German football 2020/21

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Essen was almost dead. Thanks to help from the city, they were able to survive and have now regained their strength. Now RWE has the most spectators in the RL and maintains a fan friendship with BVB and Werder. That's why RWE fans like to go to BVB games.

The BVB one pretty much expired after Dortmund sent several first team players for their U23 match against Essen a couple of years ago. Kagawa had 5 assists in that game, Isak scored a hat trick in less than 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
The BVB one pretty much expired after Dortmund sent several first team players for their U23 match against Essen a couple of years ago. Kagawa had 5 assists in that game, Isak scored a hat trick in less than 30 minutes.
Yes but it is a littla bit confuse situation. the common enemy is S04. Since 2018 i ve spoken with some RWE and BVB Fans. They are still together vs S04. some Fans said they are friends and other said the contrary. But Nevertheless Essen ha a huge potential(Fans, City, Tradition).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well when I started watching BuLi football they were in the 2.Liga, so it's all returning to normal ;).

Honestly, by now all of the original founding BuLi teams have been relegated at least once. And of the ones that came in later but have been in the league for over 20 seasons only Bayern (in the league since the mid 60s), Leverkusen (came up in the late 70s) and Wolfsburg (came up in the late 90s) have not been relegated. So really the only true security comes from being Bayern or having a corporate mega sponsor.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Good old times when more teams were competitive. In my opinion CL and investor leaded clubs are bad for the game.
You can earn to much money nowdays in the CL . That destoys the competition.
A Cinderella story like Lautern wins the league isnt possible anymore. Or Bayern out of Top 6.
Miss these surprises. Its to predictable nowdays.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot has changed in the society too, places like Gelsenkirchen and Kaiserslautern are dying also off the pitch. Some of the problems in football are ultimately just symptoms of much larger developments in Germany.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I see that as a legit reason for Lautern. That area has always depended on U.S. military investment, and it's a small city in a mostly rural region.

But for Schalke? Nah. The entire Ruhrpott has gone through a ton of crap for decades now as they killed off the coal mines and all the industries around that, but that hasn't stopped Schalke and Dortmund from becoming the 2nd and 3rd club in Germany in terms of support and for a time also in terms of success. That club has just always been a bit of a disaster waiting to happen in terms of the club leadership.

But there's also a simple truth here that applies to pretty much every club in the league other than Bayern or the clubs with a safety net in the form of a billion dollar corporate sugar daddy..if you have to keep selling all your best players you may eventually end up in a situation where all the replacements you buy aren't nearly as good as the players they were meant to replace. It doesn't take much, 3-4 bad transfers and your team could be bound for the nether regions of the table.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I see that as a legit reason for Lautern. That area has always depended on U.S. military investment, and it's a small city in a mostly rural region.

But for Schalke? Nah. The entire Ruhrpott has gone through a ton of crap for decades now as they killed off the coal mines and all the industries around that, but that hasn't stopped Schalke and Dortmund from becoming the 2nd and 3rd club in Germany in terms of support and for a time also in terms of success. That club has just always been a bit of a disaster waiting to happen in terms of the club leadership.

But there's also a simple truth here that applies to pretty much every club in the league other than Bayern or the clubs with a safety net in the form of a billion dollar corporate sugar daddy..if you have to keep selling all your best players you may eventually end up in a situation where all the replacements you buy aren't nearly as good as the players they were meant to replace. It doesn't take much, 3-4 bad transfers and your team could be bound for the nether regions of the table.

I mean sure the whole region has issues, but Dortmund is twice the size and has lost half the people Gelsenkirchen has. In the Zukunftsatlas GE is ranked behind effing Cottbus. Schalke's hope is mostly in appealing to a wider base, they're fairly popular even in Belgium so just have to keep building on that if they want to stay relevant. In Stuttgart or Frankfurt the conditions to emulate FC Bayern in many ways are there, but the clubs just fail to make the most of the resources they sit on.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I mean sure the whole region has issues, but Dortmund is twice the size and has lost half the people Gelsenkirchen has. In the Zukunftsatlas GE is ranked behind effing Cottbus. Schalke's hope is mostly in appealing to a wider base, they're fairly popular even in Belgium so just have to keep building on that if they want to stay relevant. In Stuttgart or Frankfurt the conditions to emulate FC Bayern in many ways are there, but the clubs just fail to make the most of the resources they sit on.

GE has been in the dumps for as long as I've been alive. They built a new stadium, won the UEFA Cup, got to the CL semifinal..all while the city of Gelsenkirchen was rotting away around them. As you yourself say Schalke's fanbase isn't just in the city, it's all over the Pott and even in areas beyond. Dortmund/Schalke there is kinda like Leafs/Habs was traditionally in Canada.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One by one clubs of the region have vanished from top-level football, I think the danger of it getting worse still is very real. It's not so long ago that there were four Ruhr clubs in the 1. Bundesliga, today the three highest tiers don't have more than that combined. Of course Schalke will be popular even in the Regionalliga, but it's not guaranteed that there would be a way back up again.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
One by one clubs of the region have vanished from top-level football, I think the danger of it getting worse still is very real. It's not so long ago that there were four Ruhr clubs in the 1. Bundesliga, today the three highest tiers don't have more than that combined. Of course Schalke will be popular even in the Regionalliga, but it's not guaranteed that there would be a way back up again.

I wonder how much of that isn't down to the fact that Dortmund and Schalke have become so big commercially that it hurt Duisburg, Bochum, Essen etc. a lot.

But, what we've been seeing a lot all over the country over the last 20 years or so is the decline of the traditionally popular clubs with sizable membership bases and old school organizational setups vs the ascendancy of clubs from small and mid sized cities with relatively few fans but solid financial backing from corporate interests which are given relatively free reign in terms of how they want to run the club. That is of course also a reflection of how a lot of the economic power has shifted from the larger industrial cities to smaller cities especially in B-W and Bayern, but also simply a reflection of the fact that the traditional football club setup rarely leads to competent management.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Bayern signed Unpamecano(42,5 Mill Euro). Half of France in Munich now. ;). Very good transfer. But it show the Bundesliga is the farm league for Bayern. Eternal champion!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bayern signed Unpamecano(42,5 Mill Euro). Half of France in Munich now. ;). Very good transfer. But it show the Bundesliga is the farm league for Bayern. Eternal champion!

At least they aren't as bad about pilfering other BuLi clubs as Dortmund is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->