Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Lots of failed prospects scored in the AHL. Sokolov has a lot more in common with them than he does guys who make it. Slow feet, poor hockey sense, poor conditioning...

I think Pronman's list is a bit out there, but he does a lot of research so we'll see. I think the Wild's prospects often tend to be guys that are hard to track: they're more likely to be on the penalty kill than the power play. They don't always stick out. If you're watching them, you might notice decent sense, responsibility, solid if unspectacular skating. Other teams have tended to aim a little higher.

His scouting report on Boldy -basically the same he used for the draft coverage - doesn't exactly scream NHLer either. Looking forward to watching him more.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Surprised to see Hentges so high, as no one really talks about him here. Anyone who watches him much see the upside?
Pronman's analysis of him is dead on. He'll be expected to have a bigger role on a younger Husky team but he isn't a guy you notice much but then you look up and he's got 3 points.

Reactions: Wild11MN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Lots of failed prospects scored in the AHL. Sokolov has a lot more in common with them than he does guys who make it. Slow feet, poor hockey sense, poor conditioning...

Oddly, Sokolov was considered to have pretty good hockey sense. But poor conditioning was always a big issue for him.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
a year from now we shall see if sokolov is as good as i think he is or he bellyflops. if im right after 25G in iowa and the wild make the playoffs by some miracle we add sokolov & kaprizov and the magic carpet ride begins.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Played in high school with Hentges. Very good player. Grew a bunch in the last couple years so they are probably projecting he will fill out a little bit more. 5 seems high for him until you realize that we basically have 3 prospects worth mentioning right now.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
a year from now we shall see if sokolov is as good as i think he is or he bellyflops. if im right after 25G in iowa and the wild make the playoffs by some miracle we add sokolov & kaprizov and the magic carpet ride begins.
Keep in mind, the AHL has had tons of players that can score off the charts in the minors, than can't do squat in the NHL. Look at Erik Westrum... 34 goals, 64a, 98pts in the AHL, then came to the NHL, looked embarrassingly bad for 10 games and a single point, then everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him.

I'm not saying doing well offensively in the AHL is a bad thing, but there is more to a prospect than just stats to see if they are an NHL player.

I haven't seen enough of Sokolov to know if his stats are a mirage like Westrum's were... but I do know that there was a lot of complaints about his game down in Iowa last year despite those stats, so it's better to temper the expectations at the moment IMO.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im crossing my fingers that the coaches are being hard on sokolov because he has fantastic potential. obviously any prospect can bust , even o'sullivan had one good nhl year then faded.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Look at Erik Westrum... 34 goals, 64a, 98pts in the AHL, then came to the NHL, looked embarrassingly bad for 10 games and a single point, then everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Uh, only problem with that is Westrum spent 4 seasons in the AHL before arriving in Minnesota. He was also 22-23 years old when he first made it to the AHL and had less goals in his first season in the AHL than Sokolov in more games. You're comparing an Erik Westrum who was 24-25 to a Dmitri Sokolov who is 20-21 years old. Better comparison would be a Rickard Wallin.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Uh, only problem with that is Westrum spent 4 seasons in the AHL before arriving in Minnesota. He was also 22-23 years old when he first made it to the AHL and had less goals in his first season in the AHL than Sokolov in more games. You're comparing an Erik Westrum who was 24-25 to a Dmitri Sokolov who is 20-21 years old. Better comparison would be a Rickard Wallin.
Patrick O'Sullivan

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Patrick O'Sullivan

Are you really comparing a kid that was struggling through some very traumatic childhood history that affected his game, scored 22 goals and 53 points in the NHL to a 7th round rookie that has conditioning issues?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Are you really comparing a kid that was struggling through some very traumatic childhood history that affected his game, scored 22 goals and 53 points in the NHL to a 7th round rookie that has conditioning issues?
Sorry, childhood issues aren't why he scored 93pts for the Aeros and fell flat here.

Also a flash in the pan 50pt season surrounded by greatness that he couldn't repeat doesn't prove anything.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sorry, childhood issues aren't why he scored 93pts for the Aeros and fell flat here.

Also a flash in the pan 50pt season surrounded by greatness that he couldn't repeat doesn't prove anything.

If you read the articles on O'Sullivan, you know why he was a flash in the pan.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Again. Childhood troubles did not cause him to score 93pts in the AHL before falling flat when called up here.

Wait, you realize that he wasn't called up in his rookie season - but 8 years after he was drafted? And that was going through Los Angeles, Edmonton, Phoenix and Carolina? As for his 93 points, doesn't hurt he had Kirby Law as a teammate. That 2005-2006 team was absolute dominate. They had a good mixture of rookies and a good mixture of veterans (though there might have been other issues)...Kirby Law, Curtis Murphy, Erik Westrum, Roman Voloshenko, Matt Foy...

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wait, you realize that he wasn't called up in his rookie season - but 8 years after he was drafted? And that was going through Los Angeles, Edmonton, Phoenix and Carolina? As for his 93 points, doesn't hurt he had Kirby Law as a teammate. That 2005-2006 team was absolute dominate. They had a good mixture of rookies and a good mixture of veterans (though there might have been other issues)...Kirby Law, Curtis Murphy, Erik Westrum, Roman Voloshenko, Matt Foy...
Yes, we traded him smartly (for Denitra), was called up in LA right away and showed why we traded him. Then he played in LA again the following season, road his teammates coat tails to a 50pt season, before again falling flat.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes, we traded him smartly (for Denitra), was called up in LA right away and showed why we traded him. Then he played in LA again the following season, road his teammates coat tails to a 50pt season, before again falling flat.

You keep changing the narrative, I'm done. I've said what I've said, you keep moving the goalposts. I'm done.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Hey guys, I've been going from board to board checking out the top prospects rankings as voted by team board's users and did I just not find yours or you didn't do any? I'm asking because at this point, 15/15 teams I looked had one such ranking.

If you don't, what would be a general ranking of the Wild's top 15 prospects?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Hey guys, I've been going from board to board checking out the top prospects rankings as voted by team board's users and did I just not find yours or you didn't do any? I'm asking because at this point, 15/15 teams I looked had one such ranking.

If you don't, what would be a general ranking of the Wild's top 15 prospects?

1. Kaprizov
1A. Boldy

3 -15 (anyone's guess as to order but I think this would be pretty representative)

Mason Shaw
Alex Khovanov
Hunter Jones
Sam Hentges
Dmitri Sokolov
Jack McBain
Vladislav Firstov
Adam Beckman
Louie Belpedio
Connor Dewar
Kaapo Kahkonen
Mat Robson
Filip Johansson
Ivan Lodnia
Nick Swaney

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We used to do it. Not much prospect excitement at the moment, so it's fallen off.

Mine:

Kaprizov
Boldy
Dewar
Menell
F. Johansson

Khovanov
Sokolov
Kahkkonen
Belpedio
McBain

S. Johansson
Lodnia
Shaw
Robson
Giroux

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Many players who are ill or sick have chronic problems. Injuries and sickness in people seem to beget more of it. This is an observation not some scientific fact, on my part.

Khovanov needs to be at peace with himself and surround himself with positive people. He needs to eat like a health freak.

I take care of patients and it really is an observation of mine that those people who 'can't catch a break' many times have chronic stress due to toxic relationships or are way too hard on themselves, and or also don't take care of their bodies.

I am not blaming Khovanov for OO which is benign, or having Hep, but he needs to be careful with his body and the perceived stressors around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad