Confirmed with Link: Geoff Ward to Coach Mannheim in 2014-2015

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
You could make the argument that they won in spite of him, the PP in the 2011 cup year up until the finals was absolutely terrible. We had enough talent to at least have an average PP for several years and yet we didn't. For a guy who neved played competitive hockey at any significant level ( Junior A/US college) he's done pretty well for himself, I still think we can upgrade here.

Ward, as the coach of the Bruins forwards, NOT JUST the PP, played a key role in the Cup win (read "Full 60 to History" for some insight) and coached one of the top offenses in the NHL for several years. Unfortunately the nature of being an assistant means not getting deserved credit and being an easy scapegoat.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You people are ****ing monsters.

The guy was a member of the coaching staff during what has been the most successful run this organization had in nearly 40 years.

I hope he has a lot of success and say thanks for playing a role in a big turnaround here.

Well said Mike.

The way people are spewing vitriol in here you'd think Ward did something to them personally.:shakehead:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I doubt that would happen but would love to see Savvy behind the bench.

I would love that but is he even allowed inside a lightened room? I remember reading that his concussions were so bad, he had to live in the dark.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I doubt that would happen but would love to see Savvy behind the bench.

I agree - I think Marc would have to give up his LTIR money if he took another job in the NHL. I don't think you can be contracted as a player at the same time as having a full time position in management.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Thank God. Only Savard and Krug kept this PP relevant.

Nly thing I give him credit for is the Toronto comeback, those 2 goals with Rask pulled.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Well said Mike.

The way people are spewing vitriol in here you'd think Ward did something to them personally.:shakehead:

Nothing personal at all, like many others I have always felt he was the weak link on our coaching staff and that we can do better. I wish him all the best in his new adventure in Germany.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I also think an NHL coaching job might be difficult for Savard if he was inclined to coaching. A lot of stress and travel comes with the job.

I am quite happy that Ward won't be in charge of the PP anymore and wish him the best in Germany.

David Krejci*

Why in the whole wide world of **** would he want to do this? He's not German, right?? Isn't he Canadian? Why the hell would you give up an NHL job (even if it is an assistant coach instead of a head) to go be a head coach in some second rate league in a country that you have no connection to??

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
eCUc4gw.gif

Came in here to post this.

Good luck to Ward in Germany.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I also think an NHL coaching job might be difficult for Savard if he was inclined to coaching. A lot of stress and travel comes with the job.

I am quite happy that Ward won't be in charge of the PP anymore and wish him the best in Germany.

I am not saying Ward was good with the pp but I am of the belief that the bruins do not have great up front talent to have a great powerplay. We are a 5 on 5 team in my mind and if the pp is as good as it was in 2013-14 I am thrilled with that.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Why in the whole wide world of **** would he want to do this? He's not German, right?? Isn't he Canadian? Why the hell would you give up an NHL job (even if it is an assistant coach instead of a head) to go be a head coach in some second rate league in a country that you have no connection to??

He already has DEL coaching experience. It's not the NHL, but the league is the highest level in the country, and has a ton of North American players to boot.

And iirc, Mike Keenan is not Russian.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

He already coached a German team and he and his wife enjoyed living over here.

Obviously, leaving the NHL to coach in Germany (which is at best a third rate league btw ;)) is kind of a downgrade. But maybe he seeked a new challenge. In Boston he was "just" an assistant coach, in Mannheim he can coach the way he wants. The team will play by his philosophy and noone else's.
(And he already played a role in the player-signings announced today).

Furthermore, he gets paid well I can assume.

Let's just hope for his sake that the fanbase over here has patience with him. They don't really like his style.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Definitely good luck to Ward, but I am very interested to see who comes in to coach the PP. Maybe we can get some fresh new ideas/looks in here to improve the thing, which wasn't bad this year obviously, but I still think could be better. Oates is a really cool suggestion.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I would love that but is he even allowed inside a lightened room? I remember reading that his concussions were so bad, he had to live in the dark.

Almost everyone who suffers a severe concussion is sensitive to light and noise in the immediate aftermath, but that was three years ago. Savard still suffers from post-concussion syndrome (headaches, forgetfulness), but he's far from an invalid. As I posted earlier, he's since gotten married (and honeymooned in the South Pacific), is a new father, and helps coach his sons' hockey teams. He can't play in the NHL, but he hasn't turned into a vampire.

I'd love to see him coach for the Bruins, but as I also noted earlier, I just don't see it happening.

PS: if you want to keep up with him, Savard has a twitter account - @MSavvy91

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
He already has DEL coaching experience. It's not the NHL, but the league is the highest level in the country, and has a ton of North American players to boot.

Neither is Dave King.

King_of_Russia_A_Year_in_the_Russian_Super_League-119198626643856.jpg

It'd be a pretty boring world if nobody ever ventured beyond his own borders. :)

David Krejci*

I would understand if he couldn't get a job in the NHL, but he had one and resigned from it. Just a weird move, I don't know.

He already coached a German team and he and his wife enjoyed living over here.

Obviously, leaving the NHL to coach in Germany (which is at best a third rate league btw ;)) is kind of a downgrade. But maybe he seeked a new challenge. In Boston he was "just" an assistant coach, in Mannheim he can coach the way he wants. The team will play by his philosophy and noone else's.
(And he already played a role in the player-signings announced today).

Furthermore, he gets paid well I can assume.

Let's just hope for his sake that the fanbase over here has patience with him. They don't really like his style.

That makes a little more sense, but still. Especially since he has a wife (kids?), I would think they'd rather stay in the US or Canada and be closer to family and stuff, and be in the consensus number 1 league in the world, but maybe not? Like I said, just a weird move. Would a head coach in Germany make more than an assistant coach in the NHL?

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
That makes a little more sense, but still. Especially since he has a wife (kids?), I would think they'd rather stay in the US or Canada and be closer to family and stuff, and be in the consensus number 1 league in the world, but maybe not? Like I said, just a weird move. Would a head coach in Germany make more than an assistant coach in the NHL?

Yes, he has 4 kids (7 - 16 years old) who stay in Boston ... or just 2 of them, I don't remember.

As to his salary: I don't know how much an assistant coach in the NHL makes. Neither do I know how much a head coach over here makes, but I do know that Mannheim pays very well for German standards.

I guess he just wants to be head coach again. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad