German football 2020/21

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Not sure if I'd prefer to see Schalke go down fighting or like this, but damn this is sad.

Interesting tidbit there is that if they had come up with the ESL 5-6 years ago, Schalke may well have been a feasible candidate. They were 14th in the Forbes list of most valuable clubs in the world in 2015. Goes to show you how quickly things can change in an open competition.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
That shouldn't have been a penalty for Dortmund. Hazard dived before contact. But Union Berlin players messed the clearance after keeper made two saves.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
After Schalke got relegated, someone had the smart idea of organizing a night-time meeting with Schalke ultras once the team returned to Gelsenkirchen. Police were present but instructed to keep a low profile and not prevent the fans from meeting with the team.

Well, what ended up happening was that surprisingly the ultras did not have constructive criticism about tactics and approach, but instead verbally abused the players and staff before attacking them with eggs and pyrotechnics and finally their fists and feet. The team had to beat a hasty retreat. Who could have foreseen ultras reacting like that mere hours after their humiliation was completed in the culmination of their perhaps worst ever season?

To add insult to injury...it's been said that Dortmund fans had organized fireworks around the area to provide a celebratory framework to Schalke's relegation.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Cologne winning today sets them up with a fighting chance. They have 3 games left - Freiburg, Hertha and Schalke. Win those and they're quite likely at least in the playoff spot. Hertha have 6 games left, but if Cologne would win those (incl. vs Hertha) they'd need 12 points out of 5 matches which is not the most likely scenario even with the relatively beatable opposition Hertha faces in those games. Hertha v Cologne on May 15th may well end up being the decider.

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Köln hold on to their dear lives to claim an away victory over Augsburg. Beautiful goals by Duda. Hertha has games in hand, so Köln are still in big trouble but they do face Hertha later on.

It would have been so much better to win against Mainz rather than against Leipzig.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I haven't been impressed with Hertha's play and they are going to have something like 4 or 5 matches over a 12 day period. I think they're up against it if they stumble in any of the first couple. Would be pretty funny for Bobic to move from Frankfurt into a Bundesliga 2 club, though they'd be in a better spot to bounce back than Schalke, I think.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The relegation zone getting narrower with Mainz as good as out of it now. Bremen very much in again though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dortmund should be targeting Wolfsburg at this point. Frankfurt has too easy a schedule, ya it’s against relegation battle teams and they’re gonna fight for their life (it’s only Mainz) but if Frankfurt win today I don’t see them dropping too many points on their final 3 games.

Wolfsburg in the other hand have red bull and union to deal with. They pretty much have to win out because they have to assume dortmund will.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So does Andre Silva not score against the good teams or is it just me?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the fact that Bayern have looked pretty damn mortal during Lewandowski's absence works very much to defeat the argument that Lewandowski's numbers are just a product of playing for a super-dominant team. They were a super-dominant team because Lewandowski helped make them so. Dude is a true great of the sport.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think the fact that Bayern have looked pretty damn mortal during Lewandowski's absence works very much to defeat the argument that Lewandowski's numbers are just a product of playing for a super-dominant team. They were a super-dominant team because Lewandowski helped make them so. Dude is a true great of the sport.
Yeah, well the fact Choupo scored a goal a game certainly disaproves that point. And they lost yesterday with him. :dunno:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, well the fact Choupo scored a goal a game certainly disaproves that point. And they lost yesterday with him. :dunno:

I suspected that someone would mention that in response. And obviously everyone profits from having excellent teammates. But the drop-off between Lewandowski and Choupo is pretty obvious and pretty massive. Lewandowski has been scoring at a 47 goal pace.

And if we look at the rest of this Bayern team - yes it's obviously much better than any other squad in the Bundesliga and still better than most in Europe - but I'd say as far as Bayern squads go it's not out of this world dominant. They've looked beatable all year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No question there's a drop off.
But Choupo sucks. He never scored at any decent clip. Except now, starting for Bayern. So clearly, the numbers are inflated by just being Bayern's 9th.
And yes they are beatable because teams have realized that if you can beat their first pressing, their D and midfield is so weak that you can beat them deep.
Now of course, it takes some quality to beat that press. Which is why Bayern is still a top 3 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad