German football 2019/2020

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
FC Bayern has built up an unachievable lead. It is comparable to trying to set up and build a beer brewery in Germany. Who are you competing with? With Krombacher, Warsteiner, Veltins etc. You have no chance. Unless you are a billionaire or you have a multi-million dollar investor behind you who finances everything(Than you ve al little chance). In the Bundesliga there is the 50 + 1 rule. And you don't have a chance vs Bayern. Unless you get rid of 50 + 1. This is not a grant, but the chances then increase that large wealthy cities like Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, and Stuttgart would then have many larger financial resources. I know that many German companies would get into football if they ve the command.

Volkswagen and Bayer have their own clubs, Red Bull and SAP factually too, they are relatively competitive but in the end this concept does not have what it takes to challenge.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
German companies can't really justify pumping the kind of sums into a football club that you would need to compete with the big boys on a global level. That's more oil sheikh/dictator territory where you don't really have to justify your decisions to anyone and wasting money left and right is par for the course.

If you give up 50+1, you'd mostly just get investment from the usual suspects - Russia, Middle East, Far East. It'd be a foreign 'blood money' takeover of the league. It's wildly unpopular in Germany with fans and even the general public.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
And, for my part, I believe that loosening the grip of 50+1 would perhaps allow for more competition at the top, but if that's not what Germans want - abolition of 50+1, that is - then that's their culture and not my place to judge as someone who isn't German except for some faint ancestry. But as long as this is the case, I'm not seeing how we can expect the Meisterschale to change hands anytime soon.

Reactions: Lambo

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
German companies can't really justify pumping the kind of sums into a football club that you would need to compete with the big boys on a global level. That's more oil sheikh/dictator territory where you don't really have to justify your decisions to anyone and wasting money left and right is par for the course.

If you give up 50+1, you'd mostly just get investment from the usual suspects - Russia, Middle East, Far East. It'd be a foreign 'blood money' takeover of the league. It's wildly unpopular in Germany with fans and even the general public.
Germans hate the idea that their team becomes a 1860 München version 2.0.
Once they were more successful and more respected and wealthier than Bayern. But that was almost 60 years ago. Today they play Unterhaching.

The EPL model wouldn't work in Germany. I wouldn't call Hannover 96 fans very passionate (as a whole compared to other fanbases) and even a casual H96 supporter would kill Martin Kind because of his 50+1 actions. Schalke (unlike Dortmund) is even able to put football in a seperate company because of the fans.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Once they were more successful and more respected and wealthier than Bayern. But that was almost 60 years ago. Today they play Unterhaching.

The EPL model wouldn't work in Germany. I wouldn't call Hannover 96 fans very passionate (as a whole compared to other fanbases) and even a casual H96 supporter would kill Martin Kind because of his 50+1 actions. Schalke (unlike Dortmund) is even able to put football in a seperate company because of the fans.

At this point, I'd prefer Bayern and Leipzig to go off and join some European super league and the rest can play out the German championship.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

1860 is a negative example. But okay but with 50 + 1 you ve Bayern as eternal chamion and the rest of Bundesliga-Clubs make youth work for Bayern, PL-Clubs + other rich european clubs. This is not a bright future for Bundesliga.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Last gameday and only two decitions left. I don't think Bayer will overtake Gladbach and I hope Werder won't overtake Fortuna. No issues with Werder, but I want Funkel to get his last bonus and a good (nothern) 2 Liga.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Florian Wirtz already has 7 (successful) dribbles in the first half of this game, haha.

Also really nice to see Sinkgraven hopefully putting his injury woes behind him to get some consistent time. He was such a talent.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Fortuna have only themselves to blame not getting a single win in the final two games playing against teams with nothing to play for. I know they don’t have much quality but I’m sure mentally they never came back from that last second loss to Dortmund

Overall not much drama in the final minutes, maybe Schalke concede more :laugh:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Not that it matters for them, but Dortmund is getting trounced. Getting killed on the counter.
The difference between a world class club like Bayern (who I dislike) and Dortmund is: They don't lose at home 0:4 on last gameday. Pathetic.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I can see why people were meme-ing Odriozola. Dude is not very good, Wolfsburg's attackers were exposing him a bit today. I think Flick switched Coman to the right side around the first water break just cos Coman could track back and help out more whereas Gnabry was doing nothing defensively.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Excellent goal haul for Lewandowski, but three other players from a stats perspective who stand out for me are Werner, Mueller and Sancho.

Reactions: Hadoop

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Werder vs HSV would be a magnificent relegation playoff in normal circumstances...without fans though it will be weird and potentially dangerous as ultras of both teams may try to 'meet' regardless.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not sure if the element of danger would be any better though, for both sides that would be Sieg oder Spielabbruch. Like this they'll at least settle it on the pitch win or lose as it should be.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Union finish above Schalke haha
Schalke losers accomplished 1 win and 9 points in the second half.
Man, I hope Billyfield, Stuttgart and the third party will be strong next year and the Schalke and Köln freaks get relegated.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00