German football 2020/21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gladbach look a lot better today, but the result looks like it'll be even worse. These past couple of weeks have really been a disappointment after the form they started the new year in. Unfortunately, there's still a couple of english weeks left before things calm down for them...and that only if they go out to BVB & City, as it looks like they will.

Lazy journalists are probably going to attribute this to Rose's departure getting announced, when it's really just money & gladbach not having enough of it to sustain the kind of depth that is required to compete on 3 fronts at the highest level.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Gladbach look a lot better today, but the result looks like it'll be even worse. These past couple of weeks have really been a disappointment after the form they started the new year in. Unfortunately, there's still a couple of english weeks left before things calm down for them...and that only if they go out to BVB & City, as it looks like they will.

Lazy journalists are probably going to attribute this to Rose's departure getting announced, when it's really just money & gladbach not having enough of it to sustain the kind of depth that is required to compete on 3 fronts at the highest level.

I don't know if I buy all of that. They haven't even played any CL games in over 2 months and just one Cup tie. They beat Bayern and Dortmund and collected 10 points in a two week stretch in January..but since then have collected 2 points out of 4 matches since then...matches against Union, Köln, Wolfsburg and Mainz. Call it 'lazy', but wasn't it just after that Dortmund game that the rumors of Dortmund's interest in him really took off?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know if I buy all of that. They haven't even played any CL games in over 2 months and just one Cup tie. They beat Bayern and Dortmund and collected 10 points in a two week stretch in January..but since then have collected 2 points out of 4 matches since then...matches against Union, Köln, Wolfsburg and Mainz. Call it 'lazy', but wasn't it just after that Dortmund game that the rumors of Dortmund's interest in him really took off?

They've still played 10 matches in the past month & a half :dunno:

The Dortmund rumors have been swirling since the rumors of Favre being let go started, they still looked really good against us & Stuttgart. I missed the derby with Koln, but these past two weeks looked exactly like their slump before the break did...when they were running on fumes until they got a chance to rest & came back firing on all cylinders.

Not saying Rose's not a factor, but the correlation between their form and how much more than once a week they play is too strong to ignore.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They've still played 10 matches in the past month & a half :dunno:

The Dortmund rumors have been swirling since the rumors of Favre being let go started, they still looked really good against us & Stuttgart. I missed the derby with Koln, but these past two weeks looked exactly like their slump before the break did...when they were running on fumes until they got a chance to rest & came back firing on all cylinders.

Not saying Rose's not a factor, but the correlation between their form and how much more than once a week they play is too strong to ignore.

Every team in the league is playing that schedule though. Wolfsburg, too, have played 10 matches in the same time, Frankfurt as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Every team in the league is playing that schedule though. Wolfsburg, too, have played 10 matches in the same time, Frankfurt as well.
Never said that other clubs weren't dealing with the same schedule, just that gladbach's slumps can be clearly connected to their schedule cramming up.

They are poorer than the Wolfsburg's & Leverkusen's of the world, nevermind the Dortmund's & Bayern's, so they haven't been able to afford the same kind of depth. Which makes that drain that everyone is dealing with, more impactful to them than the rich kids.

...on top of them having played the most draining schedule that any german club faced in the hinrunde; Leipzig being the only ones who can claim to have overcome as tough of a schedule.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Haaland awesome, monster!
The Dortmunders should chain him up if necessary. ;)

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Wolfsburg are a very tough defensive team and the Lacroix-Brooks pairing has been very solid behind their anvil of a midfield. With Lacroix's speed complementing Brooks very well. Not much on the ball though.

Yeah, I've watched about half of those Wolfsburg games. You don't really notice Lacroix, which is good for a (defensive) CB. Does his job well, and like you said his speed is a good asset. I remember seeing a stat in some games he had the highest burst of speed. On the whole Wolfsburg isn't really an exciting team to watch for neutrals, though.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I've watched about half of those Wolfsburg games. You don't really notice Lacroix, which is good for a (defensive) CB. Does his job well, and like you said his speed is a good asset. I remember seeing a stat in some games he had the highest burst of speed. On the whole Wolfsburg isn't really an exciting team to watch for neutrals, though.

Talk about an understatement :laugh:

I watch them sometimes to check in on Baku, but they are just brutal on the eyes.

Reactions: gary69

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wolfsburg are a very tough defensive team and the Lacroix-Brooks pairing has been very solid behind their anvil of a midfield. With Lacroix's speed complementing Brooks very well. Not much on the ball though.

They are such a boring team to watch, but they are good.

Has Bayern been crowned too prematurely? It seems like everyone just handed them the league when Leipzig is five back with a game in hand. Seems nowhere near finished yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know it's a fun game for neutrals to watch, but the Revierderby is not a positive for Dortmund's sporting success in any isolated season. Having these types of rivalry games where form doesn't matter and anyone can beat anyone does not benefit Dortmund. Dortmund is the better team, and having two games next year against a similarly terrible team that probably will provide less of a challenge against Dortmund is a bonus. In the long term, the rivalry is needed for German football, but Dortmund will probably benefit next season without having to play two games against Schalke.

On the other hand, Dortmund has won the last three against Schalke by a combined score of 14-0, and tends to struggle a lot with some of the worst teams in the league, so maybe not.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
In the long term, the rivalry is needed for German football, but Dortmund will probably benefit next season without having to play two games against Schalke.

Financially it would help Dortmund alot. Northrhine-Westphalia has the highest population in Germany. Ofcouse the most Bundesliga teams too. Till now both teams have a similar big fanbase.
This will change if Schalke is far away from Dortmunds level. I already heared from the area that you dont see much kids with Schalke jerseys anymore. Sponsoring deals will be in Dortmunds favour too. But still Dormund and all other clubs in the area have much more competition as Bayern.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haaland who?

Sancho had 20G+20A last season. He's at 11G+17A this season so far. Thats 27G+A, and he's done that in 30 games. Last season he had 40 G+A in 44 games. Dortmund is guaranteed 43 games this season, and if they advance in the UCL and/or Cup, they will play more than 43. Sancho needs to stay fit and score/assist at the same rate as he has all season and he'll reach the same season he had last season.

Last season, he started great and trailed off at the end. No one, except Dortmund fans, noticed that. It was a narrative that he had a great season. It didn't matter that he was streaky. This season, he's been as good, but the narrative has turned his season worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad