German football 2019/2020

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Coutinho is what I'd call a 'nifty little player', but I'd say he's a little too one dimensional to ever to be a world class player. It wasn't entirely shocking that he couldn't light it up at Barca.

Gladbach struggling with Düsseldorf, level now after trailing. After getting rolled by an Austrian team on Thursday a loss here would have put Rose on the hot seat.

Reactions: YNWA14

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is why Bayern will win again. Maybe Leipzig gives them a run for their money, but they probably don't have the squad depth for that. A coach switch won't be happening until the end of the season, if it happens.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Only saw extended highlights at the moment, but Witsel has to be among the best midfielders in Europe. Fantastic player. Sancho will eventually go for a world record fee despite a few struggles today.
Not saying this applies to Coutinho, but we've seen too many world class players like Robben fail during their brief stints with Real or Barca, for an unsuccessful season or two with one of those clubs to prove that a guy isn't world class. Which is what PB is getting at...although if I'd agree that Coutinho simply isn't consistent enough to be considered world class, even if (like Hamez) you can put him in that discussion when on-form/at-his-best.
I would say that Coutinho has world class talent but he just doesn't have the consistency or mentality to become a world class player. There are many players out there that, on their day, can take over a game that just don't have the work ethic or consistency to be considered in the upper echelon of players. I loved Coutinho (really soured on him the way he left) but I had kind of 'turned' on him in this sense in the previous season when the team became overly reliant on him and you could see he just isn't suited to that role. I thought he'd do better at Barcelona without the burden of being the main man, but I think the last season with Klopp really went to his head stylistically and he had other burdens to overcome that I think he couldn't. Bayern is another good situation for him with very low expectations where I think he can do well.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I would say that Coutinho has world class talent but he just doesn't have the consistency or mentality to become a world class player. There are many players out there that, on their day, can take over a game that just don't have the work ethic or consistency to be considered in the upper echelon of players.

I don't think it's the effort or consistency. It's that he best plays in a "10" role which is all but extinct.

Be it Coutinho, James, Özil, etc... The number 10s natural players have very little place in today's football (I'm tempted to say a new meta, before the new patch comes out).

Bayern has one spot for a "special" role, be it Müller Raumdeuter role or Coutinho's "10" - so it just might work for him, as well as for Bayern where Kovac basically switches the system depending on whether Coutinho or Müller plays (he says he doesn't see a way to start both of them at the same time).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hoeness is insane. This time he said that Bayern won’t release any players to the German National Team if Neuer isn’t starting.

Would Germany be better off with ter-Stegen in goal or Neuer in goal with Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry and Mueller also available?

I’d lean towards the Bayern players, but I think it’s closer than most would think. The difference in value of having the best keeper in the world in net as opposed to a keeper ranked 6-10 is enormous.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hoeness is insane. This time he said that Bayern won’t release any players to the German National Team if Neuer isn’t starting.

Would Germany be better off with ter-Stegen in goal or Neuer in goal with Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry and Mueller also available?

I’d lean towards the Bayern players, but I think it’s closer than most would think. The difference in value of having the best keeper in the world in net as opposed to a keeper ranked 6-10 is enormous.
Keep Neur ... So, Argentina don't have to face the coolest keeper in the world.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Union Berlin are paying their dues. cgf might not be amused but aware of that. It's going to be tough as expected.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And the best part is that's basically the same (almost) relegation roster from last year. I don't think it will last long, but I love the early weeks.

I don't think they will be in the CL qualifying spots at the end of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were in the 5-7 range. The gap between teams in the BuLi isn't all that big really, and there's a number of teams that are pretty questionable really. Looking at the table I feel like there's 7-8 teams that one could see getting relegated without using one's imagination too much.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
For US viewers, Bundesliga moving to ESPN+ next season. Select games will be shown over the air but for majority will be the online stream

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm generally not a big fan of Watzke, but what did he say thats wrong?

Auba took the money to play at a team that plays in the Europa League year after year.

He nearly took the money to play in China. The guy wanted a big contract. I can't blame him. He hadn't been a star for 10 years in Europe like most of his counterparts. He probably has been paid a lot less through the years than most players at these big clubs.

And, like Dembele, the player he referenced, he was completely unprofessional in forcing a move away from Dortmund. The team doesn't object to letting players leave if they want out.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Auba took the money to play at a team that plays in the Europa League year after year.

He nearly took the money to play in China. The guy wanted a big contract. I can't blame him. He hadn't been a star for 10 years in Europe like most of his counterparts. He probably has been paid a lot less through the years than most players at these big clubs.

And, like Dembele, the player he referenced, he was completely unprofessional in forcing a move away from Dortmund. The team doesn't object to letting players leave if they want out.
It seemed like an unprovoked attack on Aubameyang. Like a jealous ex-GF or something.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

That's an interesting way to analyze it, considering Arsenal played in the CL 22 of the last 25 years and the EL 3 of the last 25 years. He clearly expected for Arsenal to be back in the CL, which they really should have accomplished the last 2 years, but they choked in away games in the 2nd half of both seasons.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Auba is right that Watzke is a clown and just as enamored with money as any player. Dortmund sell players far more readily than clubs with similar finances. And why even make those comments?

Reactions: cgf and Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad