News Article: Geoff Molson re-affirms confidence in Marc Bergevin, will not hire a president of hockey operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still say you 100% don't bring in a president of hockey ops until you fire Bergevin. It's just completely illogical. "Hey Mr Gm - we have faith in you to continue to do the GM job....but we're adding a boss over you for added oversight to run your decisions through". That's idiotic. You either trust him or you don't, and if you don't, you fire him.

It doesn't mean i don't think they should fire Bergevin and go ahead with a president & GM structure - i'm just saying, if their decision is to keep Bergevin - bringing in a president on top of him would be stupid.

It would be equivalent to having Julien remain coach, but naming a "super head-coach" above him next season whose really in charge.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
nmrsMrs.jpg

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I still say you 100% don't bring in a president of hockey ops until you fire Bergevin. It's just completely illogical. "Hey Mr Gm - we have faith in you to continue to do the GM job....but we're adding a boss over you for added oversight to run your decisions through". That's idiotic. You either trust him or you don't, and if you don't, you fire him.

It doesn't mean i don't think they should fire Bergevin and go ahead with a president & GM structure - i'm just saying, if their decision is to keep Bergevin - bringing in a president on top of him would be stupid.

It would be equivalent to having Julien remain coach, but naming a "super head-coach" above him next season whose really in charge.
Your analogy is just wrong. You don't hire a president just to oversee the GM. A president role is not the same as the GM but it is to make sure that hockey operation is well run and lead. A good president must have previous experience in hockey and hockey operations so he can rectify what is wrong and guide. Right now our president is Molson and he has no clue on how hockey operations are run (it is quite obvious now), so Marc Bergevin can do whatever he wants and just request the signature at the end. With a real President that has experience, he will challenge and engage into discussion like long term vision, team identity, salary cap structure, player development structure, etc.

Well actually the super head-coach as you mention it is the GM.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Your analogy is just wrong. You don't hire a president just to oversee the GM. A president role is not the same as the GM but it is to make sure that hockey operation is well run and lead. A good president must have previous experience in hockey and hockey operations so he can rectify what is wrong.

Well actually the super head-coach as you mention it is the GM.

Geoff Molson knows nothing about hockey, nothing about what it takes to create a successful team, a good development staff, a good scouting staff, etc.

Bergevin is only accountable to Molson but Molson doesn't know nearly enough so he has to rely on what Bergevin is telling him. Bergevin is a snake oil salesmen, he can definitely dupe people who lack critical thinking skills and the ability to identify actual issues.

By installing a president of hockey operations, you have someone who can bridge the corporate gap and the hockey gap so that Molson can take an experienced ear who can accurately assess the performance of the staff as a whole. Molson isn't going to get him to fire Sylvain Lefebvre (his buddy) because Bergevin can say he's not developing players because he didn't have high picks and those picks were traded to make the team get to the play-offs. Molson can't refute that without a hockey background and will take it at face value.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We shouldn't expect a President of Hockey Ops until the management team is fired. They will not bring one in to suddenly be the bridge between GM and owner. After 8 years of Molson and MB working close together, if Molson brings in a President, then it's kind of saying that he feels MB needs more supervision. And the day he decides that is the day he will no longer trust MB. He won't keep him on board if he doesn't trust him in his work.

So a President of Hockey Ops will only come in if/when he gets rid of MB.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Problem is Molson won’t sell the team. Not only has his purchase been very profitable, there’s a legacy aspect to it as his family (family’s company) owned the team previously. He’s also fairly young. Expect the idiocy to continue for a while.

I don’t even bother tuning into games the majority of times, whereas 10 years ago I wouldn’t have missed a single game. I can’t be the only one. But there’s still 21,000 people willing to go 41 times a year.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He's rewarding him for proving the naysayers wrong and making the playoffs.

Reactions: The Real Timo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad