Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
And that's your opinion.

well... sure, the KHL season ends and the playoffs start at roughly the same time but there would also be the matter of adding a rookie max contract after the trade deadline. it doesn't make much sense to assume that after a full season of hockey, including playoffs, he would want to come and play in a league he doesn't know at all, or that the team would even welcome a new face who openly rejected the franchise just a couple of years ago. lots depends on circumstances - trades, injuries, positioning - but the "opinion" that it's unlikely holds a little more weight in the world of facts.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
well... sure, the KHL season ends and the playoffs start at roughly the same time but there would also be the matter of adding a rookie max contract after the trade deadline. it doesn't make much sense to assume that after a full season of hockey, including playoffs, he would want to come and play in a league he doesn't know at all, or that the team would even welcome a new face who openly rejected the franchise just a couple of years ago. lots depends on circumstances - trades, injuries, positioning - but the "opinion" that it's unlikely holds a little more weight in the world of facts.
when did he openly reject the franchise? I don't recall seeing that unless you refer to him stating the wild didn't show much interest in him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Zero chance that the teams says "no thanks" to Kaprizov coming over if they're still in the playoffs.

Maybe he has nagging injuries from the season and decides not to, but there no chance that the team prevents it.

Reactions: 2Pair

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Zero chance that the teams says "no thanks" to Kaprizov coming over if they're still in the playoffs.

Maybe he has nagging injuries from the season and decides not to, but there no chance that the team prevents it.

prevents it? obviously not. but when you've battled alongside your group the entire season, clinched a playoff spot, and suddenly someone is sitting because of the Russian kid who took a deal in Moscow instead of the NHL? Just saying that in the reality of emotions and egos, it could be disruptive.

And yes, from a hockey sense only, it would be great to add a guy of his skill for no assets. But lots of highway between now and when that decision would have to be made, but mainly I'm not sure whether they could even sign him in April and have him be playoff-eligible and not in violation of his contract. Do we often hear of teams signing KHL players after the trade deadline so that they can use them in the playoffs? Trying to think of an instance. He's not on loan, remember.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Funny i thought Belpedio would be more solid of a player by now. I'm assuming that Mennell is all offense, but defensively challenged, sort of like Hunt, but haven't seen enough of him to say that for sure.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
prevents it? obviously not. but when you've battled alongside your group the entire season, clinched a playoff spot, and suddenly someone is sitting because of the Russian kid who took a deal in Moscow instead of the NHL? Just saying that in the reality of emotions and egos, it could be disruptive.

And yes, from a hockey sense only, it would be great to add a guy of his skill for no assets. But lots of highway between now and when that decision would have to be made, but mainly I'm not sure whether they could even sign him in April and have him be playoff-eligible and not in violation of his contract. Do we often hear of teams signing KHL players after the trade deadline so that they can use them in the playoffs? Trying to think of an instance. He's not on loan, remember.
I could be mistaken but didn't 2 teams do this last year? I think the blues and vegas did it. unsure if that's the loans youre talking about or not.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The only thing that would make me hesitant to bringing Kap over in the playoffs is burning a year off his ELC, which I assume it would do?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The only thing that would make me hesitant to bringing Kap over in the playoffs is burning a year off his ELC, which I assume it would do?

it's already only a two-year deal max due to his age. if it were legal, then spending that first year on a few games (as they just did with Sturm, for example, though he was on a max one-year) is much less important than winning the Stanley Cup.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I could be mistaken but didn't 2 teams do this last year? I think the blues and vegas did it. unsure if that's the loans youre talking about or not.

I'm asking, honestly. Alexandre Texier, for example, was on loan to the Liiga. Gusev never played a game for Vegas, not sure who you might mean for St. Louis.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

They'll get over it when he starts potting goals.

It was pretty accepted that Vegas would've put Gusev in the lineup if they would've advanced by San Jose. And I don't really know what the difference would be between a KHL player doing it vs. an NCAA player.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
They'll get over it when he starts potting goals.

It was pretty accepted that Vegas would've put Gusev in the lineup if they would've advanced by San Jose. And I don't really know what the difference would be between a KHL player doing it vs. an NCAA player.

I think one guy would be free to sign with the team that holds his rights because he is not under contract, and the other one is under contract to a professional team until KHL free agency begins (July 1st? maybe @Caser or someone can say for sure).

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
it's already only a two-year deal max due to his age. if it were legal, then spending that first year on a few games (as they just did with Sturm, for example, though he was on a max one-year) is much less important than winning the Stanley Cup.

True, if we were in a situation where we were considering bringing him over, it'd already be after a series win, so I guess it'd make sense. Another question I'd have if he would be expansion draft exempt in this situation too?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think one guy would be free to sign with the team that holds his rights because he is not under contract, and the other one is under contract to a professional team until KHL free agency begins (July 1st? maybe @Caser or someone can say for sure).

I wasn't really comparing the legality of the situations; more talking about the team "accepting" the new arrival, who hasn't "battled alongside the group for the entire season". It happens fairly frequently with college players; I'm not sure why KHL players would be looked at any differently.

P10p

May 15, 2012
If Kaprizov keeps improving its possible he could score 35-40 this year. If he does that and then comes here where say a Donato or a Foligno aren't performing. I could very well see giving KK a shot. Heck even a Parise injury is very possible. In that scenario KK would be the perfect option.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

As mentioned it was April, 30th. But yeah, there were Gusev and Gavrikov, who were able to get out of the contract earlier because their team agreed to it, although I heard that the KHL wants to make changes to prevent this kind of "workaround" to be used.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
I don't think playoff games count.

I thought they do, or even showing up to practice counts. That's how Kreider entered the league back then and he burned a year, and that's why Gusev is currently without a contract despite signing a 1 year deal with Vegas for the playoffs despite not playing a shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark