Proposal: Gibson to the Avs

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
To Anaheim : Alex Newhook, Justin Barron, Martin Kaut, and Philip Graueber

To Colorado: John Gibson

I would prefer a deal around Byram but just seeing how this is value wise. I'm opposed to trading Gibson but just curious to see

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kaut and Barron are nearly two warm bodies so Newhook+Grubauer for Gibson. Damn...that's tough because I am high on Newhook but Gibson is exactly what the Avs need and it would set them up for the next several years.

I believe I would request that the Ducks make it more painful for the Avs to bring in an elite goalie.

Newhook would be a great piece to add to the Ducks core. What goalies do they have in the works that have future #1 potential? Any?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
To Anaheim : Alex Newhook, Justin Barron, Martin Kaut, and Philip Graueber

To Colorado: John Gibson

I would prefer a deal around Byram but just seeing how this is value wise. I'm opposed to trading Gibson but just curious to see

From the Avs point if view, I don't hate it. By that, I mean if the Avs trade Newhook, Gibson would be #1 on my list. I think the proposal is fair for the most part. I'd propose alternatives though.

For example, Barron or Timmins + Ranta or maybe Barron or Ranta + Helleson.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Kaut and Barron are nearly two warm bodies so Newhook+Grubauer for Gibson. Damn...that's tough because I am high on Newhook but Gibson is exactly what the Avs need and it would set them up for the next several years.

I believe I would request that the Ducks make it more painful for the Avs to bring in an elite goalie.

Newhook would be a great piece to add to the Ducks core. What goalies do they have in the works that have future #1 potential? Any?

Barron is a good player I wouldn't say he's a warm body. Kaut has little to no value

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
As a neutral fan I'd like to see it because super teams are fun. Though it feels like Edmonton/Buffalo would beat that offer if Gibson was available.

Feels like the Avs should try to get Deslauriers as well if he's reasonably available, would give them the same heavy edge that helped Tampa a lot last year after falling flat the year before. I'd also exchange Grubauer for Francouz so Avs can platoon Gibson/Grubauer and the Ducks can tank better, then do a handshake deal in the offseason flipping them back

Last edited:
Reactions: soothsayer

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Grubauer has a .937SV% and a 1.61 GAA this season. There's no reason to empty the farm for Gibson. Fun fact, Grubauer has had at least a .915SV% every season he's played in the NHL He's underrated.

Exactly. I go back and forth on this. And this is why.

I like Gibson a lot. And if there's one trade I'd be ok with involving Newhook, it would be for Gibson.

But its because of the facts presented in this post that makes me wonder if the ship has sailed on acquiring Gibson.

Newhook looks great. And he'll probably be marvelous once he joins the Avs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So far Grubauer is playing Vezina caliber in net, I'd say we wait and see how he does, how far he takes the Avs before emptying the farm for Gibson. Grubauer might actually be good enough to win the cup in Colorado.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Barron was literally 1st rounder from last year that made Canada's WJC team, he's not a warm body. You thinking of Travis Barron?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Barron was literally 1st rounder from last year that made Canada's WJC team, he's not a warm body. You thinking of Travis Barron?

Ah, yes. I'm not too familiar with Avs prospects outside of Newhook and Byram. Had to go looking and just went by last name. My bad.

Lol, I was like...the hell do the Ducks want with those two scrubs lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
None that are really close, ie. ready to play in the NHL next season.

So, it would be a big risk for Anaheim who could end up like Edm, Buf, Det, Cal (before this season), as a team looking for a goalie for a while. Really don't know about goalies until they hit the NHL level.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

The only one in the system that might be a starter is Dostal. He has looked good at every level (including the first 4 games in the AHL), but it's no guarantee he'll be an NHL starter, much less a high end #1. I do think he'll at least be a good backup goalie in the next couple years. But he's only 20, anything can happen from elite #1 to busting (trending toward being a good starter though).

Reactions: Czechboy

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Av fans don't want to go after Gibson

How about Gibson to the leafs

Pick 2 of

Amirov/Sandin/Robertson/Liljgren

Add a 2021 1st

And then Take Freddy Andersen back for cap purposes as a 1 year rental who maybe can be shipped out at the deadline

Reactions: Bust and Getz2noone

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Even if the Avs were desperate and in dire need of a goalie (which they're not at the moment) I wouldn't trade Byram for Gibson. Newhook yes, Byram no

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
EuUjd6HXMAA9CGI

Colorado is in a great spot and Grubauer is playing great right now. The last thing they need to do is spend a bunch of assets on the league's most volatile position.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Grubauer’s been a good goalie ever since he came to Colorado, so there’s no need for the Avs to do this.

I don’t really believe in parting with that many assets for a goalie either. You can usually get a solid goalie for a more reasonable cost.

Gibson to Edmonton, or Toronto probably makes more sense.

Reactions: Kurtz

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Grubauer has a .937SV% and a 1.61 GAA this season. There's no reason to empty the farm for Gibson. Fun fact, Grubauer has had at least a .915SV% every season he's played in the NHL He's underrated.

the really funny thing is that this same conversation about Grubauer keeps coming up with no change in most people's opinion whatsoever

Grubauer came into the 2018 playoffs playing like a house on fire (December .941sv%, January .933sv%, February .928 sv%, March .924 sv%) and popular consensus was the Avs needed to trade for a better goalie

He came into the 2019 playoffs even hotter (Jan .939%, Feb .955%, March .937%) and popular consensus was the Avs needed to trade for a better goalie

Thus far he's 5th in save%, 4th in GAA, tied for 3rd in shutouts, and popular consensus is that the Avs need to trade for a better goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad