Post-Game Talk: Getting a full spanking of Loilers tonight

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It is hard not to love ROR. They were down 6 or 7-2 and he was still working his ass off in the corner to get the puck in the offensive zone. He just doesn't quit.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
O'Reilly probably said, "pass me my towel, bud." To which Talbot thought O'Reilly called him "towel-butt," which made Roy come in and yell, "that's enough Talbut."

Just a classic misunderstanding. Roy doesn't help in the way he prounces players names. I won't be surprised if we see "The Hunwick" called up.

I've never laughed so hard on these boards :cry: :laugh:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Wishing Hejda a speedy recovery. Always sucks seeing someone get injured on some freak accident like that.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I've noticed that Duchene doesn't use ROR very much as well. I wonder if he still has some resentment towards ROR for the holdout, really need to get over it if thats true. Hopefully they come to play tomorrow and realize they can't take nights off like that.

Also, as much as I've thought they need to be patient with the defense, I actually think it's time to pull the trigger on something soon. Losing Hejda makes our defense horrible, so we really need to get some top 4 talent out there.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I know this can be considered revisionist history, but I don't understand why you would sit Sarich over Guenin. Sarich has been far more consistent and knows his limitations and plays within himself. Guenin was putrid tonight. Just awful. In a game where the whole team played like dump, some guys certainly stood out even more.

Which leads me to Parenteau...dude is even slower in person than on tv. I don't care if he scored, he was absolutely useless tonight. Can't receive a pass, can't make a pass, skates about 2mph on the ice and takes 2 penalties to top it off.

Having said that this was a total team loss, avs played stupid and were really undisciplined. Hopefully they learn from that and move on. But at least for one night they were exposed. Fortunately, I believe this team will right the ship. Had Varly been his usual self, he may have masked the issues tonight. But by getting spanked, hopefully everybody takes a hard look into the mirror.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've noticed that Duchene doesn't use ROR very much as well. I wonder if he still has some resentment towards ROR for the holdout, really need to get over it if thats true. Hopefully they come to play tomorrow and realize they can't take nights off like that.

Easy there, Dater. ;)

I don't think that's it at all. They worked well together early on and showed a lot of chemistry. They were very good at making short passes and finding each other around the net. I think Duchene is just trying to do too much right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Come on, Duchene has more sense than that, give him a little credit. He wants to win. If anything he wants to win so bad and tries to do it all himself. They've had good chemistry before and have passed to each other to set up some great goals.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know there are rumors of Kulikov floating around but I don't really think he's the guy we should be targeting. He's an offensive defenseman, not what we need at the moment or in the long-run. If the Avs are looking for serious help on the back end, I'd be looking at guys like Josh Gorges, Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Jared Cowen, Luke Schenn, or Brooks Orpik

Edit: One final point: No more Nathan MacKinnon on the wing, please. He is a center. His explosiveness comes from the middle of the ice. Please use him as a center

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I'm not trying to start anything, Duchene is my favorite player :laugh: just thinking out loud I guess, trying to figure out why he's going back to trying to beat everyone himself. I know things aren't clicking right now but he's gotta try to use his linemates better to succeed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know there are rumors of Kulikov floating around but I don't really think he's the guy we should be targeting. He's an offensive defenseman, not what we need at the moment or in the long-run. If the Avs are looking for serious help on the back end, I'd be looking at guys like Josh Gorges, Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Jared Cowen, Luke Schenn, or Brooks Orpik

Cowen and Schenn are a bigger mess than Kulikov right now.

From what I've seen (only 3 or 4 games), Kulikov makes a lot of mistakes. The highlight package usually doesn't do him any good either. But he's a good buy low candidate. If he turns it around, we have another top four defenseman. If he doesn't, he'll still probably be better than a few of the guys playing for us right now. It all just depends on what we have to give up to get him.

I also disagree about not needing an offensive defenseman. Our PP is a complete mess and we can't move the puck up the ice.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Duchene was a bit off but at the same time when he turned away from the defenders down low, his line mates were often standing still and being covered by defense. I think he is looking for them, but the line was a bit out of sync. Duchene has to be better and his line mates have to be better finding open ice. It shouldn't come as a surprise that Duchene makes the defender look foolish when he challenge them. Ference got exposed a bunch of times tonight, but nothing came of it.

Perhaps Roy will roll the line tombola tomorrow and come up with another combination. I wouldn't mind seeing Parenteau on the third line and McGinn with Stastny and Landeskog. PAP might help Talbot and Mitchell a bit with possession and they might help him with defense.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Roy really needs to change up the lines. They didn't work at all.
Maybe something around:

ROR-Mac-Talbot
Lando-Staz-McGinn
McLeod-Duchene-PAP
Cliche-Mitchell-Bordy

Benoit-Johnson
Holden-Sarich
Guenin-Barrie

And then trading for at least Klesla if we can get him for basically nothing to replace Holden/Guenin

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Cowen and Schenn are a bigger mess than Kulikov right now.

From what I've seen (only 3 or 4 games), Kulikov makes a lot of mistakes. The highlight package usually doesn't do him any good either. But he's a good buy low candidate. If he turns it around, we have another top four defenseman. If he doesn't, he'll still probably be better than a few of the guys playing for us right now. It all just depends on what we have to give up to get him.

I also disagree about not needing an offensive defenseman. Our PP is a complete mess and we can't move the puck up the ice.

For the future our need for a strong two way defenceman who leans more to the defensive side is a lot more important than an offensive defenceman.

Cowen may be a bit of a stretch at this point but Luke Schenn most certainly has been a better defenceman than Kulikov has since he arrived in Philadelphia. Plus he's as physical a defenceman you'll find in the NHL

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Was at the game tonight. Hard to judge the Avs on a game like this. Will be seeing them in Calgary and Winnipeg as well. But, what is worth noting was how poorly treated I was by Oilers fans today. No energy in the building and taking their frustration out on Avalanche fans. Very hostile folks. Some of them were even making some racist remarks. I feel sad for them. Their team sucks and they can't handle it. I can't blame them. How many times can you blow up something that has already been blown up?

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
This was just like every other game against the Oilers. The Avs play like ****, the Oilers score from every decent scoring chance and Dubnyk magically makes every Av shoot into the logo on his chest. Everything that could have gone wrong, did tonight.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
didn't watch the 3rd, did they just give up after the 2nd?
and seasons over with Hejda out.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Losing Hejda hurts. A lot. A lot of Oilers fans thought he was faking his injury too.

Did people seriously think he was faking an injury? :help:

It's not like he was hit or tripped or anything. He fell into the boards on his own. You can't draw a penalty for that, so why would he fake it?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Ugly game. Glad I retired after the first.

Easy to forget that the Avs are young and just coming out of their suck years. There's going to be nights like this. Hopefully not many, because ouch, but as long as they can pick up the pieces and move on it's all good. But as the season goes on I suspect we might see some more of these Avs. Cracks of inconsistency appearing, belying the team's weaknesses. With Hejda's injury looking as bad as it did those failings might be magnified. Even so, there's no reason to despair. This game should not be indicative of the Avs, at their worst or otherwise. We knew they wouldn't go 82-0, and we should know they aren't going to have the wheels fall off even if things get rough for them here and there along the way.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Did people seriously think he was faking an injury? :help:

It's not like he was hit or tripped or anything. He fell into the boards on his own. You can't draw a penalty for that, so why would he fake it?

Considering Perron looks like Hejda did every time anyone breathes near him, I can't really blame oilers fans for thinking that

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
What the hell just happened - was reading the alerts on my phone this morning as goal after goal came in in the 3rd. Did I hear correctly? Roy left Varly in?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Am I the only one that thinks Dallas Eakins was being a little classless by having RNH and Hall out there with 15 seconds left in a 7-2 win? I'm not like sour about it or anything, a loss is a loss, but that's kind of the impression I got seeing all of their stars out there at the end of a blowout, trying to score even more.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Am I the only one that thinks Dallas Eakins was being a little classless by having RNH and Hall out there with 15 seconds left in a 7-2 win? I'm not like sour about it or anything, a loss is a loss, but that's kind of the impression I got seeing all of their stars out there at the end of a blowout, trying to score even more.

I don't think it was classless. They've been having a rough season, and last night was one of a few bright spots. If a team can blow another one out of the water, I say go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad