Confirmed with Link: Geoff Ward to Coach Mannheim in 2014-2015

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nothing wrong with the power play at the moment. Not sure if 'Oatsie' would enjoy Claude's no asst. coach talking to media rule.

in all fairness, there aren`t a ton of assistant coaches talking to the media and for a reason, even more mundane, cliche` ridden stuff than we already are force fed:laugh:

HanktheHammer*

Geoff Ward must see that coaching jobs in the NHL are drying up for him. What happened to him being the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks? Coaching in Germany is a step backward for him. Ward is better off coaching in Junior. It worked for Ted Nolan and Dale Hunter. If Ward coaches in Germany, he won't be back in the NHL for another 4 years at the least. People tend to forget those that are on the rise, but don't capitalize on their opportunities.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Neely was more successful with Janney....

A very rarely stated point.

Janney was the better skater, the more traditional, fluid puck mover. But he was nowhere near the one-on-one battler that Oates was, nowhere near as competitive. Oates was also a pretty awesome finisher for a guy who brought little in the way of size or speed to the rink (45 goals in 92-93!). I am among the minority who think of Neely with Janney more than Neely with Oates (Neely's injuries notwithstanding -- Oates never had a fully healthy Neely and look at 93-94), but in retrospect I totally see why Sinden preferred Oates.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I actually visited here to note that good buddy Heiko Oldorp advised me of this rumor back around the Olympics and he wasn't around at the time so I spotted Geoff Ward and Doug Houda in the lunch line (as they were accustomed to do before home games -- always carryout with them) so I snuck up on Ward somewhere around the vegetable trays and told him something like, "Heiko told me there's a story going around in Germany that you're going to coach Mannheim. Any truth to that?"
Ward acted surprised and shook his head with a smile. "So," I say, "that means there's nothing to this?" He said something like "first I've heard about it" and shook his head no in a dismissal manner.
Gotta admit I bought his response. If it was a big, fat lie at that time, he's a pretty solid actor.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Geoff Ward must see that coaching jobs in the NHL are drying up for him. What happened to him being the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks? Coaching in Germany is a step backward for him. Ward is better off coaching in Junior. It worked for Ted Nolan and Dale Hunter. If Ward coaches in Germany, he won't be back in the NHL for another 4 years at the least. People tend to forget those that are on the rise, but don't capitalize on their opportunities.

Who on earth ever said Ward was going to be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

HanktheHammer*

Who on earth ever said Ward was going to be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Darren Dreger from TSN stated Ward would be a candidate for the head coaching job in Vancouver. He speculated on that notion once Benning was hired to be thhe new GM of the Canucks. Dreger stated it on a TSN Insider segment during the playoffs.

HanktheHammer*

Not me, but I'll admit wondering if Jim Benning would grab Doug Houda for it.

Willie Desjardin will get the job because he has an interview with Vancouver. The Canucks have to have someone in place by the NHL Draft in Philadelphia.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Darren Dreger from TSN stated Ward would be a candidate for the head coaching job in Vancouver. He speculated on that notion once Benning was hired to be thhe new GM of the Canucks. Dreger stated it on a TSN Insider segment during the playoffs.

Darren Dreger spitballing is not Ward "being the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks," sorry. :laugh:

HanktheHammer*

They already hired Desjardins.

I mentioned that the Canucks are having an interview with Willie Desjardins earlier. I'm surprised that the Canucks would take Desjardins when he had his heart set on the Penguins. It was logical to think Benning would take someone(Houda, Cassidy) along with him to Vancouver. I know I would take somebody that I'm familiar with when I heading for a rebuild like in Vancouver

HanktheHammer*

Darren Dreger spitballing is not Ward "being the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks," sorry. :laugh:

Dreger gets paid to do that. FYI, whenever he has info on the Leafs, believe it because he and Dave Nonis are first-cousins.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I mentioned that the Canucks are having an interview with Willie Desjardins earlier. I'm surprised that the Canucks would take Desjardins when he had his heart set on the Penguins. It was logical to think Benning would take someone(Houda, Cassidy) along with him to Vancouver. I know I would take somebody that I'm familiar with when I heading for a rebuild like in Vancouver

Just because a coach is familiar, doesn't mean he's the best candidate available. Desjardins just won a Calder Cup.

HanktheHammer*

Just because a coach is familiar, doesn't mean he's the best candidate available. Desjardins just won a Calder Cup.

I would prefer a coach that I know and trust, someone who can do more with less. The Canucks are in a rebuild, they are in a stage of denial. Yes, Desjardins won a Calder Cup, the Dallas Stars organization has a great cast of young prospects. The Texas Stars wasn't a veteran crew that won the Calder Cup.

HanktheHammer*

I didn't know the Leafs were the Canucks. Silly me.

I wasn't trying to confuse you with the Leafs being the Canucks. I was just pointing out a family genealogical history between both men.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm pretty sure Kypreos tweeted Ferguson could end up as the assistant GM not assistant coach.

And if I remember the tweet correctly, that's not happening either. No one from outside the organization is going to be named assistant GM

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
For the people who like to keep track of former Bruins:

Geoff Ward just won the Cup with Mannheim in Germany. :)

His team won the regular season convincingly.
They won the 3 series and lost just 3 matches in the process. (4:1, 4:0, 4:2)

They trailed in the Finals 2:1 after being absolutely crushed at home in game 3. But Ward managed to turn the series around.

He did one hell of a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad