German football 2019/2020

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Here's one of my favourite comeback stories I have ever witnessed

Dynamo Dresden (2nd in GDR league) vs. Bayer Uerdingen (7th in FRG league)

Both were cupwinners in their leagues and matched up in the quarters of the Euro.Cup winners contest.

Dresden won 2-0 in first leg and was up 3-1 after the tirst half of the second leg (5-1 combined).

Then the miracle happened...

Look at the Dresden roster. This was the best of the best at that time:

Wunder von der Grotenburg – Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You just signed Stuttgart's deadwood Gentner as well. nonetheless wish Union luck next season.

Between Gentner, Ujah and Subotic's corpse, we should have all of the "experience" that we could ask for!...

Luckily we got Friedrich back to anchor our backline; which leaves only FB as a clear weak point on the roster. As Promel, Schmiedebach, Kroos & Gentner should be ok...hopefully. Kade, Hartel, Mees, Abdullah, Gogia and Becker might even give us some decent creative impulses...and we had to beat out Hertha, Werder & Frankfurt to sign that Danish forward that we nabbed to battle with Andersson, Polter, Ujah & (maybe) Dehl.

Certainly more of a top 2nd league roster than a solidly 1st league one, but that's what we are :dunno:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
He could have got more money elsewhere but apparently signed for the experience.
I don't think Kruse's contract is the issue. He knows what he is doing.
HSV were overpaying mediocre players like Holtby or Lasogga. I hope they get smarter this season.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure to an extent, the management in Hamburg hasn't been anywhere near successful, but Lasogga going to Qatar gives him another big payday that Kruse could have had too had he wanted to.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Sure to an extent, the management in Hamburg hasn't been anywhere near successful, but Lasogga going to Qatar gives him another big payday that Kruse could have had too had he wanted to.
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Kruse. I like that guy. He's 31 yo now. He can have a pay day in China or whereever in 2 years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Lasogga and his expensive Oedipus complex in turn get the same or more in Qatar tax-free as they did in Hamburg before taxes.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
First HSV remove their famous clock and now Lotto King Karl is no longer allowed to sing their hymn "Hamburg meine Perle". Sad days in Hamburg.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haller to Dortmund? IIRC Haller was linked with West Ham.

I think Dortmund needs a big CF. I also don't think Alcacer is a starter level player, and I think Goetze is best used in the position Delaney was used in last season.

Haller would be an excellent signing for Dortmund, and there aren't many big clubs trying to sign him, so I think we could complete the signing this transfer window.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Alcacer looked like one of the best forwards in the league for about 2/3 of the season last year. Of course the 1/3 may have cost Dortmund the title, but if they gave up on him now he might be the fastest a player ever went from 'bargain' to 'transfer bust'.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Alcacer looked like one of the best forwards in the league for about 2/3 of the season last year. Of course the 1/3 may have cost Dortmund the title, but if they gave up on him now he might be the fastest a player ever went from 'bargain' to 'transfer bust'.

Who said to give up on him? He was most effective off the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad