German Football 2018/2019 Part II

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, why not. Great City, history and all, Wilsberg and Tatort, Erwin Kostedde.
On top of that Preußen was an original memebr of the Bundesliga IIRC.
Finally they bulid a new stadium(Start construction in Summer). The never endless story find their end(Stadium). ;)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The East just didn't have the same economic resources, nor the money to spend on football development. Big clubs also attract footballers to come play for them. I mean, really, look at the German National team. Other than Toni Kroos, basically none of their players were born in East Germany. Even he left an 'Eastern' club for Bayern at 16-17 to get better development.

They didn't have the same money, development and support of clubs in Western Germany. The East German national team wasn't as good as the Western counterpart, and the economics were the biggest cause.

As to where they are now, it's still related in development. The East has improved a lot, but it's hard to go from a poor developmental system to a strong one. You also don't have the same emphasis on youth development, and the economic investment. If someone in the East was going to invest in player development, they'd lose a lot of their players to the traditional clubs. Leipzig is able to develop and compete really only because they have the financial support and player pipeline of the RedBull apparatus. They could afford to put in the money and efforts to build the program from the ground up, and then go out and get young talent to come to their side. That doesn't mean it won't change over time, but the gap between Western Germany and Eastern Germany was significant, and it's still been a hard way back for the East.

Reactions: sabremike

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Finally they bulid a new stadium(Start construction in Summer). The never endless story find their end(Stadium). ;)
Back in the day I worked in Münster for a short time. You have lots of pubs in the "Kuhviertel" or something, right?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Van Bommel would be an odd appointment. I'd have expected them to go for someone more experienced after Kovac, rather than hire a former player of the club with one year as a manager in the Eredivisie.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, I'm not completely surprised if they whack Kovac. But it would be a bit of a surprise appointment. Maybe some of the other big names have turned them down.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
They didn't have the same money, development and support of clubs in Western Germany. The East German national team wasn't as good as the Western counterpart, and the economics were the biggest cause.

As to where they are now, it's still related in development. The East has improved a lot, but it's hard to go from a poor developmental system to a strong one. You also don't have the same emphasis on youth development, and the economic investment. If someone in the East was going to invest in player development, they'd lose a lot of their players to the traditional clubs. Leipzig is able to develop and compete really only because they have the financial support and player pipeline of the RedBull apparatus. They could afford to put in the money and efforts to build the program from the ground up, and then go out and get young talent to come to their side. That doesn't mean it won't change over time, but the gap between Western Germany and Eastern Germany was significant, and it's still been a hard way back for the East.

The East 1989 had better players as now. To name a few Thomas Doll, Matthias Sammer, Heiko Scholz. Dariusz Wosz, Andreas Thom, Ulf Kirsten, Olaf Marschall.
To play football has not much to do with economics and East German people were not that poor.
But because Eastern Germany nowdays has no own big companies they have just 1 club in the Bundesliga and there is no star player kids look up to. Maybe thats the reason Eastern Germany doesnt produce more players for the national team.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
In other (real) news and no speculation:

Kruse informed Werder he'd leave after this season
Füllkrug (poor man's) replacement will join Werder
Bebou (H96) to Gladbach(as originally reported) won't happen, he will join Hoffenheim. I hope he will be better on a real football team. He is very fast and actually a good player.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In other (real) news and no speculation:

Kruse informed Werder he'd leave after this season
Füllkrug (poor man's) replacement will join Werder
Bebou (H96) to Gladbach(as originally reported) won't happen, he will join Hoffenheim. I hope he will be better on a real football team. He is very fast and actually a good player.
Ihlas Bebou impressed me enough to bid on him in my Dynasty league from what I've seen of him. Who will be managing Hoffenheim next season?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Ihlas Bebou impressed me enough to bid on him in my Dynasty league from what I've seen of him. Who will be managing Hoffenheim next season?
His injury and the crap team he had to play for didn't help. I hope, no I'm pretty sure, he'll do better at Hoffenheim.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
If you look at the standings, and not considering the obvious race between Bayern and BvB, Frankfurt is the team that could loose everything,

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you look at the standings, and not considering the obvious race between Bayern and BvB, Frankfurt is the team that could loose everything,

Thats what could make the title race interesting. This is not Brighton already on their holiday before they face Man City. Frankfurt has to win. Bayern may be too good at home to let that happen, but Frankfurt has probably been the fourth best team in the league this season, so its not unrealistic to think they could give Bayern a game today.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The East 1989 had better players as now. To name a few Thomas Doll, Matthias Sammer, Heiko Scholz. Dariusz Wosz, Andreas Thom, Ulf Kirsten, Olaf Marschall.
To play football has not much to do with economics and East German people were not that poor.
But because Eastern Germany nowdays has no own big companies they have just 1 club in the Bundesliga and there is no star player kids look up to. Maybe thats the reason Eastern Germany doesnt produce more players for the national team.

Still for example Carl Zeiss Jena is doing quite badly even by eastern standards although their corporate landscape is one of the best.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Thats what could make the title race interesting. This is not Brighton already on their holiday before they face Man City. Frankfurt has to win. Bayern may be too good at home to let that happen, but Frankfurt has probably been the fourth best team in the league this season, so its not unrealistic to think they could give Bayern a game today.
Gladbach has to loose something, too. But not everthing. It won't be a walk in the park for BvB either. That being said: Good luck to everyone and no injuries or the Köln cellar VAR crap.

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Van Bommel would be an odd appointment. I'd have expected them to go for someone more experienced after Kovac, rather than hire a former player of the club with one year as a manager in the Eredivisie.

Van Bommel has all the traits to be a quality coach, but he isn't off to a good start. His tenure with PSV so far has been very unimpressive. I wouldn't want him if I were Bayern.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
HT: Bayern and Dortmund both lead 1:0, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim and Bremen all winning

If results hold, Leverkusen in the CL, Gladbach and Wolfsburg in the ELGS with Hoffenheim in the EL qualifying spot

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So far pretty much the worst set of results possible from a Dortmund perspective including Leverkusen passing Gladbach for a CL spot and increasing the odds that Brandt just stays in Leverkusen.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->