German Football 2018/2019 Part II

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I should watch more 2. Bundesliga games, which you'll be doing next season. :thumbu:

I don't know how someone could seriously dispute how that match was refereed. I can criticize Dortmund playing poorly, like either result against Schalke last year, but Schalke barely touched the ball before the red cards, and they got huge help from the referee. They were 3-1 up without a shot on goal from the run of play.
OMG, Sour losers are sour losers. Your players (both) were too stupid and that's the reason they got the red cards.
I have no idea what my team has to do with this. Grow up, dude.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
What a horror game day! Werder goes down in Düsseldorf and DFB umm Bayern(Sorry :naughty:) is as good as champion.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I can criticize Dortmund playing poorly, like either result against Schalke last year, but Schalke barely touched the ball before the red cards, and they got huge help from the referee.

They were up 2-1 before the first red was ever shown.

And the reds, I don't even know, man... Dortmund completely blacked out, those reds were some FIFA ragequit type of tackles. Absolute lunacy.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

And the reds, I don't even know, man... Dortmund completely blacked out, those reds were some FIFA ragequit type of tackles. Absolute lunacy.

Yep. Everyone who's played has done it before too. Then if they're playing single player they turn the console off so it doesn't count.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
OMG, Sour losers are sour losers. Your players (both) were too stupid and that's the reason they got the red cards.
I have no idea what my team has to do with this. Grow up, dude.

You obviously can't take a joke, and you had it coming towards you after you have the nerve to respond to my post, which wasn't directed towards you, with an lol. I also tried to steer the discussion back towards the game after I took the subtle shot at Hannover. I actually like Hannover because they have two up and coming Americans who should be in the first team next season. I don't want your team to go down. I'd like to see Soto and Gloster play in the Bundesliga next season.

You didn't even address anything about the refereeing because I think you know that the refereeing in this match wasn't very good. I criticize Dortmund all the time, but up until the first red card, I didn't think there was that much to criticize. I don't know how you could say its being a sour loser. There was maybe one instance where Dortmund struggled up to the first red card, the corner that Sane scored. It should've been a 1-1 or 2-2 game with Dortmund completely outplaying Schalke and Schalke on about 6 or 7 yellow cards, maybe a red, instead of only 3 yellows up to the point of the Reus tackle.

And if the referee hadn't been allowing Schalke to play rugby, I suspect Reus doesn't make that tackle because he'd know that he'd get sent off for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

The referee gives a 50/50 handball as a penalty for Schalke and another 50/50 handball that could've been a Dortmund penalty he won't even look at on the VAR, so there's your 2-1. It should've been an even scoreline with more than half of Schalke's team sitting on a yellow, potentially a red or two for the sheer amount of fouls. Schalke had barely crossed midfield. They were going to lose the game, without these shenanigans.

I am not complaining about the red cards, so why even mention that? The only complaint related to the red cards could be the first red card. Reus makes that tackle because he sees that the referee is taking a very lenient approach to booking Schalke players, but all of a sudden, he decided to start enforcing the rules starting with Reus. Thats inconsistent refereeing, despite it being a deserved red.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Stop the whining please you got hammered 4-2 at home to lowly Schalke, priceless stuff.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah sure the last couple of weeks have people accusing me of being too much PRO-MLS!

Big difference between whining after losses and objectively analysing things about a league.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The red cards were deserved, but when you let Schalke play rugby against our players for 60 minutes, our players are going to think they can do the same thing.

Yep. The reds were well-deserved, but the referee was extremely lenient to Schalke for similar challenges. The penalty for Weigl was fraudulent and incredibly harsh, and that call is so inconsistent. I've definitely seen bad officiating from Zwayer, but this was the worst. Reus and Wolf can't lose it like that, but the officiating to that point was extremely favorable to Schalke.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Last week and a half has been battle of the bottlejobs. Dortmund, Arsenal, Napoli, Man Utd, Chelsea, PSG and Tottenham to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
You obviously can't take a joke, and you had it coming towards you after you have the nerve to respond to my post, which wasn't directed towards you, with an lol. I also tried to steer the discussion back towards the game after I took the subtle shot at Hannover. I actually like Hannover because they have two up and coming Americans who should be in the first team next season. I don't want your team to go down. I'd like to see Soto and Gloster play in the Bundesliga next season.

You didn't even address anything about the refereeing because I think you know that the refereeing in this match wasn't very good. I criticize Dortmund all the time, but up until the first red card, I didn't think there was that much to criticize. I don't know how you could say its being a sour loser. There was maybe one instance where Dortmund struggled up to the first red card, the corner that Sane scored. It should've been a 1-1 or 2-2 game with Dortmund completely outplaying Schalke and Schalke on about 6 or 7 yellow cards, maybe a red, instead of only 3 yellows up to the point of the Reus tackle.

And if the referee hadn't been allowing Schalke to play rugby, I suspect Reus doesn't make that tackle because he'd know that he'd get sent off for it.

Of course the reffing wasn't good. Völler and Streich are telling everyone every week that the reffing at their games was crap. This happens every week. The penalty was okay, because that's the rule. Stupid rule, yes.
The two reds cost you and they were deserved. Stupid by both players.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Köln fires coach Markus Anfang.

I try to understand this. They lost to Darmstadt but are still leading the league by (worst case) 5 points with 4 games left. and then they fire their coach? Oh, well.

Btw HSV (2nd) at Union (4th) and Paderborn (3rd) vs Heidenheim (5th) this weekend.

Correction, it's only 3 games left. It's gameday 31.
So HSV lost at Union and Paderborn won vs. Heidenheim. As of now HSV is 4th and promoted Paderborn is 2nd.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Of course the reffing wasn't good. Völler and Streich are telling everyone every week that the reffing at their games was crap. This happens every week. The penalty was okay, because that's the rule. Stupid rule, yes.
The two reds cost you and they were deserved. Stupid by both players.

The problem is not just that the rule is stupid and unfair to defenders who don't have time to move their arms. It's that it's very inconsistently enforced.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The problem is not just that the rule is stupid and unfair to defenders who don't have time to move their arms. It's that it's very inconsistently enforced.

When I was young I was was a ref (besides playing football). They told us how to judge a handball. THe player had to do it with intention. No intention, no handball. Easy and good. Then they changed the rule.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was also inconsistently enforced in that game. A ball hit Sane's hand in the box, and nothing was called.

They make up the penalty rules as they go along. Its not only that referees fault, but they need to better clarify this rule. They should make the rule any ball that hits the hand that has a consequential impact on play is a penalty.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It was also inconsistently enforced in that game. A ball hit Sane's hand in the box, and nothing was called.

They make up the penalty rules as they go along. Its not only that referees fault, but they need to better clarify this rule. They should make the rule any ball that hits the hand that has a consequential impact on play is a penalty.

8 Fifa guys in Switzerland changed the rules. Zwayer tried to explain after the game why he had to call the handball (in fact it was the VAR in Cologne). Between the lines you could hear how uncomfortable he was. He also doesn't like the rule.

It was always a big advantage how easy football was to understand (not offside) compared to American football, hockey or basketball. This advantagr is gone.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
A lot of common sense has been taken out of the rules... Same thing for me as a referee around the 2000's it was far more easy, most players actually understood the rules quite well because most of them made sense.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
8 Fifa guys in Switzerland changed the rules.

Not that it matters much, but the IFAB is not a FIFA body. It's technically above FIFA. But of course FIFA has had a decisive influence on it ever since they got the plurality of the votes in 1958.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Incredible ending to that game. I think both teams deserved the draw. Each had a chance to win it, but missed goals they should’ve scored. Bayern only gains one point in the title race after the end of this match day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad