German football 2020/21

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
The Bundesliga season begins the weekend of September 18th, as currently scheduled.

Now, from something I read within the last week on Deutsche Welle, mass gatherings in Germany are still prohibited until the end of October, as things currently stand. Now, it's worth noting that there hasn't been a day with over 1,000 positive COVID tests in the country since May 9. In recent weeks, the numbers are pretty static between 300-500 daily, which, from my untrained and somewhat unfocus perspective, doesn't really seem like a whole lot (sure as hell isn't a lot compared to 50,000-60,000 in the United States...motherf-cking hell; if Germany were in proportion to the US, they would have about ~12,500 positive daily tests, just to give an idea, and that's a country of 83 million that is the size of Montana). So what I guess I'm wondering is how close we might be getting to a return to fans in stadiums in Germany. I'll trust our German friends here to have a better understanding of this, of course, but it seems we're on a promising path, no?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The government of Saxony has already indicated that RB Leipzig can admit some spectators next season. What the deal will be remains to be seen, but as these matters are up to local authorities to decide, the best the league could do is to promote a particular concept that could gain wider acceptance.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I would be surprised if they allowed spectators again. Even at daily cases in the hundreds, you still clearly got the virus in circulation, so football games with several thousand people would have a high potential to be 'super spreader' events. And even if you allow in only 20% of capacity..it's not like those 10,000 people will socially distance necessarily. Ultras are going to ultra.

I think the only place with sports with spectators back fully is NZ because they have like no active community spread at all. I don't see how that would be achieved even in Germany though without a vaccine. Germany unlike NZ has open borders and no mechanism to catch cases at them, so new cases will keep coming into the country.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
He would still find a Bundesliga job without a problem if he accepted a much lower salary.
No, I don't think so. He failed at Dortmund, he failed in England, even at Lok he wasn't good enough to sign him. Who in Germany would sign him? Leverkusen, Gladbach, Schalke or WOB? No,they won't. Mid-table teams don't have the money.
Neither Schürrle nor Götze or players like Sahin will get a job in Bundesliga.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As you indicate that's only a money problem, he'd have a contract with Mainz tomorrow if he accepted what their current players are getting.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Schurrle had about one significant injury per season over the last 5-6 years. There's a decent chance his body is simply not cooperating anymore at the level he wants it to, and to then find the motivation to re-define your game and find a new niche for yourself at a lower level...not something everyone can pull off. Dude has seen the very top of football, so who knows if the struggle just to be an OK player is worth it for him.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
As you indicate that's only a money problem, he'd have a contract with Mainz tomorrow if he accepted what their current players are getting.
Of course, if he wants to play Bundesliga, he can sign with Bielefeld for 500.000. Or Hertha for 750000. but I doubt that's gonna happen.
He just got paid 2,3 million NOT to play.
I don't think he will ever play for a (half)important team in Europe again.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you needed to be reminded of why everyone ought to hate Bayern...Bayern's chairman suggested their reserve team should be allowed to be promoted to the 2.Liga.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If you needed to be reminded of why everyone ought to hate Bayern...Bayern's chairman suggested their reserve team should be allowed to be promoted to the 2.Liga.

They shouldn't, but to be fair it's not FC Bayern that is failing there. Still, perhaps the reserves that play higher than in the Regionalliga should be limited only to U21 players. FC Bayern II won the 3. Liga only because they employed a 26-year-old goal machine that had absolutely zero chance of making the first team (I know he was rewarded with a few minutes at the end of the season). I don't think the purpose of reserve teams can be to emulate independent clubs and hire competent players for that particular level.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

39b2eb5758be30054a583f9feaf1f139.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They shouldn't, but to be fair it's not FC Bayern that is failing there. Still, perhaps the reserves that play higher than in the Regionalliga should be limited only to U21 players. FC Bayern II won the 3. Liga only because they employed a 26-year-old goal machine that had absolutely zero chance of making the first team (I know he was rewarded with a few minutes at the end of the season). I don't think the purpose of reserve teams can be to emulate independent clubs and hire competent players for that particular level.

I personally think that they should follow the English model and have a reserve league, and keep the reserve teams out of the real leagues where clubs are trying to accomplish something. In the 3.Liga you have teams drawing 15k-20k fans, teams that are planning to go back to the BuLi within a few years...teams that make the league more interesting for people...and then you got reserve teams that don't add anything. It's not even like you get to see the greatest prospects with Bayern II, it's mostly 2nd tier prospects and guys they signed specifically to play for the reserves.

Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad