German football 2019/2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's the same thing every game. Go ahead early by outplaying teams we should. Once we get the lead, turtle and lose the lead.

Favre-ball.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Freiburg definitely deserves this result also, if it stands. This is the worst we've played all season. The attack is anemic without Sancho, which anyone could see was coming once he needed a rest. Reus is drastically out of form, while Brandt and Hazard have added nothing since joining the club. I'd try Guerreiro on the left wing again. It worked last season.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Because Watzke thinks its his job to be Dortmunds Uli Hoeness so talking smack about people to the press is just par for the course.
As much as I dislike Hoeneß, Watzke is not playing in Hoeneß' league.

In other news, Bayern are about to loose at home and Leipzig to mf Leverkusen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see Favre going before the winter break. This has continued for weeks now. There might not be any better candidates, but I don't think we are going to accept a full season of mediocrity just because there aren't any great replacement candidates out there. Take a stand that Favre's results aren't good enough, and the club isn't going to stand for his mediocrity.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Bayern lose at home to Hoffenheim. Probably still on a high from the CL thrashing handed out to Spurs midweek.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Hoffenheim played it very cleverly, but I also felt like Bayern played with a certain arrogance, like they expected to get a few goals just by showing up.

With regard to Favre, I struggle to see him last past this season in Dortmund, hes in the stage now where he just shrugs and smiles when something bad happens.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
As much as I dislike Hoeneß, Watzke is not playing in Hoeneß' league.

In other news, Bayern are about to loose at home and Leipzig to mf Leverkusen.

Hoeness has gotten worse since his release from jail to be honest. He always was self-righteous and prone to outbursts, but he seems to have lost any sense of moderation. Maybe after prison he just has no more effs to give.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Union Berlin are paying their dues. cgf might not be amused but aware of that. It's going to be tough as expected.

Yeah. We could've stolen a point today and would've deserved more than a point from our match with Augsburg if not for the late red...but I've said it before & it remains true today: I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience regardless of results. This is something I genuinely thought that I would never see & it kills me that having just gone back to school, I was unable to drop everything & move back to Berlin for the season.

...plus as a Union fan, I've got a lot of practice caring more about the team giving their all to try & play positive football, than I have about our results.

On the plus side, I'm pretty happy with Rose's work in Gladbach thus far. He & the roster are still figuring each other out, but I like what he's going for, for them.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Yeah. We could've stolen a point today and would've deserved more than a point from our match with Augsburg if not for the late red...but I've said it before & it remains true today: I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience regardless of results. This is something I genuinely thought that I would never see & it kills me that having just gone back to school, I was unable to drop everything & move back to Berlin for the season.

...plus as a Union fan, I've got a lot of practice caring more about the team giving their all to try & play positive football, than I have about our results.

On the plus side, I'm pretty happy with Rose's work in Gladbach thus far. He & the roster are still figuring each other out, but I like what he's going for, for them.
I still think there are worse teams than Union. Köln or Augsburg aren't better, and of course Paderborn. Your goal must be to come in 15th or 16th. But you know that of course.
Damn Wobbies will be good this year. I hate it!
It's still early, but I like what's going on in the league right now. At least for now it's not that boring Bayern or Dortmund thing. Won't last forever, but it's entertaining.

Reactions: cgf

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there any worry from German fans that the quality of player they are producing isn't as good as the top countries anymore?

In the German National Team, there's currently two youth eligible players on the team, Havertz and Serdar. Serdar also was only a replacement player for an injured player, and no one would mistake him for some future star. Havertz appears to be the only young German who matches up to what is being produced by teams like France, Germany, Brazil and England.

If you look at the youth teams for Germany, most of them either don't play at good teams or if they play at a good team, they don't play. What happened to the quality of players being produced by Germany?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It works in cycles. People act like you can produce world class players like in a factory. Doesnt work like that.

I think there was a conceit among German football officials, the media etc. that somehow they “solved” talent development in the 00s for good. In reality, whatever you do that works will be copied by everyone else. Theres no permanent built-in guarantees. Germany has numbers, thats the main advantage over say Belgium or the Netherlands, but numbers dont guarantee that you will produce a top 10 player. Sometimes your best player in a 2-3 year period is more Andi Möller and less Beckenbauer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All of Kimmich, Werner, Gnabry, Brandt, Sane, Sule, Goretzka, Havertz, etc. are under 25. Even ter Stegen is still young for a keeper. They have a bunch of really talented youngsters coming up as well. I think they're doing just fine. They need a new coach though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->