Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Can't say I blame him. He'll get paid a lot more there than here, and he'll be in his native country, which is a lot less work from a culture-change standpoint. I think he'd be a good bottom 6 center in the NHL soon, but I'm not sure about his upside. His offense hasn't really improved in a few years. Maybe he's got another gear, but even then his offense would be just "ok".

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Can't say I blame him. He'll get paid a lot more there than here, and he'll be in his native country, which is a lot less work from a culture-change standpoint. I think he'd be a good bottom 6 center in the NHL soon, but I'm not sure about his upside. His offense hasn't really improved in a few years. Maybe he's got another gear, but even then his offense would be just "ok".

He's already 23 and couldn't stick in a checking role in the KHL. Interesting pick but not a prospect, especially now.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He was getting significant time during the KHL playoffs and was centering Kaprizov.

His average time on ice for the playoffs was 13:35. That's not nothing, of course. But he played less than Grigorenko and Kaprizov and Telegin and even Slepyshev did. He played in the VHL this season. Again, this will be his age 24 season and he's definitely not coming over until 2022 at the earliest.

I mean, in a technical sense, yes, he's a prospect. He appears to be an excellent face-off man, and with that skill, maybe some NHL team shows interest in a few years. Guys with worse stats have been signed by NHL teams but if a guy can't crack the Minnesota Wild's top 20...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can someone find out how many times a highly regarded player has come over from Russia and the team that signed him also signed their linemates from their Russian teams to play with them in the NHL?

If I were a betting man I’d say 0.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Can someone find out how many times a highly regarded player has come over from Russia and the team that signed him also signed their linemates from their Russian teams to play with them in the NHL?

I like to think of myself as a revolutionary.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

And you'd be wrong. Tarasenko + Lehtera are the first ones that come to mind.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lehtera was drafted by the Blues - I don't think that's the situation he's talking about.
"a highly regarded player has come over from Russia and the team that signed him also signed their linemates from their Russian teams to play with them in the NHL?"

I don't know, Tarasenko - Lehtera situation seems to fit the description to a T. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's a lost bet. Yes, as it happens Lehtera was drafted by the Blues but I don't think anyone has any doubt Tarasenko's impact on him coming to NHL, at the ripe age of 26, was huge.

In any case, most teams try to create some familiarity for their young European stars. And bringing in teammates definitely does that. Sure it's a rare situation but you can't say it hasn't happened or won't happen in the future if an opportunity presents itself. It's just that there are very teams in Europe you could bring the guys to the NHL from en masse. Furthermore, only very few top prospects even played on the 1st line/1st pairing before coming to NA. And even fewer played on those with the guys who are free for any NHL team to sign.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
so there is kaprizov and boldy, and then seemingly a cliff dive to the next guy.
how would you guys rate the rest of the group from 3 to 10? any summer polls coming?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Really hard to rank them behind Boldy and Kaprizov.

I'll give it a go:

3. Brennan Menell
4. Mason Shaw
5. Connor Dewar
6. Filip Johansson
7. Alexander Khovanov
8. Ivan Lodnia
9. Dmitri Sokolov
10. Vladislav Firstov

But man, there were at least 5 guys I left off this list that I could put on it another day, depending on mood and what they've done lately. Also their numerical rankings here are just so irrelevant. You could actually just call number them 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d etc. I'm exaggerating a little with that to make the point obvious, but not much.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Really hard to rank them behind Boldy and Kaprizov.

I'll give it a go:

3. Brennan Menell
4. Mason Shaw
5. Connor Dewar
6. Filip Johansson
7. Alexander Khovanov
8. Ivan Lodnia
9. Dmitri Sokolov
10. Vladislav Firstov

But man, there were at least 5 guys I left off this list that I could put on it another day, depending on mood and what they've done lately. Also their numerical rankings here are just so irrelevant. You could actually just call number them 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d etc. I'm exaggerating a little with that to make the point obvious, but not much.

I'm surprised you have Shaw that high - with his apparent knee injuries, I see him as another Cuma. Two big injuries to his knees, it's going to a monumental climb back for him. Sokolov had a rough season as well, I'd drop him out of the top 10. I'm high on him, but until he gets his skating fixed I don't see him making a big impact to the organization. He'll be one of those guys you ask yourself, what if?

For mine?

1/ Matt Boldy
2/ Kirill Kaprizov
3/ Kaapo Kahkonen
4/ Brennan Menell
5/ Connor Dewar
6/ Louis Belpedio
7/ Filip Johansson
8/ Ivan Lodnia
9/ Alexander Khovanov
10/ Will Bitten

HM: Vladislav Firstov, Simon Johansson, Carson Soucy

Reactions: neelynugs

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm surprised you have Shaw that high - with his apparent knee injuries, I see him as another Cuma. Two big injuries to his knees, it's going to a monumental climb back for him. Sokolov had a rough season as well, I'd drop him out of the top 10. I'm high on him, but until he gets his skating fixed I don't see him making a big impact to the organization. He'll be one of those guys you ask yourself, what if?

For mine?

1/ Matt Boldy
2/ Kirill Kaprizov
3/ Kaapo Kahkonen
4/ Brennan Menell
5/ Connor Dewar
6/ Louis Belpedio
7/ Filip Johansson
8/ Ivan Lodnia
9/ Alexander Khovanov
10/ Will Bitten

HM: Vladislav Firstov, Simon Johansson, Carson Soucy

Like I said, there are a fair amount of guys I could move up and down the list easily, and a surprisingly large amount of guys that just barely didn't make my list. Shaw is a guy that I think becomes an NHL level player if he stays healthy. I'm not moving him down my list simply because "What if he doesn't?" If I do that stuff, I won't have a list at all. As for Sokolov, I agree with you completely. I keep him in the top 10 because of his upside, and nothing else. If he doesn't improve, that upside becomes rather irrelevant, and at that point I'll remove him from my list, but not sooner.

I like your list. I considered putting Bitten up on mine as well, due to that second half of last season, and that he seems like he could be a bottom 6 player for the Wild in the relatively near future.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
No love for Jack McBain?

Quickness is an issue but bigger guys often take longer to develop the stamina and power they need to be effective - we're seeing it with Greenway. That said, it's evident he's a tier or two below that kind of potential at this stage.

Wish I could believe in Sokolov but with the improvement in Iowa's depth he's going to have a really hard time. Can't be trusted so he won't get ice time.

Damien Giroux is another forgotten guy. The way Fenton is looking to develop the franchise, I'd put a lot more stock in him than I would guys drafted under Fletch.

I like Dewar but I think people are overestimating him based on a 20-year-old season in a weak league.

Still a lowest-tier pool but having two legit prospects is really nice improvement. Badly need a guy like Marshall Warren to become a middle-pairing player.

Can't wait to watch a lot of college hockey this season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Quickness is an issue but bigger guys often take longer to develop the stamina and power they need to be effective - we're seeing it with Greenway. That said, it's evident he's a tier or two below that kind of potential at this stage.

Wish I could believe in Sokolov but with the improvement in Iowa's depth he's going to have a really hard time. Can't be trusted so he won't get ice time.

Damien Giroux is another forgotten guy. The way Fenton is looking to develop the franchise, I'd put a lot more stock in him than I would guys drafted under Fletch.

I like Dewar but I think people are overestimating him based on a 20-year-old season in a weak league.

But having two legit prospects is really nice improvement.

Can't wait to watch a lot of college hockey this season.

19 year old season. He turned 20 two weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad