Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
He was scratched in 10 of 11 playoff games.

Until he can crack the lineup, putting him ahead of a lot of guys is a stretch.
maybe he dated the coach's daughter? (aka youngblood) for a rookie i thought he did ok , what kind production were all of you expecting from him?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
maybe he dated the coach's daughter? (aka youngblood) for a rookie i thought he did ok , what kind production were all of you expecting from him?

The production was fine. It's only "everything else" that has to get better. No problem!

Quite possibly we see a guy that does what the coaching staff asked of him and who becomes a legit AHL player next season. That's the first step for him toward becoming a legit NHL prospect.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tied for 3rd in goals at 20. Everybody else around him much older. Might end up not meaning a whole lot, but not something to dismiss completely either.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Tied for 3rd in goals at 20. Everybody else around him much older. Might end up not meaning a whole lot, but not something to dismiss completely either.

I'm certainly not dismissing what he's done. The possibility of Kaprizov cycling, Khovanov dishing and Sokolov scoring is a real one.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Maybe he should get good in all aspects of the game. He's not even that good at the one thing he does well.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I wasn't knocking his production, but when everything else is below average, that doesn't crack the top 3 on our prospects list.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
fair enough , im guessing he didn't spend much time playing top 6 so if he does this year i think he'll score 25G. assuming the coach plays him instead of bench him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
fair enough , im guessing he didn't spend much time playing top 6 so if he does this year i think he'll score 25G. assuming the coach plays him instead of bench him.
Who do you expect him to play over and who do you expect him to play under? In other words, what would you have the Iowa lineup as?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
yep im guessing mayhew is #1 rw ; sokolov #2 rw; maybe lodnia #3 rw. confusing part is who plays #1 C? sturm ; Dumont; l Johnson; shaw; anas. then lw probably rau #1 lw; maybe bitten #2 lw just my one cent. should be a very good team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
yep im guessing mayhew is #1 rw ; sokolov #2 rw; maybe lodnia #3 rw. confusing part is who plays #1 C? sturm ; Dumont; l Johnson; shaw; anas. then lw probably rau #1 lw; maybe bitten #2 lw just my one cent. should be a very good team.
i would actually hope khovanov or dewar can really push sturm for the 1C and make iowa strong down the middle.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Nope...it's a rule specific to Canadian Juniors. They can't play in the AHL until they are 20 years old. They can sign their pro deals whenever, they just won't start until they officially turn pro.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Nope...it's a rule specific to Canadian Juniors. They can't play in the AHL until they are 20 years old. They can sign their pro deals whenever, they just won't start until they officially turn pro.
gotcha, I just reread it, says his 3 year deal starts this upcoming season so I thought that meant he is eligible to play in the AHL this upcoming season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
gotcha, I just reread it, says his 3 year deal starts this upcoming season so I thought that meant he is eligible to play in the AHL this upcoming season.

If he was 19 to start the season, but turn 20 before the end of the calendar year he'd be AHL eligible. But since his birthday is in April, he's either CHL or NHL only.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's NHL or CHL only for the kid.

It only starts this season if he plays 10 or more a NHL games which is unlikely, so it's more likely to slide.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Honestly forgot about him. That's probably not a great sign for both him and me.

McBain has mono to start the year.
A big setback, but from what I saw really came on and played well and was killing penalties, playing a real pro game and scoring at the same pace as Wahlstrom without having near the same opportunities.
He then separated his shoulder I believe with 15 games left in season.
Another huge blow, although he played through it.
I really think this kid is a way better prospect than Dewar, Khovanov Sturm etc.
It’s a big year for him, hopefully he stays healthy to have one.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
mcbain has the size and possibly the ability to be another coyle type player , i hope he has a breakout year. how fun would it be to have a handful of prospects doing well and all in a battle royal for a roster spot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, which prospect, if any, contributes to the big club the most this year? Belpedio? Sturm? Mayhew? Shaw? A goalie?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So, which prospect, if any, contributes to the big club the most this year? Belpedio? Sturm? Mayhew? Shaw? A goalie?

Kind of hard to consider Mayhew a prospect - three full seasons out of college and turning 27 this year. Wouldn't be a shock to see Shaw or even Duhaime up before him.

Last memories of Belpedio are not good. He's just not a physically capable defender at the AHL level. The skills are there, but he still lacks footspeed, strength, positioning.

Probably Sturm for me as first forward recalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad