Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like it. It's bold, it's fresh. My only concern is why stop at 3 defensemen? Why not have a roster of 18 defensemen and just rotate them all? We can punt the faceoff, and just have three defensemen at the blue line, and one in each circle.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I like it. It's bold, it's fresh. My only concern is why stop at 3 defensemen? Why not have a roster of 18 defensemen and just rotate them all? We can punt the faceoff, and just have three defensemen at the blue line, and one in each circle.

Score first and then stack 5 defenseman all right in front of the goalie to block shots for the rest of the game. Couple of them might die, but we can replace em.

Reactions: BagHead and fgobuzz

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That doesn't seem like all he does; he has input in their development (hence the player development). Unless the Wild is much more different than any other organization in the league, the director of player development help assist in developing prospects (both on and off the ice), assist in evaluating the team prospects, and possibly other duties (such as the Rangers use Drury to be a liaison between the hockey operations department and the prospects). I think Bombardir has a lot more to do than just watches all of the drafted players for the Wild and that's it.

He's been with the organization since 2010-2011 and the Wild have seen three forwards taken out of the 1st round actually play in the NHL and stick for more than a season; Zucker, Haula, Greenway. Possibly Larsson. He's going to have very little input with Kaprizov.

It's time to get a better director of player development - one that isn't tied to the organization from way back when.

Bolded is almost literally all he does. His title might as well be prospect liaison, but NHL teams get hard on's for titles with VP or Director in them. I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find a single "Director of Player Development" leaguewide that isn't a popular former member of the team.

He doesn't provide on ice tips or coaching (outside of helping during prospect camp) or anything like that. He may pass on a nutritional plan or strength and conditioning plan for the summer, but he's not developing them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not just sports teams, but business in general has gone "title crazy".

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Bolded is almost literally all he does. He doesn't provide on ice tips or coaching (outside of helping during prospect camp) or anything like that. He may pass on a nutritional plan or strength and conditioning plan for the summer, but he's not developing them.

No, it isn't. (Also I forgot Drury moved on to be an Assistant GM).

In his role, Drury, 39, will be responsible for working with the team’s hockey operations department to assist in the development of Rangers prospects, both on and off the ice. He will serve as a liaison between the hockey operations department and prospects in the organization, and assist in the evaluation of the team’s prospects. Drury will work closely with the Rangers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack, to further enhance the progression of Rangers prospects who are in professional hockey by providing encouragement and guidance. In addition, he will assist in overseeing and evaluating all players at the collegiate level.

Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

Seems like Drury was doing more than just passing on info.

I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find a single "Director of Player Development" leaguewide that isn't a popular former member of the team.

You're right, they are generally former players - but...

Arizona Coyotes - Mark Bell (never played for them)
Boston Bruins - Jamie Langenbrunner (never played for them)
Calgary Flames - Ray Edwards (never played in the NHL, no affiliation with the Flames)
Carolina Hurricanes - doesn't have one person, they have three
Chicago Blackhawks - Have two? I don't know, but one was hired who had no affiliation with Chicago before he was hired; Ian Gentile
Dallas Stars - They have two? Never played for Dallas, but was their conditioning coach since 1995
Detroit Red Wings - Shawn Horcoff (never played for them)
Edmonton Oilers - I don't think has one
Los Angeles Kings - Mike O'Connell (never played for them)
Montreal Canadiens - Rob Ramage (played 14 games for them)
New Jersey Devils - Dr. Aimee Kimball
Pittsburgh Penguins - Scott Young (played 43 games for them)
St. Louis Blues - Tim Taylor (never played for them)
Toronto Maple Leafs - Scott Pellerin (never played for them)
Winnipeg Jets - Jimmy Roy (played in Manitoba, but didn't play for the Thrashers or Jets)

A little under 50% of teams use players that really didn't play with the team or had an strong affiliation. But even if that was the case, why use Bombardir? I didn't think he was that popular? He has no affiliation with the state, wasn't a super popular player either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, it isn't. (Also I forgot Drury moved on to be an Assistant GM).

Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

Seems like Drury was doing more than just passing on info.

You're right, they are generally former players - but...

Arizona Coyotes - Mark Bell (never played for them)
Boston Bruins - Jamie Langenbrunner (never played for them)
Calgary Flames - Ray Edwards (never played in the NHL, no affiliation with the Flames)
Carolina Hurricanes - doesn't have one person, they have three
Chicago Blackhawks - Have two? I don't know, but one was hired who had no affiliation with Chicago before he was hired; Ian Gentile
Dallas Stars - They have two? Never played for Dallas, but was their conditioning coach since 1995
Detroit Red Wings - Shawn Horcoff (never played for them)
Edmonton Oilers - I don't think has one
Los Angeles Kings - Mike O'Connell (never played for them)
Montreal Canadiens - Rob Ramage (played 14 games for them)
New Jersey Devils - Dr. Aimee Kimball
Pittsburgh Penguins - Scott Young (played 43 games for them)
St. Louis Blues - Tim Taylor (never played for them)
Toronto Maple Leafs - Scott Pellerin (never played for them)
Winnipeg Jets - Jimmy Roy (played in Manitoba, but didn't play for the Thrashers or Jets)

A little under 50% of teams use players that really didn't play with the team or had an strong affiliation. But even if that was the case, why use Bombardir? I didn't think he was that popular? He has no affiliation with the state, wasn't a super popular player either.
Here's a thought, maybe he's actually good at the job.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He’s employed by the Wild and has a past affiliation with the team as well so I’m sure this is hard to comprehend.

So we went from a popular member of the team to someone that had past affiliation with the team? Isn't that how Walz got hired on as commentator? I mean why don't we bring back Alexander Daigle. He had past affiliation with the team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So we went from a popular member of the team to someone that had past affiliation with the team? Isn't that how Walz got hired on as commentator? I mean why don't we bring back Alexander Daigle. He had past affiliation with the team.
Just to clarify. You started this horseshit argument by claiming that Bombadir only got hired because he was a popular former player? Now the argument is that he really wasn't that popular? WTF is the point in any of this?

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis

We should bring back Kurtis Foster for some sort of job with the Wild. I always thought he looked like Count Floyd from SCTV

51l9YOualtL._AC_SY445_.jpg

580883_10151089237375794_2006199872_n.jpg

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The Wild aren’t in charge of hiring FSN broadcasters.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Wild aren’t in charge of hiring FSN broadcasters.
They are when it comes to the play by play announcer and color commentator, as they are actually employed by the franchise, however, the rest of the production is purely FSN employees.

That said, the Wild have always given FSN a large say in who they hire to call the games. Personally, I feel they have given FSN too much influence in that respect though. FSN begging and pleading for everyone to have local ties of some sort, instead of someone from outside with more skill. It's why we've had such a crap cast every time they make a change.

Russo has said that he's been impressed with the names of those the franchise has denied the positions to... always settling for those FSN was more in favor of.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Leipold needs to fire Lapanta and whatever other warm bodies take up broadcasting duties for the Wild games and hire Forslund. Offer him double whatever Carolina was paying. That guy is a gem. One of the best in the business.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Johanssons are playing against each other today.

I must admit. Seeing FJ being placed in Frölundas 1st D pair gives me a small amount of hope.

If I remember right, the way SHL teams list their lines/pairings has little relation to how they're actually used. Here are the current TOI breakdowns:

Selgren - Elliott - 14:30
Norlinder - Olsson - 11:40
Lennstrom - Johansson - 9:30

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I was looking at draftsite and reading up on some rules.

Would Johansson qualify for this?:

Compensatory Picks: If a team does not sign their first-round pick within two years, they will be awarded a compensatory pick in the Draft immediately following. The pick will be in the 2nd round, equal to the selection number of the unsigned player. All other teams\' selections move back one spot.

Do the Wild get the a 2nd rounder if they just don't sign him or does there have to be some type of refuse to be signed from the prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad