German Football 2018/2019 Part II

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I have to apologize to those who were critical about Lucien Favre. I was one of those who liked the signing because of what he has done in Gladbach and Nice.
I still think he's not a bad coach, but he is not a winner. He proved that at his former teams and esp. after the loss to Schalke. It's still possible Dortmund wins the league and he simply gave up in that interview on saturday. He has not the balls to coach a winner.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
In other news:
-Reus got suspended for 2 games, able to play in the last game of the season
-Wolf got 3 games

Lewis Holtby got suspended by HSV for the reminder of the season. He requested not to travel with the team to Union Berlin.
Thorgan Hazard will move to Dortmund next season
Hazard bestätigt Einigung mit dem BVB

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
On paper Favre is one of the best for sure, but when given 90 minutes that don't go according to his plan like often is the case with big matches he has absolutely no ability to react. He would need to spend the night in the video room to know what to do but obviously that's not how it works and that's why he has a pattern of failure when it matters most despite compiling impressive point totals when it doesn't.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He has no plan B, as I said. His first year with Nice was splendid, but teams had figured it out (and luck stopped coming too) by the second season and Nice weren't a player then.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Once he dropped Goetze against Bayern, thats when I became anti-Favre. That's a huge gaffe that I think if you end up being wrong about, you need to come under serious scrutiny for.

Its good that Reus should be back for the final game of the season against his former club Gladbach who he always plays well against. If we can't beat Bremen and Dusseldorf without him, we don't deserve to win the title. Wolf shouldn't matter much, as long as Piszczek returns this week from injury. He probably wouldn't have started anyway, although this might cause Piszczek to be rushed back.

And I'm not such a big Thorgan Hazard fan. He's now agreed to personal terms, but maybe the two clubs won't agree on his valuation. He's basically an older version of Pulisic, in terms of his production over a few seasons sample. Thats a good 3rd winger, but we need someone to come in and start opposite Sancho. Guerreiro should be the third winger, not a starter.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
So HSV lost at Union and Paderborn won vs. Heidenheim. As of now HSV is 4th and promoted Paderborn is 2nd.

2. Bundesliga is really crazy. Paderborn this weekend lost to Bielefeld and HSV just lost to (relegation) Ingolstadt at homw 0-3. IMO the race behind Köln is wide open.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That'll end the title race. 9 point lead at one point, and we'll finish lower in the table than Bayern.

Favre will get another season, but he shouldn't. Maybe he's earned it based on what usually would have a coach kept in the job, but his coaching style when we have the lead has lost us so many points this season.

There is no way we shouldn't have won this game today. It could've been 4 or 5 in the first half. Bremen barely touched the ball. In the second half, Favre decides to play prevent defense. It rarely works. Didn't work in this game.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That'll end the title race. 9 point lead at one point, and we lose it.

Favre will get another season, but he shouldn't. Maybe he's earned it based on what usually would have a coach kept in the job, but his coaching style when we have the lead has lost us so many points this season.

There is no way we shouldn't have won this game today. It could've been 4 or 5 in the first half. Bremen barely touched the ball. In the second half, Favre decides to play prevent defense. It rarely works. Didn't work in this game.

Funny how there were all those matches earlier in the season where nothing happened in the first half and they poured it on in the second half with their substitutions. Now there are so many matches where they scored a goal or two early and first, then collapse. It suggests a team that really depends on momentum - whichever way it swings - and can't control games. It's a shame to have wasted a vulnerable Bayern year and a really good squad with a managerial performance like this.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Funny how there were all those matches earlier in the season where nothing happened in the first half and they poured it on in the second half with their substitutions. Now there are so many matches where they scored a goal or two early and first, then collapse. It suggests a team that really depends on momentum - whichever way it swings - and can't control games. It's a shame to have wasted a vulnerable Bayern year and a really good squad with a managerial performance like this.

It suggests tactical problems, either with how you are initially setting out to play or with how you are adjusting during the course of the game.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad