German Football 2018/2019 Part II

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Both Robben and Ribery score; Ribery's one was a nice one, especially.

I know there are lots of sentiments in a final game/title clinching game and with players leaving, but this Munchen squad just looks like one big happy family. Ribery and Robben (and Rafinha) will be missed plenty, both on but especially off the pitch. Nothing but for respect for Bayern, who I think have kept their identity in the mids of this big spending, modern football age.

Also, Weghorst with another hattrick. He just scores in bunches or not at all. He has 17 goals and 5 assists playing for Wolfsburg. Should get some recognition for Oranje in the near future.

Reactions: Hadoop

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know there are lots of sentiments in a final game/title clinching game and with players leaving, but this Munchen squad just looks like one big happy family. Ribery and Robben (and Rafinha) will be missed plenty, both on but especially off the pitch. Nothing but for respect for Bayern, who I think have kept their identity in the mids of this big spending, modern football age.

Definitely feels like the end of an era and I have no care for Bayern. All these big name players leaving from the last decade+ are making me feel old and nostalgic.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Frankfurt fans were happy to finish 7th but the club have to now play 6 matches I believe just to make the group stage and they will likely lose most of their players.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Both Robben and Ribery score; Ribery's one was a nice one, especially.

Also, Weghorst with another hattrick. He just scores in bunches or not at all. He has 17 goals and 5 assists playing for Wolfsburg. Should get some recognition for Oranje in the near future.

It's much easier to keep an "identity" in the form of key players as one of the handful of clubs that doesn't have to sell its best players after they have one good year. Meanwhile they deepened their ties in Qatar this year, because - like most of the rest of the top clubs in Europe - they do pursue money at all costs, even when it's so transparently tied to slave labor.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
It's much easier to keep an "identity" in the form of key players as one of the handful of clubs that doesn't have to sell its best players after they have one good year..

I'm talking about their attacking DNA, the occasional, but quality youth injections from within, how they strive to have as many Germans within the squad and how they always prefer to have a coach with a history of playing for Bayern München. Yes they spend some, and being so ridiculously dominant in Germany it only makes it easier for them to attract Bundesliga talent, but up until the Hernandez transfer just recently, Bayern has never spent more than 41M on a player. I feel much different towards them than I do vs a PSG, City, Real, Chelsea, etc.

Reactions: Hadoop

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Feel differently towards them? Yeah I do too.
Bayern consistently attack other rich teams.
They're also one of the few teams everyone should despise (with Juve and others) because they consistently put pressure on UEFA to change the CL to favor richer teams. Of course, only the old guard rich teams, not the new rich.
They als unsettle every good player in the Bundesliga. Convinces them to leave on frees to get more money and avoid giving it to their competition.
They have weakenned their own league for decades now.

Bayern is just about everything that's wrong in football.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm talking about their attacking DNA, the occasional, but quality youth injections from within, how they strive to have as many Germans within the squad and how they always prefer to have a coach with a history of playing for Bayern München. Yes they spend some, and being so ridiculously dominant in Germany it only makes it easier for them to attract Bundesliga talent, but up until the Hernandez transfer just recently, Bayern has never spent more than 41M on a player. I feel much different towards them than I do vs a PSG, City, Real, Chelsea, etc.

They don't have any claim to having attacking "DNA" like Ajax or Barcelona would. There was never anything distinctive about their attacking style. The amount of impact academy products is steeply declining with Hummels and Müller getting old and worse, and they haven't had anyone break through since Alaba. If they don't spend more than 40M it's out of stinginess and the belief that they could find someone similar with a cheap release clause or at the end of his contract.

Reactions: Evilo

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Good that Frankfurt got their EL spot in the end. They'll have a tough next season anyway since their best player leaves for Real.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Btw. Congrats to Ribeiry to your 9th championship with Bayern. IIRC he's has the most now.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Btw Pizza stays for one more season at Werder, So it's an easy choice what team I support next Buli season. 40yo legend.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
2. Bundesliga today. It's very easy: Union must win at Bochum while Paderborn doesn't win at Dresden. Though I like the cinderella story behind Paderborn I'd like to see Union get promoted. The not-winner (loser is not the correct term) plays Stuttgart twice.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wild finish, Paderborn lost to Dynamo Dresden so it simply came down to what Union did...Union were losing 2:0 early 2nd half at Bochum but Bochum had a player sent off, Union scored two quick goals around the 80th minute to equalize but failed to get the needed winner. Paderborn promote on GD, their 2nd promotion to the BL in their history. Its been a wild ride for them too, 5 promotions/relegations in 6 seasons including a stint in the 3BL

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Props to Bochum and Dresden for giving a very good effort in games that were basically meaningless to them. Can't be taken for granted (as seen in some of yesterday's BuLi slaughters).

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I'm hopeful Stuttgart can do enough to stay up, but knowing their luck, they're going down.

I have no symphathy for Stuttgart at this point. They got promoted, bought and dealt, got the Daimler money and had 5year CL plan. And only because H96 and Nürnberg were worse they didn't got relegated again (Schalke is in the same situation).
Id rather see a 2nd Berlin club just to troll Hertha.

And I was a fan of the magic triangle back in the day. For those who don't know: Bobic, Balakhov, Elber.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have no symphathy for Stuttgart at this point. They got promoted, bought and dealt, got the Daimler money and had 5year CL plan. And only because H96 and Nürnberg were worse they didn't got relegated again (Schalke is in the same situation).
Id rather see a 2nd Berlin club just to troll Hertha.

And I was a fan of the magic triangle back in the day. For those who don't know: Bobic, Balakhov, Elber.

Oh, they're poorly run. They always screw things up. They can't keep a manager for longer than a few months it seems. They develop players only to sell them on for pennies when they can't figure out where to play them. They buy mediocre parts when they do have money.

They certainly only stay up because other teams are worse run.

While they have aspirations to be a big club (and with their fan base, stadium and financial support, they could be a bigger club, though not as big as they think) it always gets messed up.

I just root for them because that's where the family is from and I've been to matches. They know they don't deserve to stay up, and odds are they'll screw it up. But you feel a little bad for some of their supporters who are pretty loyal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad