German football 2019/2020

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Is there any worry from German fans that the quality of player they are producing isn't as good as the top countries anymore?

In the German National Team, there's currently two youth eligible players on the team, Havertz and Serdar. Serdar also was only a replacement player for an injured player, and no one would mistake him for some future star. Havertz appears to be the only young German who matches up to what is being produced by teams like France, Germany, Brazil and England.

If you look at the youth teams for Germany, most of them either don't play at good teams or if they play at a good team, they don't play. What happened to the quality of players being produced by Germany?
Today the French are top tier, but weren't relevant for years. Before that it was Spain and they weren't relevant for many years before. England might have a good future, but weren't top for years. I'm not concerned. Germany is still better than in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Is there any worry from German fans that the quality of player they are producing isn't as good as the top countries anymore?

In the German National Team, there's currently two youth eligible players on the team, Havertz and Serdar. Serdar also was only a replacement player for an injured player, and no one would mistake him for some future star. Havertz appears to be the only young German who matches up to what is being produced by teams like France, Germany, Brazil and England.

If you look at the youth teams for Germany, most of them either don't play at good teams or if they play at a good team, they don't play. What happened to the quality of players being produced by Germany?
HUH?

In any case I hope Argentina could suck as much as Germany in producing players. Although this up coming generation looks very promising.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I know you didnt. My point was that everyone wondered why the Dutch no longer produced players, in fact it was discussed on here. But then they produced a few after all. I think its the same everywhere. All you need is a few guys not panning out or just having struggles during their development, and it looks like theres no talent.

I think with Germany theres been a few misses and guys not turning out quite as well as people hoped. But the margins are thin at the top. People talk about the bad 90s and early 00s but Germany had some great footballers at the time, just not enough at an absolute elite level.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think with the Dutch it was more that they lacked good enough defensive players for a while and so the squad lacked balance. It didn't help that the atmosphere was quite poisoned at times.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think with the Dutch it was more that they lacked good enough defensive players for a while and so the squad lacked balance. It didn't help that the atmosphere was quite poisoned at times.
It was honestly mostly just a matter of being a transition period and having really poor decisions made at the managerial and higher level.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Still van Dijk's emergence has helped them a lot, losing against Bulgaria in 2017 their back end still consisted of Zoet, Karsdorp, de Ligt (17 yo), Martins Indi, and Blind.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

The 97s & 98s were terrible age groups for us and those are currently the 20-22 year-olds that are usually the leading figures of any youth movement...although the 97ers are starting to put together some NT-caliber depth; even if Torunarigha & Mittelstadt are the only realistic starters IMO...throw in that the 99ers lacked elite talent beyond Havertz, Meier, & Itter*, and it's not really a surprise that those age groups are doing little for the NT.

Plus those weak age groups are still populating the eldest youth NTs; meaning that there are a lot of sub-senior-NT spots for the more talented players from younger age groups to fill. Which, when add to our senior NT having a lot of 23 & 24 year old talent to lean on -- Sane, Gnabry, Brandt, Werner, Amiri, Waldschmidt, Kimmich, Goretzka, M. Eggestein, Weigl, Klostermann, Kehrer, Tah, Süle -- means that there's little impulse to rush talents from the 2000ers & younger age groups, who could be breaking in on a weaker NT.

Basically; since the stacked 95ers & 96ers made it to the senior level, we've been waiting for the kids born this millennium to start formulating the next wave. Especially since those 95ers/96ers + Kai + a few key older pieces, is more than enough talent for Jogi to fail with. Though some big injuries robbing top talents like J. Eggestein & Mbom of key developmental season and Leipzig wasting a year of development for their kids, have delayed that next wave a bit at present.

*and his development hasn't exactly gone as smoothly as Lahm's did
I meant Netherlands.

Same thing really :sarcasm:

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Should have known that as the Kurd militias are leftist St Pauli would come down strong on that.

Gundogan and Can were also flirting with trouble for "liking" the Turkish NT's military salute photo. They took their likes back and apologised. Sahin said he saw nothing wrong with it and wouldn't retract. Personally I think he can go f*** himself

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought the offside looked like the right call. Favre also didn’t say it’s only a one game suspension. That’s what Zorc said. Favre didn’t say how long it would be, and he coaches the team, so Zorc can make him available for selection, and Favre can choose not to play him.

If we somehow win this game, it’ll be a big accomplishment. We are using a complete makeshift team today.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wow. I'm surprised that Dortmund didn't manage to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory once more with Favre again going for the "substitute multiple defenders on for attackers in the last few minutes" strategy. I don't know what's wrong with Akanji but he shouldn't be playing right now.

Joke refing here. BS Offsides, now this BS "he cant see" rule. Please.

I'm not a fan of the visual obstruction part of the offsides rule either. Sommer wasn't reaching that ball either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad