German Football 2018/2019 Part II

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't like the fair left wing attitude of FC St. Pauli. I also don't like the far right attitde of Hansa and the Dynamos. Nonetheless have fun. It's only football.
I am of the opinion that people who mix sports and politics are a blight on humanity. People who throw in religion are even worse. I'll probably go to see a team I might never get another chance to see live. Like the Lazio fans are horrible in the opposite direction but if I had a chance to see the team I would.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I am of the opinion that people who mix sports and politics are a blight on humanity. People who throw in religion are even worse. I'll probably go to see a team I might never get another chance to see live. Like the Lazio fans are horrible in the opposite direction but if I had a chance to see the team I would.
Watch them, they are fun watch. I read a report awhile ago even English fans travel to Hamburg, because they can't afford tickets for their favourite teams in England. St. Pauliy tickets (incl. travel) are cheaper.

Reactions: sabremike

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The funny thing about that is that politics are the only reason St.Pauli are known outside Germany..its not like they ever did anything on the pitch to justify any sort of fame.

In the UK, and now due to the increased interest in world football in America as well, St Pauli are the woke hipsters favs..just like they were in Germany for a long time.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
HSV will spend another season in the 2BL as they were hammered in Paderborm who are now in 2nd one point above Union with one round to go

Reactions: Lambo

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
HSV will spend another season in the 2BL as they were hammered in Paderborm who are now in 2nd one point above Union with one round to go
Should say LOL, but I don't. HSV is in serious financial trouble now. See you next season, other HSV.

Reactions: Lambo

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I was kinda hoping that Eintracht would keep on through to the Europa League final and snag a CL spot there while dropping to 5th (or lower) in the Bundesliga. As it is, really hoping Mainz can catch them out today. Given Eintract's better goal difference (+18 to +15) over Gladbach, if they draw today and Bayern knows a draw is good enough next week, I could really see next week's game being something of an Anschluss-style draw.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Frankfurt is losing 2-0 with a few minutes left. They will go into the final match day a point behind Gladbach and Leverkusen, if this result holds.

We can help them out next week against Gladbach. Leverkusen plays in Berlin, which is not an easy fixture.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Frankfurt is losing 2-0 with a few minutes left. They will go into the final match day a point behind Gladbach and Leverkusen, if this result holds.

We can help them out next week against Gladbach. Leverkusen plays in Berlin, which is not an easy fixture.
Frankfurt is doing what almost all the EL teams do. At some point they collapse. Ask Köln or IIRC Freiburg supporters. Their roster ain't deep enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, and ultimately those 3 points cost Bayern the title while St. Pauli still got relegated as dead last.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
HSV LOL! In the same footsteps like Kaiserslautern in future?
As I stated before I'm not a fan of the HSV mess, but Hamburg is the 2nd largest city in Germany. They need a competative football club. Rather HSV than St. Pauli.
They are now in deep trouble. Lautern has a history, but they have around 100tsd inhabitants.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
As I stated before I'm not a fan of the HSV mess, but Hamburg is the 2nd largest city in Germany. They need a competative football club. Rather HSV than St. Pauli.
They are now in deep trouble. Lautern has a history, but they have around 100tsd inhabitants.
Looking to Berlin! The biggest City of Germany and they were 2nd and 3rd class(80s) in the past.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Looking to Berlin! The biggest City of Germany and they were 2nd and 3rd class(80s) in the past.

Unlike other capital cities, Berlin has had a really tough history trying to have a dominant club because of the Ost Deutschland/West Deutschland problem that spanned four and a half decades. Even if you played for Hertha (who are in the western half of the city), you were surrounded by East Germany, which got the shortend of the stick in the divide, to say the least. There's a reason why, even today, there's very little East German influence in the Bundesliga and, the influence that does exist, is a Red Bull-funded operation.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Right, but I think the Bundesliga should contain some of the big cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, the Rhine region and Munich, Stuttgart/Freiburg/Karlsruhe. And I'd like to see some eastern teams like Leipizig, Union or Magdeburg.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Frankfurt is doing what almost all the EL teams do. At some point they collapse. Ask Köln or IIRC Freiburg supporters. Their roster ain't deep enough.

It’s a good point. Some of those teams are smaller clubs that don’t spend significant amounts of money. You could throw Hoffenheim into that mix from last season and Schalke this season, although they also weren’t very good to begin with. I think the top three and maybe Leverkusen are the only four with the squads to successfully manage Europe and the league at the same time. I want Frankfurt to get the fourth spot this season because I think they’ve been the fourth best team, but it might be better off going to Bosz and Leverkusen, if this is about which team will better represent the league in Europe. I can’t imagine all three of Frankfurt’s front three will be staying for next season.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Right, but I think the Bundesliga should contain some of the big cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, the Rhine region and Munich, Stuttgart/Freiburg/Karlsruhe. And I'd like to see some eastern teams like Leipizig, Union or Magdeburg.
I want Münster in Bundesliga! ;) ;)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Unlike other capital cities, Berlin has had a really tough history trying to have a dominant club because of the Ost Deutschland/West Deutschland problem that spanned four and a half decades. Even if you played for Hertha (who are in the western half of the city), you were surrounded by East Germany, which got the shortend of the stick in the divide, to say the least. There's a reason why, even today, there's very little East German influence in the Bundesliga and, the influence that does exist, is a Red Bull-funded operation.

The complexities of the situation in Berlin shouldn't be reduced to the Berlin Wall, Hertha BSC never was the club for all of Berlin and wouldn't have been no matter what. Maybe the division helped a situation where more people root for clubs from elsewhere in Germany though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Berlin is also simply too large to have a single club capture the hearts of the city. Paris is one of the only exceptions to this as far as huge European cities go.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
HSV will always be the primary Hamburg club, and there's way too much money in Hamburg for them to end up like K'Lautern or the various Traditionsklubs in the Ruhrgebiet. They'll likely also be amusingly incompetent though so I foresee a future like in Cologne i.e. jumping between 1. and 2. Liga with the occasional multi-year bout at both levels.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Could someone with historical knowledge chime on in if this is accurate: The main reason East German clubs are so far behind the west even to this day is because until the wall fell they were in a league that was essentialy rigged so that the team of the Stasi (I can't remember their name, the minute the communists were overthrown they ended up vanishing shortly thereafter) would win it every season. Obviously there are other factors but I think that's the one that put those clubs behind the 8 ball.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Could someone with historical knowledge chime on in if this is accurate: The main reason East German clubs are so far behind the west even to this day is because until the wall fell they were in a league that was essentialy rigged so that the team of the Stasi (I can't remember their name, the minute the communists were overthrown they ended up vanishing shortly thereafter) would win it every season. Obviously there are other factors but I think that's the one that put those clubs behind the 8 ball.

I'm no expert, but you are talking about Erich Mielke and "his" BFC Dynamo Berlin.
Berliner FC Dynamo - Wikipedia

The main reason the east clubs are so far behind is the money. They tried in bigger markets like Leipzig, Dresden and Rostock, but they failed. One example what happened
Dynamo Dresden - Wikipedia

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Berlin is also simply too large to have a single club capture the hearts of the city. Paris is one of the only exceptions to this as far as huge European cities go.

IMO it has more to do with the fact that Hertha was a scandal club
Hertha BSC – Wikipedia

The English wiki version isn't very good, bt they cheated after they came into the Bundesliga. East-Berlin was divided between Union and Dynamo anyway. Maybe cgf can help us out and explain the rilvary better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad