News Article: Geoff Molson re-affirms confidence in Marc Bergevin, will not hire a president of hockey operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
How so? A person from Quebec pumps another Quebecers tires, so what? He has been here how many years? We are at the cap, no game changers in the system and none on the horizon. The team is worse off than when he started. We have been a bubble team for ever, struggling to make the playoffs. If Robitaille thinks so highly of him he can have him, please take him. Every year you tell us about our great prospects, I don't see it. Suzuki is the only first line player he has developed in 10 yrs, and he wasn't drafted by us. I don't see another first liner, forward or defense or goal for that matter. That is pathetic.

How are these posts allowed on this board? 'A person from Quebec pumps another Quebecers tires, so what?'

WTF.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Nah, it's pretty simple. It's evidence from NHL management that Bergevin is not this complete idiot.

Nah. Since you won't find an executive from Team_Y being openly critical of how executive from Team_Z is running his team. It's not evidence since pumping the tires of another team management (when asked about it by the media) is the norm in the NHL.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't think many people do genuinely think he's a horrifically awful bottom 3 GM in the league, but I just don't understand how anyone can look at his tenure and think it's been good enough that he should stick around. The fact that the GMOTY and Jack Adams awards are just a who made the 2nd round unexpectedly award does not mean that there's no way to evaluate a GM's decision making, especially someone who's been around for 10 years. It's just simply time for a change, no he is not a horrendous terrible GM that ruined everything forever, but "not terrible" is not good enough.

This is now the 3rd time in his tenure (and would be the fourth without the covid bubble playoffs) where we're tanking while he intended to compete. 15-16 and 17-18 were both intended to be playoff years, and this year they traded a 1st round pick for a 2-3C and spent to the cap with the goal of being at worst a bubble team in the 85+ point range, but we're already trending towards a bottom five finish. Why should he get to stick around for the third top-10 pick after years where he intended to compete? He just has no vision beyond "get to the playoffs and see what happens", so I do not want him in charge of another franchise defining "retool" or whatever it'll be branded as this time.

Even if we fired him and ended up with a GM of the same overall quality or a little worse, that would still be a net positive because at the very least you would be making mediocre decisions towards a different philosophy. If the new guy sucks but really values offence or really values physicality at the very least we would be adding some new stylistic element or identity to the team which would be better in aggregate complementing the existing players.

Reactions: Archijerej

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
How are these posts allowed on this board? 'A person from Quebec pumps another Quebecers tires, so what?'

WTF.
That is what you take out of the post? How about a comment on how our GM is doing.

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
How so? A person from Quebec pumps another Quebecers tires, so what? He has been here how many years? We are at the cap, no game changers in the system and none on the horizon. The team is worse off than when he started. We have been a bubble team for ever, struggling to make the playoffs. If Robitaille thinks so highly of him he can have him, please take him. Every year you tell us about our great prospects, I don't see it. Suzuki is the only first line player he has developed in 10 yrs, and he wasn't drafted by us. I don't see another first liner, forward or defense or goal for that matter. That is pathetic.

can I ask how did you view Cole Caufield before the season starts ? And how he went from untouchables to “no good prospects in the pipeline”

I mean things are pretty awful right now but … a lot of exaggeration.

maybe I don’t like eating fish but I just say “I don’t like eating fish” why say “I barf everywhere when I eat fish” to exagerate something I already know

Edit : I don’t see any first line goalie in the prospect pools either

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That is what you take out of the post? How about a comment on how our GM is doing.

Why? So I can offer another non-insightful, tired take in a sea filled with them? I don't care for the GM. Doesn't make what you said okay or the posts here have any sort of depth. I mean, you're on the record as saying you enjoy watching this team lose. Why are you even still here if that's the case?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'd agree that Bergevin isn't a complete idiot and not a total incompetent in his role. However, his overall body of work -as measured by the actual results on the ice as a whole over his tenure - clearly show that he isn't good. Even mediocre performers are capable of doing something great once in a while (assembling a seriously mean D core last year and being able to play to their strengths in the playoffs, for example, and dealing Patches for the return he got).

The teams he's had total control over building for all these years have delivered, on average, not very much. That's the only measure that matters after this length of time.
That's probably the closest to my estimation of Bergevin.

Is he that utterly incompetent idiot as often portrayed on this board? No, he isn't. He has some strong qualities as a GM.

Is he to be trusted, for the third time, to build a contending core and to surround it with a proper supporting cast in order to create a well-oiled team on the ice? Nope. No way. The sample size is enough to answer this question.

Now, it doesn't mean we can't do worse. In fact, I think there's a good chance that we will. People really underestimate the role of the ownership and the difficulty of building a contender while working under a constant mandate to compete for the playoffs every year.

No risk no gain I suppose.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
Why? So I can offer another non-insightful, tired take in a sea filled with them? I don't care for the GM. Doesn't make what you said okay or the posts here have any sort of depth. I mean, you're on the record as saying you enjoy watching this team lose. Why are you even still here if that's the case?
Until management is gone I will cheer for them to lose, yes. He is terrible and the team has no chance of doing anything while he is here. Would you have been as offended had I made the same comment about two Alberta boys. You seem to be overly sensitive about your culture, you don't think it likely that the scenario I painted is true. I just have trouble believing anyone could think of him as a top 10 manager.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
can I ask how did you view Cole Caufield before the season starts ? And how he went from untouchables to “no good prospects in the pipeline”

I mean things are pretty awful right now but … a lot of exaggeration.

maybe I don’t like eating fish but I just say “I don’t like eating fish” why say “I barf everywhere when I eat fish” to exagerate something I already know

Edit : I don’t see any first line goalie in the prospect pools either
I never said he was untouchable. I think most of you put way to much value on our prospect pool. I don't he is a first line player. He is small and easily knocked around. Yes he has a terrific shot, but he is struggling because the league has taken notice of him. Will he figure a way to play and be effective, maybe, but I do not think it will be as a first line player matching up against other first lines.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You don't see anything problematic with asserting - without evidence - that someone's one support to another person is primarily due to a shared cultural background? Really?
I don't know how you got to the cultural aspect? Both guys are from Quebec and how is it wrong to say that Robitaille is pumping the tires of a fellow Quebecer?

Reactions: Runner77

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know how you got to the cultural aspect? Both guys are from Quebec and how is it wrong to say that Robitaille is pumping the tires of a fellow Quebecer?

He's (I'm being charitable here) implying bias due to their cultural background (i.e., Robitaille's only pumping him up because they're French-Canadians). I mean, please, tell me I don't have to explain to you why that's ill-spirited?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Until management is gone I will cheer for them to lose, yes. He is terrible and the team has no chance of doing anything while he is here. Would you have been as offended had I made the same comment about two Alberta boys. You seem to be overly sensitive about your culture, you don't think it likely that the scenario I painted is true. I just have trouble believing anyone could think of him as a top 10 manager.

I would think it's just as dumb and ill-intended, yes. The problem isn't that scenario is impossible. It's that you'd automatically jump to that without any evidence. Capiche?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's (I'm being charitable here) implying bias due to their cultural background (i.e., Robitaille's only pumping him up because they're French-Canadians). I mean, please, tell me I don't have to explain to you why that's ill-spirited?
Aren't you the one stretching/implying something here? Is it a crime to make an observation based on something that was published with reference to Robitaille saying that fellow Quebecer Bergevin is a good GM?

Bergevin has been anything but a good GM but yet Robitaille feels the need to say that he is, it was just a few years ago when MB along with Chiarelli were called disaster artists by the media, English media in particular. Were they being critical of him based on his cultural heritage or based on the fact that he has been shitty at his job? You tell me.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Blabla reaffirm his confidence in Marc

Marc reaffirm his confidence in the group of player he build. And drop some hot tears for Carey.

The group reaffirm his confidence in the coaching staff.

The coach reaffirm that the group is better than the results and well see succes soon.

The team continues to lose, the coach think he doing a great job but what can he do better with thoses players.

Marc goes to a presser where he let slip that the team is under performing.

The coach goes to Marc and say not cool bro.

The team continues losing

Marc call people around for lateral moves.

The team continue losing

Marc calls Molson. Explain why the coach was the right hire at the time but not the right man for the job now.

Marc fire the coach

Molson reaffirm his confidence in Marc.

Ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad