Confirmed with Link: Geoff Ward to Coach Mannheim in 2014-2015

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Really looking forward to seeing what all our talent can do on an actual PP... If Oates doesn't get a HC job, by all means, get him here. It's too bad Savvy can't retire, he knows this group and he knows how to run a PP as well as anyone in the world.

By that logic Gretzky would be the best coach in NHL history. But he wasn't, was he?

You cannot teach talent and vision.
Obviously Savard knows how to run a PP, he knows how to find those passing lanes even if they're not there.
But be excellent as a player doesn't mean you're excellent as a coach as well.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Is he to blame for coaching the a top 5 power play in 08-09? In 09-10 the power play was something like 25% with Savvy and 12% without or something ridiculous...is that because of Geoff Ward?

Phil Kessel not being on the team had a lot to do with the % drop from 09' to 10'. Along with a heck a lot of injuries and Wideman's drop in offensive performance.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Can't wait til HF fires the next PP coach too. Since Ward did such a horrific job, what do we expect from the next guy.. 30%? 35? :amazed:

Just give me no Chara on the PP and the next guy can do whatever he wants.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Give me a coach that can set Chara up on the powerplay with enough room + time to let off the strongest shot in the league.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Just give me no Chara on the PP and the next guy can do whatever he wants.

This.

At his advancing age, the ice time management begins with no more powerplay time. We have two guys who can play the point (Doug and Torey) and have a 4 forward alignment. The only time I want him on the powerplay next year is if it's a late powerplay and we have a lead or it's late in the powerplay and their is a face off.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
By that logic Gretzky would be the best coach in NHL history. But he wasn't, was he?

You cannot teach talent and vision.
Obviously Savard knows how to run a PP, he knows how to find those passing lanes even if they're not there.
But be excellent as a player doesn't mean you're excellent as a coach as well.

It's different, Gretzky was a head coach. A lot more to coaching than an offensive mind. Oates was a head coach, same reason why he wasn't a good one. Go through a list of top playmakers to ever play in this league, you won't go far without finding Oates.

No, you can't teach talent and vision. But like Houda who runs the PK, Ward/the replacement runs the PP. Obviously more to the job than that, but Oates has head coach experience as well. You certainly can teach players to be selfish. A lot of our players (looking mainly at Lucic, Krejci, and Eriksson from last year) need to stop forcing passes when it isn't there. Look at Krug, Hamilton, Iginla, Bergeron at times... When they shoot, even if it's a lousy shot, sometimes it makes its way in. At worst, you put pressure on the goalie and you have the chance for a rebound. When you force a pass through 3 people, you lose the puck and its cleared. Really think a lot of that is coaching, especially when in the Montreal series they all constantly had their heads pointed at Iginla. So predictable. But a lot definitely could be players.

I wasn't a fan of him... Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I have not liked it in years. The team becomes too focused on getting the puck to him. This season we had a functional powerplay for the first time since Savvy left. Why? No Zee on the point.

And I personally feel that his slapshot is overrated. Is it one of the fastest in the league? Sure. But is it one of the most accurate in the league? No. And is his release one of the best in the league? No.

I think our PP improved last year for several reasons (Krug and Hamilton certainly helped), but taking Z off the point may have been the biggest factor. There's certainly a compelling debate about the amount of PP time Z should be receiving, and I don't feel too strongly one way or the other, but IF he is on a PP- I don't want him at the point.

Maybe I'll eat crow in a year, but I don't see this coaching change as being the godsend that many make it out to be. Ward was by no means a strategical genius, but he wasn't an incompetent fool either.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
agreed. I don't Necessarily put that on Chara. Weber @ the point for the bruins would have the same result IMO

I liked Chara on the PP when he was parked in front of the net screening the goaltender. I don't like him on the point.

OTOH having him screen the goaltender means he gets hit more and at this stage of his career it is about keeping him healthy & rested.

Decisions, decisions.....

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
It's sad to see how much disrespect there is here towards Ward.

Did we have a bad PP for much of his tenure? Sure, for the most part. But can we stop treating this guy like that's the only thing he does?

Does anybody even consider the overall influence and quality of character and coaching he brought for 7 years? I've always liked Ward, and given that he's been here for as long as he has, says a lot about his relationship with Claude and the players.

So, as he's on the way out the door, all I can do is thank him for his time and his contributions towards turning this franchise around and playing a role in it's first Stanley Cup in 30 years.

But go ahead BRUINS fans, continue disrespecting members of your coaching staff as they move on...

qc

Aug 23, 2011
eCUc4gw.gif

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You people are ****ing monsters.

The guy was a member of the coaching staff during what has been the most successful run this organization had in nearly 40 years.

I hope he has a lot of success and say thanks for playing a role in a big turnaround here.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
You people are ****ing monsters.

The guy was a member of the coaching staff during what has been the most successful run this organization had in nearly 40 years.

I hope he has a lot of success and say thanks for playing a role in a big turnaround here.

You could make the argument that they won in spite of him, the PP in the 2011 cup year up until the finals was absolutely terrible. We had enough talent to at least have an average PP for several years and yet we didn't. For a guy who neved played competitive hockey at any significant level ( Junior A/US college) he's done pretty well for himself, I still think we can upgrade here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad