandom, unless the other member of the tandem is Roy/Hasek. There are always journeymen goaltenders that look good for a stretch or two, but at the end of the day, they are just fringe NHL players. When you have a primary like Grub that's already suspect (especially in terms of stamina and longevity), you need a real starter as the second member of the tandem.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Ehhhhhhh IDK about that one bud.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He's 30 now, and if you have someone in his 30s and still speaking of potential, you know there is something wrong in the argument. You could have made a similar argument about Hutton a couple of years ago, see how that turned out.

He played 34 games last season, went 21-7-4 and had a 0.923 SV%. Is it so far fetched to think that, assuming he could stay healthy, he could potentially be a legit NHL starter, if given the chance? At the very least, that's potential 1B level.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Sorry, I just don't see Francouz as a legit goalie in any top-level tandom, unless the other member of the tandem is Roy/Hasek. There are always journeymen goaltenders that look good for a stretch or two, but at the end of the day, they are just fringe NHL players. When you have a primary like Grub that's already suspect (especially in terms of stamina and longevity), you need a real starter as the second member of the tandem.

Do you realize that Francouz holds the KHL record for career SV%, by a fair margin? This isn't the first time he's played at a high level.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

What are you basing this off of? His playoff performance when he was playing injured? Francouz is a lot better than just a fringe NHL goalie, and the numbers suggest that.

Last season was Grubauer's first opportunity as a full-time starter and Francouz's first year as a full-time NHL backup. So yes, there are questions in the sense they don't have a track record in their given roles, but their play when healthy gives no cause for concern.

Last edited:

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I see what you guys are saying, but they are not really good arguments. Anytime when you have someone that takes to almost their 30s to make it to the NHL, they don't have great potential to be high end players in this league. His performance in the KHL, while somewhat relevant, is pretty far from a guarantee that he does the same here, KHL is a different game, with different rules, and notably inferior level of goal scoring skills compared to here.

I'm not saying that he doesn't belong here, I'm just saying that to rely on him as a member of equally split tandem, on a team that's supposedly a favorite to win it all, is a bit insane.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I see what you guys are saying, but they are not really good arguments. Anytime when you have someone that takes to almost their 30s to make it to the NHL, they don't have great potential to be high end players in this league. His performance in the KHL, while somewhat relevant, is pretty far from a guarantee that he does the same here, KHL is a different game, with different rules, and notably inferior level of goal scoring skills compared to here.

I'm not saying that he doesn't belong here, I'm just saying that to rely on him as a member of equally split tandem, on a team that's supposedly a favorite to win it all, is a bit insane.

Tim Thomas didn't make the NHL until he was 31, and still won 2 Vezinas and the Cup, so stranger things have happened.

And, when you say "a bit insane", would that be more or less insane than trading Duchene for a bunch of futures?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
hahahaa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad