German football 2020/21

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It was also the flag of the Republic of China i.e. the predecessor state of the communist PRC, so needless to say it touches a lot of raw nerves in Beijing. I guess we can file this under 'when pandering goes wrong'.

Reactions: The Electrician

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I know this is a bit like in the past pointing out Duke is losing in the tournament in the 3rd quarter only to then see them inevitably come back to win, but Bayern are down 1-3 to Bielefeld.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And of course Bayern stormed back to make it 3-3, but contrary to expectation the game did not end a 9-3 victory for Bayern but stayed at 3-3. A deserved point for Arminia.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
If Bayern don't win, that's always good news. And BVB gets a Rose. It remains to be seen whether that will be a beautiful or withered one. ;)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Bayern don't win, that's always good news. And BVB gets a Rose. It remains to be seen whether that will be a beautiful or withered one. ;)
Will be an upgrade over Terzic, even if poor Marco is walking into a no-win scenario.

At least the pay will be good.

Reactions: Lambo

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So we finally have that decision on Rose and Eberl will need to find a replacement.
Though, the rumor has it that Gerardo Seoanne of YB Bern will be the new coach and I wouldn't mind that.

It's going to be quite some change this summer for us anyways given that we're about to lose 2 - 5 important players according to Eberl.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Something to consider.

Lewandowski is 32, Mueller is 31, Neuer is 34. None of them may be at the end of their careers yet, but Bayern is going to have to replace these guys in the next 2-3 years. There are rarely any players who can play effectively at the top level of football into their late 30's. Most likely these three won't. And if Bayern tries to let them, they'll probably suffer on the field.

They don't want to renew the 28 year old Alaba, and they won't renew the 32 year old Boateng. The club is aware that they are going to have to phase out the late 20's/early 30's generation in the next few years. Bayern is going to have some tricky situations to navigate. They do have the finances to replace these players, but even if they can find suitable replacements, it's not going to be easy to replace three of their best players ever.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
We said the same when they had to replace Robben and Ribery.

In one of those seasons Dortmund was 9 points in front. So it had to do more with the weakness of the other teams, that Bayern still won the league.
I know Zorc is seen very good here. I think some of the transfers were very questionable. For example i didnt like all those return actions (Götze/Kagawa/Sahin...). None of them worked.
Or that Schürrle was not a Dortmund quality player obviously at the time. Especially for over 30 Mio. €. All those desicions have Dortmund thrown back.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Replaced with Gnabry, Sane, and Coman. Not the same quality. They withstood it because of those other players I named. What happens when the next three need to be replaced?
Then they'll buy Haaland/Moukoko and Havertz/Witz, or some other elite youths. The same way they bought Sanabry & Upamecano to replace Robbery & Boateng.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Then they'll buy Haaland/Moukoko and Havertz/Witz, or some other elite youths. The same way they bought Sanabry & Upamecano to replace Robbery & Boateng.

They won’t be buying anyone from Dortmund.

I’m sure they’ll buy good players. I didn’t say otherwise. It’s hard though to replace legends. It’s more than just their level of play in a vacuum that you are replacing.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It may well affect them in terms of their ability of winning the CL, but it's questionable that it will affect their ability to win the Bundesliga. All their competitors have to constantly replenish their teams as well except they're not losing their legends to retirement at 35 they're losing them after 1-2 good seasons at 23/24.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They won’t be buying anyone from Dortmund.

I’m sure they’ll buy good players. I didn’t say otherwise. It’s hard though to replace legends. It’s more than just their level of play in a vacuum that you are replacing.

It's easier to replace legends when those replacements are joining new legends. Bayern is loaded with prime-age talent already like Gnabry, Sane, Coman, Kimmich, LeGo, Tolisso/Zakaria, Upamecano, Sule, Davis, Hernandez, Pavard...and their academy is pumping out talent like they haven't done since the Kroos, Muller & Hummels generation.

Lewa will slow down someday and Bayern will replace him too. They're just too rich & their scouting department is too good, to bank on them slipping up.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's easier to replace legends when those replacements are joining new legends. Bayern is loaded with prime-age talent already like Gnabry, Sane, Coman, Kimmich, LeGo, Tolisso/Zakaria, Upamecano, Sule, Davis, Hernandez, Pavard...and their academy is pumping out talent like they haven't done since the Kroos, Muller & Hummels generation.

Lewa will slow down someday and Bayern will replace him too. They're just too rich & their scouting department is too good, to bank on them slipping up.

Kimmich, okay sure.

Maybe on Goretzka, Upa, and Davies.

I’m not sure guys like Gnabry, Coman, Sule, Hernandez, Pavard have that type of potential. I don’t see these guys as potential top 5 players at their positions in the world at their best. All those legends from the past generation were that.

I’m not suggesting that’s not a very good team, but it might not be as good as the prior generation that destroyed the Bundesliga and won a few Champions Leagues.

Replacing the past generation with very good players is not hard. It only requires a moderate amount of money and not completely botching the scouting of these players. Replacing them with stars requires a team to either spend hundreds of millions of dollars or to have a scouting run like Liverpool had with buying players. I’m not convinced Bayern will definitely satisfy either of those categories. I’m sure they’ll have a good team, but I could see a slight step back from being a clear top 2-3 team in Europe the past ten years. They may merely become top 5-6.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Upamecano hasnt convinced me since a longer time. Not sure if he will be the one who brings stability into the Bayern D.

Me neither. I like his potential, but he’s still very mistake prone, in my opinion. High risk/high reward type of CB. He’s what David Luiz was supposed to be. I’m not sure though that he’s the leader of the defense for one of the best teams in Europe. He has time to improve obviously though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So apparently, Maxence Lacroix is getting some great reviews.
His team has gone to 7 straight clean sheets and he has played well according to reports I've seen.

Any truth to that?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So apparently, Maxence Lacroix is getting some great reviews.
His team has gone to 7 straight clean sheets and he has played well according to reports I've seen.

Any truth to that?

Wolfsburg are a very tough defensive team and the Lacroix-Brooks pairing has been very solid behind their anvil of a midfield. With Lacroix's speed complementing Brooks very well. Not much on the ball though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad