Post-Game Talk: Getting a full spanking of Loilers tonight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Guenin fanning on the pass attempt, falling on his face, and crawling to get to a puck that was two feet away from him was probably the most embarrassing sequence tonight. It was right in front of Varly too. :laugh:

He's nothing special but he's definitely better than he was tonight. Everything that could go wrong went wrong for Guenin tonight.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Guenin fanning on the pass attempt, falling on his face, and crawling to get to a puck that was two feet away from him was probably the most embarrassing sequence tonight. It was right in front of Varly too. :laugh:

He's nothing special but he's definitely better than he was tonight. Everything that could go wrong went wrong for Guenin tonight.

Holden's family put a curse on him so Nick can get more games going forward.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

LMAO. Which time? There is fighting the puck, and then there is losing the fight to the puck. Guenin got KO'd by that rubber disk tonight. Also, someone needs to gif that. hahaha.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
If EJ and Benoit are our top pair they need to play 60 minutes. Those other morons shouldn't even gear up. Sign the actor that played Fulton Reid and Averman, those guys can play. Actually, I am normally a center, but I'll bring my gear to the rink. May as well give it a shot.

I'll bring my skates too. We can use the flying V.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wish we could emergency call up Bigras for a couple games. Just to give him a couple game taste and get the Avs another LD for a bit.

No kidding. I thought the same thing. Too bad he couldn't have been in the AHL, it would be his name called.

Speaking of, so does Roy call someone up or roll with 6D until Wilson is declared fit to return? I'd like to see Elliott get a shot since they need to figure out what they want to do with him anyway. But Hunwick had a fantastic shorthanded GWG for the Monsters tonight, I'm afraid it is him next in line. And while I'm on the subject, it is Elliott and Hunwick who are completely holding the defense together down in Lake Erie, let that sink in for a moment.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I hope somebody has a talk with Duchene tonight. He didn't use his linemates at all and there's no excuse for that. We're shorthanded as it is and Duchene completely took O'Reilly and MacKinnon out of the game.

This. Duchene is my second favourite player to Landeskog, but this has been somewhat of a problem all season. Before though, Duchene was racking up a PPG and it was less noticeable but Duchene really needs to quit being the one man show. Really not trying to overreact after this loss but having O'Reilly with Duchene has not worked that well minus the first few games in my opinion. I'd try when healthy (apologies in advance if my wings are off)..

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
O'Reilly-Stastny-Landeskog
Tanguay-Mackinnon-Talbot

I know we're winning and tend to overreact with a loss but I could see this potentially working.

member 116861

No kidding. I thought the same thing. Too bad he couldn't have been in the AHL, it would be his name called.

Speaking of, so does Roy call someone up or roll with 6D until Wilson is declared fit to return? I'd like to see Elliott get a shot since they need to figure out what they want to do with him anyway. But Hunwick had a fantastic shorthanded GWG for the Monsters tonight, I'm afraid it is him next in line. And while I'm on the subject, it is Elliott and Hunwick who are completely holding the defense together down in Lake Erie, let that sink in for a moment.

Is that surprising though? There isn't much depth in Lake Erie and Hunny and Elliott should be dominating the AHL. Hunny is still a borderline NHL player and Elliott will become a NHL regular.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on tonight's crapfest-of-a-game:

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Few observations since this is my first live game since the 2011-2012 season, full two years and lots has changed and it's easier to evaluate talent live. Forgive me if this seems like an overreaction, just my thoughts live:

- Nate Guenin. WOW. Without a shadow of a doubt the worst game by any Avalanche defenseman this season in my eyes. Couldn't handle the puck. Couldn't clear the puck. Caught out of position. Beat to the puck. Muscled off the puck. Here's to hoping Hejda can actually play tomorrow and Sarich checks in for Guenin, because he needs a seat after that stinker

- 5 on 3 powerplay. I'm not exactly sure what they were trying to accomplish but it seems to me the 5 on 3 is set up for Parenteau to finish things off, which I don't understand at all. He's more of a playmaker in my eyes, so I don't see why they tailor it to him, especially with guys like Duchene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly out there

- Varlamov. Every goaltender is bound to have a stinker but we all need to give him a break. He was absolutely hung out to fend for himself tonight with all the A+ scoring chances the Oilers got. I haven't seen this club play this bad in front of their goaltender since Craig Anderson was here

- Duchene. I hate to say it but he is frustrating me so much lately. He's getting back into his stupid old habits of stick handling the puck too much, trying fancy spin moves, and not using his linemates. Not sure if anyone else realizes this but he doesn't seem to use O'Reilly AT ALL when they're in the offensive zone with possession unless he is in trouble and O'Reilly comes over for support. That has got to change, and change quickly

- Discipline. Speaks for itself with the amount of penalties the Avalanche took

- Entire third line of McGinn, Mitchell and Talbot was invisible tonight. Didn't establish anything in the offensive zone, no forecheck at all and no throwing their weight around like they should be

- Lastly, Tyson Barrie. He is outstanding at rushing the puck up the ice on his own, but when it comes to actually making that first pass out of the zone for a break out, he looks lost out there. I counted a couple times when the Avalanche were breaking out, and he had no idea what to do with the puck so he would put it in an open area because he was lost. I hope it's a one game thing and not a common feature of his game

Here's to hoping this is one and done for the boys. Excuse my rant but, as I said, it's my first live game in two years and I was fairly excited. Now I'm angry at this team. Should see a bounce back game tomorrow

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I just remembered that Camalleri plays the right wing, usually against Hejda. He is going to score 5 goals tomorrow.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I don't see any difference in what Duchene is doing now, compared to the start of the season. Most of his offense came off the rush to start the season. Or those down low plays, he is trying to lose coverage and pass it someone who is open that gets lost in coverage.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

LMAO. Which time? There is fighting the puck, and then there is losing the fight to the puck. Guenin got KO'd by that rubber disk tonight. Also, someone needs to gif that. hahaha.

That was awful, but ROR did him no favors by continuing to skate towards the blueline while Guenin fell. Guenin did play one of his worst games, but the whole team seemed like they were out of sync.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I loved it when O'Reilly was against the boards against 3 other players and the rest of the team was making a line change then duchene decides not to come off and join in, but it was too late. If he joined in earlier maybe they make something happen. O'Reilly is a warrior. We could use one or two more solid two way forwards like him.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Sarich > Those three
Guenin > Those three

Holden = Those three

Your funny...in a 8-2 game Holden has a goal and is 0 in +/- and Guenin is -4 and I swear plays with a NERF stick. I have never seen anyone in a NHL game with weaker clearing attempts and giveaways!

member 116861

My 2 favourite players in an argument. Are you sure Johnny Malkin and PAP didn't have an argument either?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad