News Article: Geoff Molson re-affirms confidence in Marc Bergevin, will not hire a president of hockey operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agreed. They actually had a more legit chance in 2014. In 2010 you could see they were out of gas in the semis. If not for Price injury I think we would have got into the Finals in 2014. Heck we won two games with that noname kid Tokarski, imagine with Price.

It's honestly incredible they were able to win 2 games with Tokarski. Yeah he did well but sometime a goalie does well because of the team in front of him and i think it was one of those case. Tokarski was a bad goalie and really did not have what it takes in him to be good in a semi-final series. Team had a legitimate chance to make the final with Price.

Reactions: Paddyjack

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There's nothing special about Gally, give him the money and if he's smart he will take it.

Now if Bergevin is smart the time to let him go would be now.

If Gallagher wants 7-8 years i would hesitate a lot. His kind of players often slow down early in their 30ies. 7 years would put him at 35 the last season and 8 years at 36. Unless it's not 6+ millions not sure i would sign that.

Reactions: the

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If Gallagher wants 7-8 years i would hesitate a lot. His kind of players often slow down early in their 30ies. 7 years would put him at 35 the last season and 8 years at 36. Unless it's not 6+ millions not sure i would sign that.
I'd trade Gallagher. Good soldier to have, but if he wants this long deal, pass, I'm more interested in the possible return.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Eric Engels smoked him in a professional manner without resorting to being Brendan Kelly. I was not expecting that. When this ends with Bergevin, I can't see Molson staying in the spotlight. He'll hire someone and back away.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
We shouldn't expect a President of Hockey Ops until the management team is fired. They will not bring one in to suddenly be the bridge between GM and owner. After 8 years of Molson and MB working close together, if Molson brings in a President, then it's kind of saying that he feels MB needs more supervision. And the day he decides that is the day he will no longer trust MB. He won't keep him on board if he doesn't trust him in his work.

So a President of Hockey Ops will only come in if/when he gets rid of MB.

What do you mean? I'm confident MB will be named President of Hockey Operation and will get to hire his replacement. I heard Timmins is taking French lessons lately...

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
At some point this season I hoped that the fans would just stop going to the games. Under 12'000 out of 21'000 would be a strong statement that the fans arent ok with all that BS. But for some reasons the Habs are such a prestigious franchise that if you ever get the chance to go in the Centre Bell for the experience, you just go.

boo'ing Marc Bergevin in front of cameras would be another good chance to show our displeasure but he will never expose himself to that risk.

A solution would be to Chant " OUR GM SUCKS " in a game, non stop for 4-5games straight until something happens. But I doubt that everyone will tag along or get the heads up to do so.

Anyhoo, when is marc's contract due ?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
UnfitWeirdIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mol$on actually thinks that he and the Clown are doing a good job......................so when he gets interviewed why does the media not ask the harder questions regarding ZERO results? How can you do a good job, and continually lose in a pro sports setting?

[MOD]

What Mol$on has done to the Habs since buying the team is downright embarassing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Man I wish Molson would sell to some uber rich die hard Canadiens fan who's only goal is to win a Cup and put the right people in place to do it.

Those are contradictory terms. If he is rich his only goal is not the cup. And if his only goal is the cup, well then he ain't rich.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

6 year term fits. Age 29-34. Gallagher can then sign another deal and avoid the 35+ contract. 6 years at $7.5M is my guess. But I think Gallagher will start in the $8M-$9M range in negotiations. Maybe with a flat gap growth, Gallagher is ok with 6 years at $7M with most of it paid in July. I'm pretty sure Bergevin tries to lock him up before next season starts

Decline for Gallagher? Not worried about it cause he is is very good shape and he is not an elite level skater where those who do live with that in their 20's and loose it a bit in their 30's are more prone to decline... like Gomez. Gallagher does have a lot of miles on him though.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You guys surprised at what Molson said? I'm not. Same consistent message (like it or not).

Those who want the true rebuild are going to have to wait for a few years yet. Price and Weber will have to demand trades to force it IMO. Might happen in 2 or 3 seasons and I think the timing might work out well with less term left for them and a much higher salary cap.

I think it's time to makes some moves to add key pieces. Don't have to use all of our valuable futures to do it too. Bergevin has 2 more years left. I do believe he will get a bit more aggressive and it's a bit scary. I'm open to it depending on what circumstance we take advantage of

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What do you mean? I'm confident MB will be named President of Hockey Operation and will get to hire his replacement. I heard Timmins is taking French lessons lately...
You kinda misunderstood. He's taking lessons alright but they're French-kissing lessons.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Molson has outed himself as the real problem with this team and he is perfectly happy with letting the mediocrity continue.

I already knew this but his continued belief in bergevin proves he is way over his head as president, he is delusional and incredibly stubborn as well

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
At some point this season I hoped that the fans would just stop going to the games. Under 12'000 out of 21'000 would be a strong statement that the fans arent ok with all that BS. But for some reasons the Habs are such a prestigious franchise that if you ever get the chance to go in the Centre Bell for the experience, you just go.

boo'ing Marc Bergevin in front of cameras would be another good chance to show our displeasure but he will never expose himself to that risk.

A solution would be to Chant " OUR GM SUCKS " in a game, non stop for 4-5games straight until something happens. But I doubt that everyone will tag along or get the heads up to do so.

Anyhoo, when is marc's contract due ?

T-Shirt Guy valiantly tried embarrassing MB and Molson in front of cameras in what feels like centuries ago. I think a drastic decrease in attendance would be the only thing to get Molson's attention, it's only about dollars and cents with that ass.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
We shouldn't expect a President of Hockey Ops until the management team is fired. They will not bring one in to suddenly be the bridge between GM and owner. After 8 years of Molson and MB working close together, if Molson brings in a President, then it's kind of saying that he feels MB needs more supervision. And the day he decides that is the day he will no longer trust MB. He won't keep him on board if he doesn't trust him in his work.

So a President of Hockey Ops will only come in if/when he gets rid of MB.

This is what i believe too , and to add to what you said … Remember a few days ago the rumour of Vincent Damphousse being the next president ?

I think it was Rejean Tremblay who got the "scoop" , I think he said that Molson was in favor of a president but Bergevin is/was able to convice Molson that he doesnt need someone between him and the Boss. From what i remember Molson bought what Bergevin sold and put the idea of a president on hold.

Reactions: Pickles

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

That is actually a possibility. That MB is the one promoted to the President of Hockey Ops spot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This is what i believe too , and to add to what you said … Remember a few days ago the rumour of Vincent Damphousse being the next president ?

I think it was Rejean Tremblay who got the "scoop" , I think he said that Molson was in favor of a president but Bergevin is/was able to convice Molson that he doesnt need someone between him and the Boss. From what i remember Molson bought what Bergevin sold and put the idea of a president on hold.

I hadn't read Tremblay's article. But I think him naming Damphousse was more of him saying he thinks that Damphousse would be a good candidate for that.

As for Molson looking to add a President and MB convinced him not to hire one is something I didn't know. Interesting.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I hope you know as a journalist and a screenwriter, Rejean is first and foremost a fiction writer.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Unfortunately the only thing that will solve this is if fans stop going to the Bell Centre.

This really sucks because our young guys are about to start playing for us. I really hope Cash Money Molson figures this out sooner than later, or else risk alienating players like KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau, Caufield from a toxic situation...

We are halfway stuck between being wannabe contenders now with Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Weber, Petry and Price compared to the former guys who won’t be ready fo a number of years. Oy vey what a time to be a Habs fan

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Unfortunately the only thing that will solve this is if fans stop going to the Bell Centre.

This really sucks because our young guys are about to start playing for us. I really hope Cash Money Molson figures this out sooner than later, or else risk alienating players like KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau, Caufield from a toxic situation...

We are halfway stuck between being wannabe contenders now with Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Weber, Petry and Price compared to the former guys who won’t be ready fo a number of years. Oy vey what a time to be a Habs fan
It took covid, but that has happened lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad