News Article: Geoff Molson re-affirms confidence in Marc Bergevin, will not hire a president of hockey operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Eh, maybe, but as elite as Markov was, it's hard to reconcile one player, however good he is, with getting shutout three times in a 5 game loss.

Habs were dominant against Philly in the season when Markov was there. You can't rely on the score itself.

Also, go look at the difference with and without Markov in that season. He came back around game 35 and Habs were close to ,500 hockey and Gomez getting 0.50 ppg. Then Markov comes back, +0.630 win% and Gomez goes almost ppg for the reat of the season. The entire dynamics of the team changed when he was or wasn't around.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Pride precedes a fall they say. Businessman Geoff Molson might believe he's the twin brother of adept Bruins President Cam Neely, but he's deluding himself. His two-headed pronouncement couldn't be worse. Keeping Marc Bergevin on staff and not hiring a president have doused the enthusiasm generated by the upcoming play-in series with the Penguins.

Reactions: BLONG7

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well, get used to more of the same guys, we have seen what Bergevin has done when he needed to add to a decent team and we have seen his efforts to rebuild or even acknowledge one for that matter. He is not going to do anything different while he is GM, fast forward the calendar to 2025 and nothing will have changed under his leadership. f*** you Molson!

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
What experience? I don't understand, he was an assistant GM for 11 months and his track record in MTL speaks for itself. The only reason he got the job is because he's a local boy and we're one of the only teams that self-imposes these kind of restrictions for hiring at the most critical positions.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Price and Weber need to take Richie Rich, for a long walk...
I expect that Weber could choose to retire at any time, he is becoming broken down, 1-2 years left in him max. Price and Gallagher are the two that could want out especially Gally, I can't see such a competitive player as him being content to accept losing like this. I am keeping my fingers crossed about those two, it's really our only hope of getting rid of MB.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
At my work there's a VP who's boss thinks they're like the smartest person to ever work for them and that they will be a CEO one day... It shocked me to hear that line of thought because they're honestly one of the least emotionally intelligent persons I've ever met in a role above me, it's almost impressive how little of a pulse they have on some stuff. Point of the story I guess sometimes I read and hear this stuff from Geoff and I'm like it's gotta be all show, but then sometimes I'm not so sure lol

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
A leader is supposed to lead. So MB being an idiot, is not excused, however it is the sole responsibility of the owner. In this case the bigger idiot MB.

Though to be fair, i think his statement today is purely financial. He ain't spending on a president, while he pays himself, and he ain't paying to replace MB. And until the world is back to normal, i understand that, however dont understand why he had to say it .

How much does he pay himself?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I honestly think if the Habs make the playoffs in the next couple of seasons (by normal means) Bergevin will get extended.

To be honest i'm surprised he isn't already extended.......When they won 7 of 10 before the christmas break i though that was the prefect time for them to sneak it through.......

I guess it was too early....

Reactions: Runner77

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
if only we were as successful. Molson is more like a cheap beer salesman who's convinced his product is world class, but it's actually tepid urine

The Bergevin, Molson connection has just killed the franchise........

When i say killed the franchise i don't mean relocation or folding the franchise, i'm just talking about never ending no mans land....

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting to hear where he's at, sounds like more of the same with the 'make the playoffs' mentality.

I really do believe they may be on the right track (with emphasis on the word may). It's all dependent on finding a lot more talent in the draft though. We shall see.

Talk doesn't move the needle, it takes good decisions, lots of them.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I expect that Weber could choose to retire at any time, he is becoming broken down, 1-2 years left in him max. Price and Gallagher are the two that could want out especially Gally, I can't see such a competitive player as him being content to accept losing like this. I am keeping my fingers crossed about those two, it's really our only hope of getting rid of MB.

There's nothing special about Gally, give him the money and if he's smart he will take it.

Now if Bergevin is smart the time to let him go would be now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad