Post-Game Talk: Getting a full spanking of Loilers tonight

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Am I the only one that thinks Dallas Eakins was being a little classless by having RNH and Hall out there with 15 seconds left in a 7-2 win? I'm not like sour about it or anything, a loss is a loss, but that's kind of the impression I got seeing all of their stars out there at the end of a blowout, trying to score even more.

No, but you should be. It's stupid to think putting your skilled players out in a blowout game is classless. It's a tactic he used to fire up his team. I would have no problem with Roy doing the same.

This game doesn't matter in the end, just like the STL blowouts. We'll rebound, be better for it and move on. Edmonton is to us like we are to Chicago. Frankly, we were better for the majority of the game and if we didn't give up such golden plays defensively we should have won. Hejda being out instead of playing his usual 24 minutes with EJ is probably the biggest factor for us.

Edmonton won't win many games like that, most teams will be better defensively than us and in the future so will we. For now we're still completing our rebuild and working on the defense. EJ & 4 bottom pairing defenders isn't going to win you many games against an offensive club like Edmonton, even if Varly stood on his head.

Kulleroinen*

Am I the only one that thinks Dallas Eakins was being a little classless by having RNH and Hall out there with 15 seconds left in a 7-2 win? I'm not like sour about it or anything, a loss is a loss, but that's kind of the impression I got seeing all of their stars out there at the end of a blowout, trying to score even more.

Yes, you are the only one.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I've noticed that Duchene doesn't use ROR very much as well. I wonder if he still has some resentment towards ROR for the holdout, really need to get over it if thats true. Hopefully they come to play tomorrow and realize they can't take nights off like that.

You do realize Duchene asked Sakic specifically to play with ROR, right?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Easy there, Dater. ;)

I don't think that's it at all. They worked well together early on and showed a lot of chemistry. They were very good at making short passes and finding each other around the net. I think Duchene is just trying to do too much right now.

He's trying the same move over and over again instead of using his linemates right now. I think it would be smarter to put McGinn on his wing and move O'Reilly back to center. If this means Avs have to trade Stastny, then trade him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree with everyone that Mackinnon is better as a centre, but he's also better on the top 2 lines.
he's been our best forward for like 5 of the last 7 games now and he shouldn't get rewarded by being put on the 3rd line to centre Talbot and Mitchell.
Leave the kid on the top 2 lines for now, even if he has to play the wing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He's trying the same move over and over again instead of using his linemates right now. I think it would be smarter to put McGinn on his wing and move O'Reilly back to center. If this means Avs have to trade Stastny, then trade him.

Yes, exactly. If there is one thing we learned from Stastny being out of the lineup, it is that this team really does not look like they need him much at all.

I'm really thinking Dutch had some early success taking over games this year, and is really trying to do that again, but is still learning what he needs to do during those times. He is trying to control too much right now, but I think that is part of his development. Even with ROR on the line, they are spending more time in the defensive zone than they should, and by the time they get out, they have used too much energy to sustain long term possession in the offensive zone.

Again, a great deal of the Avs struggles fall back to their weakness on defense. Smart moves need to be made, but not sure there are any to make right now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Stastny-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-MacKinnon-ROR

is what I wouldn't mind seeing. MacKinnon's future long term on this team is center. Same with Duchene. If the Avs want to keep Stastny, they may as well see what he can do on the wing. If Duchene, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny are all to be here long term, then Staz needs to join ROR in adapting to the wing. Not to say he can't play center anymore, but if on paper the Avs could comfortably write him in on the wing, then the team just got better.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Bender how would you feel if your wife decided to make love with your arch nemesis behind your back and when you found out, she said she would stop, but then again the next day you find both of them doing it on your Ferrari car? That is how I feel every time they beat us. :laugh:

But yes I am happy that their season is basically done (no chance they make the playoffs with the West) and any winning streak they go on will screw up their lottery chances.

I'd be like... Holy ****! I have a Ferrari?? :amazed:

I get what you're saying but you know that Franchise is going nowhere. Not with THAT management group. I mean Wil Acton isn't exactly the greatest prospect in the world yet (I actually only learned of his existence as he made the team this year) he had his spot on the team because his dad is assistant coach? Are you ****ing kidding me? There is no way you can do that sort of horse crap without having it affect the guys on your roster AND the guys on the farm team. It's a JOKE that they don't grasp this concept and only one factor that that these knobs aren't smart enough to put this team into a position to contend. They are playing better now but I fully expect them to go into another 'lull' at some point and that's when they'll make a horrible trade that sets them back a few years... I mean, isn't pretty much everyone anticipating this?

It's a bit of an unwritten rule but with the struggles they've had this year, it's understandable. As long as he doesn't ***** and moan if it happens to him, I don't have a problem with it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Varly and Western Canada just do not mix. Does anyone have a stat? I dont think Varly has ever won a game in Edmonton or Vancouver for that matter and his GAA must be north of 4.00

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Also want to say Barrie was brutal all night same with Guenin, Mitchell is as useless as a third nipple. The only goal I might blame Varly on was the 4th goal but Perron is so hot right now everything is going in for that mofo.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree with everyone that Mackinnon is better as a centre, but he's also better on the top 2 lines.
he's been our best forward for like 5 of the last 7 games now and he shouldn't get rewarded by being put on the 3rd line to centre Talbot and Mitchell.
Leave the kid on the top 2 lines for now, even if he has to play the wing.

MacKinnon's days on the third line are over. He might start the game there but he's not going to play a whole game there.

I had the game on mute most of the time, so missed if any of the Altiboobs commented on this. MacKinnon was taking McGinn's shifts in the third period while also playing on the Duchene line. I wondered if McGinn was hurt but he was out there at the end. Sorry if this was already noticed and discussed, just curious what was up with that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
MacKinnon's days on the third line are over. He might start the game there but he's not going to play a whole game there.

I had the game on mute most of the time, so missed if any of the Altiboobs commented on this. MacKinnon was taking McGinn's shifts in the third period while also playing on the Duchene line. I wondered if McGinn was hurt but he was out there at the end. Sorry if this was already noticed and discussed, just curious what was up with that.

I noticed that too!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm pretty sure that McGinn is the inaugural member of Roy's doghouse.... only half joking.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
quite a game for guenin.

pap has been the biggest disappointment this year. well ok, maybe barrie but maybe i had just too high expectations for him. and pap has much better track record.

he can be better than this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully Tanguay returns soon. I don't think we should be looking into trading Stastny at all, I still see him as a vital piece of this team moving forward. When Tangs is back I'd like to try these lines:

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
O'Reilly-MacKinnon-Landeskog
Talbot-Stastny-Tanguay
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Mitchell can take a seat in the press box. He's been useless out there lately, and is a power play killer

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
When comparing TOI/G and GF/GA in the league, Erik Johnson is among the highest performers this year. 23 GF, 9 GA in 470 minutes of ice time at even strength. He has been a literal tank.

Bordeleau also continues the undefeated streak at 156 minutes of ice time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
When comparing TOI/G and GF/GA in the league, Erik Johnson is among the highest performers this year. 23 GF, 9 GA in 470 minutes of ice time at even strength. He has been a literal tank.

Bordeleau also continues the undefeated streak at 156 minutes of ice time.

Bordy to replace Hejda? :laugh:

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Oilers fan coming in peace...

Just wanted to say that you guys obviously have the better team, the Oil just have outbursts like this once in a while before going dead in the water for a long stretch.

On a closing note, I legitimately hope Hejda is ok and doesn't miss any significant time.

Cheers

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
colorado still has yet to win a game after being down 2-0. I hate trends and that trend has to be broken some time. I just hate seeing the 2nd goal and thinking "welp, its over".

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I guess I'll turn in my man card now and admit that I watched the "Sound of Music" with my mom instead of most of the Avs' game. Glad I didn't watch it, though. I hope Hejda's all right, man. He is such an integral part of the team right now. We have to beat the Flames now.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I guess I'll turn in my man card now and admit that I watched the "Sound of Music" with my mom instead of most of the Avs' game. Glad I didn't watch it, though. I hope Hejda's all right, man. He is such an integral part of the team right now. We have to beat the Flames now.

We have a chance if Giggy plays. Honestly Varly should never play another game in Edmonton ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad